Landed in China Where all The record Spots!

HabitualHabitual 12 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Whats crackin guys. I posted a while ago inquiring about record spots here in China. Ive been here for about a month and couldnt find anystores in the more northern part of China I.E. Beijing Hangzho Xi'an etc. Im stayin here in Shanghai for a couple of days there has to be something here hiphop aside from shitty graffiti.Can anyone put me on to some reocord spots?Also Kenny if you get this im makin my way down to Hong Kong on monday any new record stores pop up?Shout out to Dj Day for puttin me onto this site awhile ago grats on the new EP.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Whats crackin guys. I posted a while ago inquiring about record spots here in China.

Ive been here for about a month and couldnt find anystores in the more northern part of China I.E. Beijing Hangzho Xi'an etc. Im stayin here in Shanghai for a couple of days there has to be something here hiphop aside from shitty graffiti.

Can anyone put me on to some reocord spots?

Also Kenny if you get this im makin my way down to Hong Kong on monday any new record stores pop up?

Shout out to Dj Day for puttin me onto this site awhile ago grats on the new EP.

Seriously, if you're talking mainland China, you might as well just not bother. There's no records, not in any real way.

If you're in Shanghai, stop by "The Lab" - the spot my man Gary Wang (DJ V-Nutz) runs.

• Davesrecords is over there, but I see him doing a lot of mail order

• Whats crackin guys. I posted a while ago inquiring about record spots here in China.

Ive been here for about a month and couldnt find anystores in the more northern part of China I.E. Beijing Hangzho Xi'an etc. Im stayin here in Shanghai for a couple of days there has to be something here hiphop aside from shitty graffiti.

Also Kenny if you get this im makin my way down to Hong Kong on monday any new record stores pop up?

Shout out to Dj Day for puttin me onto this site awhile ago grats on the new EP.

In BeiJing there??s a spot in the GuLou ("bell tower") district, next to a fabrics shop, that carry used CDs and some records. Can??t remember the name, but it??s at the end of the main road leading from the tower, by "The Blue Lotus" (go there and order a "Tintins travels", it??s awesome.)

THere are records in Shanghai. Theres a spot somewhere around Changhua station. Ask around for "Lao Chang Pian", it??s situated in a scrap market for computer parts.

Finds there included:

Sorry about the sketchy info, but just know that there ARE records around, and getting to them is fun.

- J

• Whats crackin guys. I posted a while ago inquiring about record spots here in China.

Seriously, if you're talking mainland China, you might as well just not bother. There's no records, not in any real way.

If you're in Shanghai, stop by "The Lab" - the spot my man Gary Wang (DJ V-Nutz) runs.

oh sh*t o-dub you know v-nutz? small world. i ran with him for a couple of years in shanghai c. 2000-01...gary is good people. i also recommend checking his spot and will cosine that there aren't many records, maybe a handful like cosmophonic pulled...but when in rome, or china, might as well indulge in the unlimited supply of da-ban (boot) DVDs and multitudes of ju-hua cha (chrysanthemum tea)...

In BeiJing there??s a spot in the GuLou ("bell tower") district, next to a fabrics shop, that carry used CDs and some records. Can??t remember the name, but it??s at the end of the main road leading from the tower, by "The Blue Lotus" (go there and order a "Tintins travels", it??s awesome.)

THere are records in Shanghai. Theres a spot somewhere around Changhua station. Ask around for "Lao Chang Pian", it??s situated in a scrap market for computer parts.

Finds there included:

Sorry about the sketchy info, but just know that there ARE records around, and getting to them is fun.

- J

Lao Chang Pian is the name of the store?

• "Lao Chang Pian" means Old Records, it could be the name of that spot, i dunno but either way, if you go round saying that, people will prolly know what you're looking for.

• hmmm cool thanks for the info. one more thing could the name be chang shu station insted. I couldnt find the stop of the other one heres the link of the map http://www.china-tour.cn/images/news/1538-1.gif

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    "JIO[/b] Chang Pian" means Old Records, it could be the name of that spot, i dunno but either way, if you go round saying that, people will prolly know what you're looking for.

I think

LAO = OLD FOR PEOPLE
    JIO = OLD FOR STUFF

if that makes any sense...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Hmmm...I find it surprising there aren't stuff in Shanghai. they have a rather strong population of Expats there that are into soul and jazz no ??

But I wouldn't know for sure. I would cosign with hitting The Lab by Gary Wang, they're doing some good things there with the music scene!

But hey, almost all of the best records I have now, I found them here in Hong Kong! So, maybe you'll find something you want here.

• We were in Hong Kong two years ago - pretty nice, check fleemarkets also...
    Some decent spots there, but I CANT REMEBER the names, because we had Syan as guide there and did not record every step...
    But there were shops w lots of vinyl there, only prob was to figure out whats on all that rex, because of the Mandarin writing...

check this link here to get an idea of what we did there:

www.discodiamant.de/downloads/HKG.rm

best,

scoper

• well i spent all day today walking my ass off and travling by subway and taxi's...No Records. I found alot of old 78's in old Shanghai pre 1960's stuff. Im off to hong kong tomorrow sounds promising ill post what i find then ill try my luck one more time in Shanghai when i get back.

Thanks guys

• I??m sorry about the names, I lived there three years ago, and never wrote anything down. I described the trip here way back, but the thread probably got lost during the SS meltdown.

The stop I mean is the one where you get off to go to YuYuan (the Ming dynasty garden and "old town" area of Shanghai). Lao Chang Pian means "old records", it??s not the store (I doubt it even has a name). It sells old broken record players, and there are a few crates on the floor. Dirty and dingy as fuck, but there were some good things in there. I??m sorry I can??t be more specific, considering Shanghai is HUGE.

Well, just walking around there is fun as well. Good luck in HK.

- J

Just saying: I've been record shopping in Shanghai (thanks to Gary) and while technically, yes, there are records there, it's really not worth the trouble. It's not like digging in, say, Sao Paolo or Bombay or Lagos, etc.: i.e., other massive metropoles that, unlike Shanghai/Mainland China, were developing countries which had thriving music industries. China never went through that moment thanks to Mao and his policies (not the least of which was the Cultural Revolution).

I highly doubt the ex-pat population there will make a shred of difference unless they decided to port over their entire vinyl collections and then randomly dump them on a non-existent market.

HK is an entirely different story but as far as the mainland goes, there are dozens of better things to do in Beijing and Shanghai than go record shopping (start with eating).

oh sh*t o-dub you know v-nutz?

Yeah - I met him back in 2002 and hung out with him again in 2004. Really good peoples - my friends moved to Shanghai in 2005 and totally helped them get settled - for a year or so, they even found an apartment in his complex. He also lives next door to the Shanghai Museum of Sex.

• Non-existent?

Are you calling this a...

(gulp)

FAKE FINDS POST?

Yeah Shanghai is shit for records (I lived there for a year and found just that ONE store), but I just wanted to show dude that there was at least something.

- J