Digging in Costa Rica

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
My girl's family lives in Costa Rica so we're planning a visit in a few months. Looking forward to the beaches but I'd rather catch a record store tan for the most part. I'm hoping the country's geographic location will make it a great crossroads for all kinds of soca / dancehall / brazilian / general latin fire.Any one have knowledge to drop?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dudes on here have repeatedly said that digging for records in that clutch of Central American areas is super tough. BUT you'll be there awhile, so I am an optimist you'll get something, be it trash or not.
    It will be Latin. Not soca. Not Brazilian because they don't speak Portuguese. Maybe new reggaeton records.
    Good luck mang.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I'd rather catch a record store tan for the most part.

This is where you are going wrong in life.

If it's anything like Mexico, the areas where you want to chill are not close to the one area where you can maybe find wax if you are lucky.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    twas tuff in CR. But I did get a florida garage 45 that I sold for 70 something dolla. Also got some panamanian salsa and a some JA reggae 45s. But I think I only copped like 10 records total, all of them pretty beat. It was tuff to even find a store with records. I got mine from a news stand dude. country's so fricken beautiful that I didn't even think about records for 9 out of the 10 days.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    word. thanks for the info everybody..

twas tuff in CR. But I did get a florida garage 45 that I sold for 70 something dolla. Also got some panamanian salsa and a some JA reggae 45s. But I think I only copped like 10 records total, all of them pretty beat. It was tuff to even find a store with records. I got mine from a news stand dude. country's so fricken beautiful that I didn't even think about records for 9 out of the 10 days.

what area were you in?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    rented a car and went all over the place. San Jose to Cauhita/Puerto Viejo then to the Pacific to Jaco/Bejuco then to Arenal and eventually back to SJ. If you're gonna find records they'll be in SJ.

• i wasnt feeling arenal much. felt like a tourist trap.
    the rainforest was the shit though...forget whta it was called...the little town that you gotta drive on the rocky ass road too and then you get to a little hippie town. gotttam! necesary. well run park. i saw weird animals there i'll never see again sober.

tamarindo is a great beach area.

eat granadillas in abundance and pour linzano on every piece of fish you see.

that is a country thats got its priorities straight

• seriously...fuck records...if youre in Costa Rica, and wasting your precious time diggin send me the plane ticket....

fyi: if youre into reggae or Jamaican culture in general go to the Caribbean side...the busride out there was like a scene out of Romancing the Stone with huge cliffs and lush tropical vegetation...cant speak on the Pacific side...

• i wasnt feeling arenal much. felt like a tourist trap.
    the rainforest was the shit though...forget whta it was called...the little town that you gotta drive on the rocky ass road too and then you get to a little hippie town. gotttam! necesary. well run park. i saw weird animals there i'll never see again sober.

tamarindo is a great beach area.

eat granadillas in abundance and pour linzano on every piece of fish you see.

that is a country thats got its priorities straight

the hot springs are nice dude, but in a theme park way.

my number one tip for finding records in central america is take an ad out in the paper.

that was how i got all my good leads, but don't do it unless your serious. many people will call you.