Lee Fields OG Check

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Any sure shot way to tell an OG "Let's Talk It Over?" I got this one sealed out of a basement unsorted pile tonight, but I am not trying to get too hyped, it just doesn't seem likely. Still...paste-over cover, brown inside jacket, etc...no dead wax etchings, though - anyone have a def OG know any tell tale signs? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    plaese to send to seattle for me to inspect, thank you

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nobody has an OG of this? I know it's raer, but I figured if anyone has it, it would be one of the Soul Strut crew...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    it's brown on the inside? probably an OG then dude

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the re-issues are brown also on the inside, they did a good job on the boot/re-issue...smell is the only thing you will have to go by, that and the basment thing..unless dude bought a re-issue, planted it in a basement and tried to pass it off as OG. smell it, does it smell like an old hardcover book?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm almost positive the reissue had a paste-on/brown inside cover. Same style as The F.A.T & Kashmere Stage reissues.

Good luck.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

the re-issues are brown also on the inside, they did a good job on the boot/re-issue...smell is the only thing you will have to go by, that and the basment thing..unless dude bought a re-issue, planted it in a basement and tried to pass it off as OG. smell it, does it smell like an old hardcover book?

Eric is right (is this the LP from '79 or something?). I've seen a Lee Fields reish that had the paste on back and brown inside cover. I'm guessing if you carefully study the artwork you may be able to see some pixelation if its a reish. Outside of that I'm sure someone else will know a tell tale sign (marks in the wax, etc.)

Unfortunately I think the basement aspect was only a tease, cause it's not "untouched" basement stock, it's just piles of stuff not filed yet, and there was a mix of used/OG sealed/newer reissues...dude's not soft on record values, so I think at what I paid for a sealed copy it was probably the re-ish...there were sealed 70's OG non-rares in that pile, though, so it's hard to just give up hope...

Anyone know who put out the re-issue? With some of these late 70's "reissues" of raer (and initially unpopular) records, I sometimes wonder if whoever is selling it just didn't have 9 cases of unsold OG's, and those re-issues aren't just the rest of the original unsold stock...obviously, you would think they would milk the collector's market one at a time, but stranger things have happened, if the casual collector's/reissue market holds just enough demand to sell out the 9 cases, why not wholesale them? I know, dream on...

I'm curious to know who presses reissues with paste-down/dark innards covers, cause that's dope, I would want to use them to press my shit up...

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    OG LABEL[/b]

This might be the only way to tell...Notice the circle that goes around the label. The reissues have them too but not as deep of cuts. Also the reissues have another circle cut where the 45 hole would go. And you can tell by the print on the two different labels.

Other than that the reissues are spot-on matches.

just thought of another thing that might work, if the shrink is split between two sections in the back. i know you know what i mean

OG LABEL[/b]

This might be the only way to tell...Notice the circle that goes around the label. The reissues have them too but not as deep of cuts. Also the reissues have another circle cut where the 45 hole would go. And you can tell by the print on the two different labels.

Thanks, guys.

The plot thickens, then, because I have no "45 cut" around the label...if anyone has the RI with that cut, a label scan would be more than welcome, and my one "deep groove" cut is pretty deep...my label matches up to that one exactly, except the color and text may be fainter on mine, although that could be the scan.

There is a spot on my label where you can see "sound of plainfield" faintly misapplied at a weird angle near the top logo, but that could happen on any record...of course, if others have it that are reissues, and the OG doesn't, then that would be a sign.

And, TheMack, the shrinkwrap tip is always a good one, but this one was "one piece." I definitely always see that shrinkwrap style as a dead giveaway of a reissue.

Now I'm getting hyped again, but fuck it, I'll just ask dude from the store, we're cool with each other, and he wouldn't even sweat if it turned out to be a $300 record, I've spent way more than that in there this year alone...he'll either say, "oh yeah, I had a case of those 20 years ago, that was the last one..." or "just got that in last week from Sco*pio!"

Oh, by the way, since I am slipping into uber nerdness with this thread, let me just say this record is completely fuckin' hot and I'm just glad to have a copy, OG or not!!

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    just thought of another thing that might work, if the shrink is split between two sections in the back. i know you know what i mean

It gets harder and harder cause the reissues have one soild piece of shrink too.

Trust me if your label looks like this one it's OG. The reissue printing looks like a computer did it. A perfect flat black print with no mistakes,no letters that slightly didn't get stamped hard enough, a perfect print. The red is completely flat too. This OG label looks like it has some gloss to it but it might just be that pic.

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts
    OG LABEL[/b]

my reissue also has no 45 circle cut, but I noticed that the printing is smaller, on side 1 all is within the (deep) circle, only the last 3 letters of "production" on the right side are out of the circle - the letters look like arial fonts and the colour is more orange than red on mine.
    hope that helps, and you have an original

ever figure this out?

and another question. are there alot of reissues like this? meaning, are there other reissues that are identical to the OG? that makes shit pretty difficult. pretty dumb to me. you could be thinkin you're gettin an og and drop 3 bills on somethin just to find out(or not find out) it's a reish

ever figure this out?

Well, this pretty much setlled it:

my reissue also has no 45 circle cut, but I noticed that the printing is smaller, on side 1 all is within the (deep) circle, only the last 3 letters of "production" on the right side are out of the circle - the letters look like arial fonts and the colour is more orange than red on mine.

groove70's showed me that I'm not as perceptive as I thought, since I had all the same differences between mine and the OG label, but when I looked at mine and the OG jpeg the first time, I saw them as "exactly the same" - oh well, I only paid $10 for it, so it wasn't like I bought it convinced it was an OG for big $$$, I just wanted the record - I didn't realize the OG was a 3-figure joint until I had brought mine home, for that matter.

damn. well it is all about the music right?.......right? *CRICKETS*

just kidding of course.

but this post did freak me out. When i got my Silhouettes record last weekend i thought of this post because it was super clean and in amazing overall condition, but it still had all the signs of an OG ya know? and that got me to thinkin about the reissue thing. i think they should have to make it clear that its a re-issue somewhere on the record or sleeve.

• Here are some pictures from my reissue. The reissue has an "abnormally" thick pasted cover (brown inside). Dead wax at the finish of Side 2 is quite slim (about 5mm) and has "A3-4-28-79-B" written on it. Dead wax at the finish of Side 1 is is even more slim (about 3mm). Shrinkwrap is splitted all over the bottom (see pictures) and on all sides. Labels are probably identicals to the OG. Vinyl is a 120 grams (according to my scale). I would even add also that the shrink looks to me that it is made of different plastics than the one we sees on OG 60's/70's alike, in other words, it looks and feel more "Ziploc" alike. When it comes to the smell, it smells the reissue. Hope this helps! (I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I am a bit redundant)

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

It looks like on the OG the tracklisting goes 1-4 on the 1st side. On the reissue, its 1,2,3,3.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    it's pretty clear but here is a picture of the reissue label.

looks like there might be two reissue labels.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you got a re-ish. The guy who reissued these is a Japanese fella from Eastern PA. He also did Breakwater Splashdown and Linda Williams re-ishes with heavy cardboard and all.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The guy who reissued these is a Japanese fella from Eastern PA. He also did Breakwater Splashdown and Linda Williams re-ishes with heavy cardboard and all.

werent both of those originally white inside non-pasted covers?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The Nerdery in this thread is frightening

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The guy who reissued these is a Japanese fella from Eastern PA. He also did Breakwater Splashdown and Linda Williams re-ishes with heavy cardboard and all.

werent both of those originally white inside non-pasted covers?

sounds right... Since the mystery bootleggers lives so close to my local spot... a bunch of them ended up in the bins. I was elated for about a minute until I asked the clerk what was up. He did edwards generation too.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    He did edwards generation too.

Wow... good to know!

• He did edwards generation too.

Wow... good to know!

Hi,

Any chance this is the same mystery bootlegger that did
    the Mighty Chevelles[/b] repro?

If it's going to be done, I suppose there's something to be
    said for doing it correctly. Apparently these releases are
    causing confusion in the bins.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you got a re-ish. The guy who reissued these is a Japanese fella from Eastern PA. He also did Breakwater Splashdown and Linda Williams re-ishes[/b] with heavy cardboard and all.

I was thinking of picking the L Williams reish up. My local Amoeba has one with the standard white cover (no cardboard). Anyone know about the sound quality on this?

SG

FUCK DAT YO. now ima have to go inspect my all my records and shit, or are these the only series of re-issues to have brown cardboard?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Did he sell them as re-issues, or did he run some counterfiet shit? I mean, if they are that close that it took that many posts / users to figure out, why not press 10-50 copies of some ultra rare record, don't tell anyone, and sell them on ebay for OG price?? With the brown inner jacket I don't know how anyone could tell?!?! Sounds like a new business to me....

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    He did edwards generation too.

Wow... good to know!

Hi,

Any chance this is the same mystery bootlegger that did
    the Mighty Chevelles[/b] repro?

If it's going to be done, I suppose there's something to be
    said for doing it correctly. Apparently these releases are
    causing confusion in the bins.

Or how about the recent invaders repress?

Original artwork is nice but there should be some way to easily tell the difference. The main way I can tell the difference on these is pricing. Stores around me will price everything they get that week from scorpio (or wherever) at $9.98, but the used goods are whole dollar amounts (like 5, 7, 15) with a different kind of sticker.

I believe the main reason these things sell so well is people believe them to be original!

It would be nice to see a stamp of approval that certifies a release as 1. legitimate and 2. a repressing. Hologram or other non-reproducible seal.

Oh and also a change of mindset regarding reissues....