Open Mind in S.F. is no more..(*sniff sniff*

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
SF dudes:Well, Open Mind Music in San Francisco will be no more as of Saturday. According to the homies that work there theY have a new building owner and she's the type to buy property and then flip-it real quick. So as of mid-to late Decemeber they've been having a massive sale on their stock to lighten the load and trouble of moving.They're planning on moving to a new location sometime sooner than later, but in the meantime SF has less record spot (or just maybe I do..who knows).I loved that damn store. I learned a lot about music from those binns; everything from disco, latin, house, brazillian, and reggae. Not to mention soul, jazz, and hip-hop. Sure it wasn't the best store to pull heat from (Groove Merchant) or the best place to get new club stuff ,new releases, and cd's (b-sides & amoeba) but still whenever you wanted to find some shit that's on the less expensive side of things, give it a listen, or really just wanted to stop by and talk shit while a bunch of hippy dudes from the pot club next door would loiter outside that would be the place to go. Anways......it's just records but still.....WHY MUST I CRY!?!??!?!

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    SF dudes:

Well, Open Mind Music in San Francisco will be no more as of Saturday. According to the homies that work there theY have a new building owner and she's the type to buy property and then flip-it real quick. So as of mid-to late Decemeber they've been having a massive sale on their stock to lighten the load and trouble of moving.

They're planning on moving to a new location sometime sooner than later, but in the meantime SF has less record spot (or just maybe I do..who knows).

I loved that damn store. I learned a lot about music from those binns; everything from disco, latin, house, brazillian, and reggae. Not to mention soul, jazz, and hip-hop. Sure it wasn't the best store to pull heat from (Groove Merchant) or the best place to get new club stuff ,new releases, and cd's (b-sides & amoeba) but still whenever you wanted to find some shit that's on the less expensive side of things, give it a listen, or really just wanted to stop by and talk shit while a bunch of hippy dudes from the pot club next door would loiter outside that would be the place to go.

Anways......it's just records but still.....

WHY MUST I CRY!?!??!?!

Open Mind on Divisadero? That was a nice spot. When I was in SF a few years back, I copped some nice pieces from there. Nothing super-raer or anything; just things I'd been after for some time, and not for crazy dollars either. Staff seemed pretty cool, too.

• Damn, stores are dropping left and right around here. But word is they're going to relocate though?

• Damn, stores are dropping left and right around here. But word is they're going to relocate though?

yeah, surpisingly this closing isn't due to slow sales. they just lost their space.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    Damn. That was a regular spot on the circuit when I was living in the bay, and those dudes were always nice enough...probably made hundreds of schitt slaps off of schitt records from their jazz and rock understock.

+ =

wash. rinse. repeat...ahhh, those were the days.

Hope they find a new home and are able to stay in the general vicinity.

[[[[[[[ damn this thread just gave me a 1998 lower haight bad acid flashback featuring evil trip hop djs going to tweekin records to buy blunted jazz records and gang starr cooltempo imports.... ]]]]]]]