Photostrut: HDR

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody ever try HDR? I just learned about it today. Some of it looks really cheezy, but some of it looks cool as hell.... I want to try it when i get my new camera this weekend....rrrr having a hard time posting HDR pics from flickr for some reason... just do a search on HDR and you'll see what i mean....

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I keep meaning to. You need a tripod or else it comes out like shit. Did you get a SLR, Gary?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I keep meaning to. You need a tripod or else it comes out like shit. Did you get a SLR, Gary?

No... those digital SLRs are to expensive. I had a canon A70 that I was really happy with, so I think I want to upgrade to the canon A540. That and a tripod should be enough to do the HDR thing. I learned to to screw with exposures on my A70, so I'm sure its the same with the new one. I actually went to costco last night to pick it up but they didn't have one in stock...

We should get a bunch of strut photo nerds to try it out and then compare our results.... Do you have an SLR?

• I got the wife a Nikon SLR for Xmas. I'm interested in shooting in this HDR business on my trip to egypt, can you recommend a link to a good how to site?

good lookin'!

well that article isn't that great (thats where I started this morning) but following the links at the bottom will help.

Thes, do you have a flickr account? SO NECESSARY!

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    Almost all of it looks really cheezy

Lot of potential for sickness though...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I've never heard of it (I spent too much $$$$ on 35mm to do the same with digital)
    but it looks great. Is it some sort of exposure bracketing trick that increases depth?

Shit, maybe I'll have to buy a digital camera after all...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yeah, the external links are where it's at. I mean, just gorgeous:
    IMG SRC=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Old_saint_pauls_1.jpg/800px-Old_saint_pauls_1.jpg>
    ...and I would swear this was a painting:
    IMG SRC=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/48/Old_saint_pauls_2.jpg/400px-Old_saint_pauls_2.jpg>

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    This is pretty much a process for getting more detail in the darks & less blowout of the lights?

I do this shit manually with 3 exposures, PhotoShop and sophisticated layer masking. I actually wrote down the process yesterday for somebody here. I should scan it in. (For those that don't trust autopilot).

• This is pretty much a process for getting more detail in the darks & less blowout of the lights?

I do this shit manually with 3 exposures, PhotoShop and sophisticated layer masking. I actually wrote down the process yesterday for somebody here. I should scan it in. (For those that don't trust autopilot).

I would love to read that, i've been messing around with (what seems like) a similar process.

This is my bitch, and she's a hard task master:

This morning would have been perfect for taking pictures. Big clouds, sun rays, deep blue ocean water... the lighting was freaking perfect. arg! And then I found out that the camera I want is 'online only' for costco. goddammit. i hate buying shit online (err... except for the soulstrut shop, of course!)

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Been messing with this process a lot lately as well. Got a Canon Rebel (old one) currently, I likes.

Castillo, would love to see your process.

Now some people at work are telling me I need a DSLR, but I don't know. If I can control the aperature, shutter speed, film speed, exposure, etc etc on my "point and shoot" then do I really need a DSLR?

Now some people at work are telling me I need a DSLR, but I don't know. If I can control the aperature, shutter speed, film speed, exposure, etc etc on my "point and shoot" then do I really need a DSLR?

Nope, you don't need an DSLR if you can control those settings entirely manually (keyword).

• Now some people at work are telling me I need a DSLR, but I don't know. If I can control the aperature, shutter speed, film speed, exposure, etc etc on my "point and shoot" then do I really need a DSLR?

Nope, you don't need an DSLR if you can control those settings entirely manually (keyword).

I need a little clarification - is this similar to a timed nighttime exposure? Or is it a post-picture editing technique in Photoshop or Raidance? or can it be done both ways?

and while we're at it: POST YOUR FLICKR PAGE OR YOU'RE SOFT

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92799433@N00/

I need a little clarification - is this similar to a timed nighttime exposure? Or is it a post-picture editing technique in Photoshop or Raidance? or can it be done both ways?

and while we're at it: POST YOUR FLICKR PAGE OR YOU'RE SOFT

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92799433@N00/

It is similiar to a timed night exposure because you are using manual settings for the shutter speed. If you are referring to the HDR process, it is something that is done post-picture. Either with film in a darkroom or digitally on the computer.

That wikipedia link has excellent external links to tutorials and information.