Remy Shand

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Ok folls,I was just re-listening to this guys LP after I saw one of his videos in VH1 Soul last night. I really like a lot of this album. Dude handled the production, played all the instruments, etc. He got skills. What is the overall opinion on this guy? Yay or nay?

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Ok folls,
    I was just re-listening to this guys LP after I saw one of his videos in VH1 Soul last night. I really like a lot of this album. Dude handled the production, played all the instruments, etc. He got skills. What is the overall opinion on this guy? Yay or nay?

Hell yay. I loved this album when it came out. He was a little underwhelming when I saw him perform in Central Park, though (he was the headliner for Canada Day).

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    He laid off the instruments, rejoined DJ Nu-Mark and...

I felt it was a great album, but he suffered the ol' Canadian syndrome. "Send A Message" was heavily promoted two months before the album dropped. The album drops, makes another video, and he's never heard from again. Sad, because his was one of a few soul albums in recent years that I liked.

Since John Mayer seems to be playing with everyone these days, maybe Mayer should hook up with Shand.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Yay. That album is a good listen from start to finish - plus, as you already indicated, he did everything on it himself, which is always in my book. Very impressive debut!

Another artist in a similar vein (self-contained DIY, "blue-eyed" soul category) that doesn't get the amount of publicity he should is Lewis Taylor. Anyone into this?:

SG

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yay. That album is a good listen from start to finish - plus, as you already indicated, he did everything on it himself, which is always in my book. Very impressive debut!

Another artist in a similar vein (self-contained DIY, "blue-eyed" soul category) that doesn't get the amount of publicity he should is Lewis Taylor. Anyone into this?:

SG

Cosign. Lewis I and II are my shits. Way under the radar.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    on a side note, apparently dude is the son of Alan Thicke. i dug his single off the album, but kinda figured dude was gonna be a one and done type of artist.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    on a side note, apparently dude is the son of Alan Thicke. i dug his single off the album, but kinda figured dude was gonna be a one and done type of artist.

Nah...you're getting R Shand confused with, er, "Thicke":

Similar sound, but with more of a "pop" element.

SG

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

That would be Robin Thicke:

And of course, his parents:

(mom being on the left, not right)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I think I remember some pop tart on here dissing Shand a while back, but I liked that "Send A Message" jawn. Definitely had it on my neo-soul playlist last summer.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    eeeh... really? Everyone was actually feeling this album? I thought the production was nice but Remy himself annoys the hell out of me. Always get the feeling like he is trying his hardest to be neo-soul. dunno, maybe I need to revisit it.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    eeeh... really? Everyone was actually feeling this album? I thought the production was nice but Remy himself annoys the hell out of me. Always get the feeling like he is trying his hardest to be neo-soul. dunno, maybe I need to revisit it.

Yeah... i really don't think he can sing very well. Still, I likeded that one song. I don't know about his other material (I think the other stuff from him that I heard I wasn't diggin' all that much, but I don't remember for sure).

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dude is from winipeg... so im sure that has somethign to do with his lack of stateside success.. but i give homey the props for staying where he feels good and doin his thing... he's mad cheesey ... but he was huge up here for like 2 months and then dissapeared.... i think it might of had somethign to do with the third video in which he revealed his long curly locks... twas not a good look.