what the hell are kids listening to these days...

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I fear I may be disconnected.. (insert graemlin) I have to dj a sweet sixteen party for these two girls at the end of the month... I am getting paid well so I am not going into with the idea of ..."fuck it.. let me school these children in some music appreciation.." I am well aware I will be playing the latest JT and Hillary Duff.. (bless you microwave) ... but does anyone have a little sister that age of a cousin or kid? What do these youngsters listen to?thanks

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I've got a sister around that age. A lot of Akon, a lot of overly-sentimental rock music (The Fray), surprisingly the new Jay-Z record. I mean when 16 year olds dance, it's just dry humping, no one really trys to actually dance, so you could get away with playing an hour long Lil John set and no one would really care. Here's a hint: Most kids that age aren't buying CDs, if they're buying music at all they're doing so on iTunes. If it's big on iTunes, chances are it will work for that age range, cause that's the #1 source for music for them.

I still think you should school them with some musical appreciation though, cause you know there will be that handful of kids who will know what's up.

Oh, and fuck sweet 16 parties for the record.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i've DJed for teens a few times before, and with my experiences i can say kids this young have no memory bank for music. going beyond 6 months is "old school" to them. i did a typical set of currents shit that rocks in the club, but the scene was really tame, with everyone texting or talking on their cell phones, girls all running around giggling and dudes punching each other in the arm. the kids that were dating were doing the sit-on-my-boo's lap / outward PDA thing. in other words, it's not a typical club dynamic.

the best advice i can give you is to NOT try to school these kids on what "real" music is about. talk to the girls who are having the party, ask them for their favorite cuts, and rip their CDs, since you're using Microwave. you have to appease THEM. if they're happy, then their parents (who are paying you) are happy. AND it's not about your skills or any of that shit - it's about selection. trust that they'll ask you to play a songs a couple times over, being shit you HATE, and wouldn't normally play. think about it - it's a bunch of kids. THEY GOT ADD / ADHD and their hormones 'sploding. they are unable to "focus daily."

you'll also have a lot of people asking you how you got into DJing, how it works, if it's hard, etc. from people who've never ever seen some shit like this in real life. don't waste your time getting into grown man talk with them. it's like talking to a dog. all they want to do is skratch the record.

also, get your weight up on some ne-yo and chris brown. everyone (especially the boys(!)) wanted to hear that shit.

• you'll also have a lot of people asking you how you got into DJing, how it works, if it's hard, etc. from people who've never ever seen some shit like this in real life. don't waste your time getting into grown man talk with them. it's like talking to a dog. all they want to do is skratch the record.

This also holds true for adults at the club.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This thread is hilarious. I say make sure you get paid in advance, throw on The Stark's Hoagy record, and it call it a day. I mean, it is music for kids. If you have to, pour a little SoCo in the punch.

• based on mtv's "my super sweet sixteen", it looks like their parties aren't too different from what u would hear at a mainstream club. in fact, most high school kids have a lot more free time to listen to music, so i'd suggest you get familiar with all that new sh*t more than anything.

i have a 13 year old sister and she listens to stuff like green day, the fray and plain white tees (whoever they are).

• Being disconnected from a teen's taste in music is a good thing.

• in england they mostly listen to "indie rock" and 80's dance hits...they also dress up like the 80's and there are plenty of dudes sporting a kind of rod stewart circa 1973 haircut..

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    If these teens are really that to what is nice music, I'm asking myself how we made it into this heaven ?? Or is it hell that we know about good music and they are not. I mean they are thinking the same about us, just in reverse !!!

Fuck it. Get the money and than play James Brown for 6 hours LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

Or random rap !!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Fuck it. Get the money and than play James Brown for 6 hours LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

wrong.

it's an easy formula to follow. grin and bear it. pass out your business cards & collect your money.

• Fuck it. Get the money and than play James Brown for 6 hours LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

wrong.

it's an easy formula to follow. grin and bear it. pass out your business cards & collect your money.

getting a lilttle buzzed helps too. I dj'd a party like this asa favor and it's really that not different or worse than deejaying for a bridge and tunell crowd. Actually I doubt those kids will be all up in your face trying to spill drinks on your laptop or making requests every 10 minutes.

From what I remember only the girls danced with each other and the boys just ran around and tried poping balloons. You might have to get on the microphone to get 'em loose since they probally won't have any liquor (read:PROBALLY).

And if there's any Asian girls, I know your punk-ass will be asking if they have any older sisters picking them up after the party.

wrong.

getting a lilttle buzzed helps too. I dj'd a party like this asa favor and it's really that not different or worse than deejaying for a bridge and tunell crowd. Actually I doubt those kids will be all up in your face trying to spill drinks on your laptop or making requests every 10 minutes.

From what I remember only the girls danced with each other and the boys just ran around and tried poping balloons. You might have to get on the microphone to get 'em loose since they probally won't have any liquor (read:PROBALLY).

And if there's any Asian girls, I know your punk-ass will be asking if they have any older sisters picking them up after the party.

wrong.

I know B***t is into asian girls, but really he's not a white guy. No..i'm serious...come on DUDE...i'm not joshing.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    don't waste your time getting into grown man talk with them. it's like talking to a dog. all they want to do is skratch the record.

dude that shit is mean and very funny.

also, hope to god that you don't have to play the new teenage rock sometime in your set. as disconnected i am to top 40 r&b, i would be clueless if i had to play '30 seconds to mars' or something like that.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    play beyonce 'irreplacable'
    the sweet sixteeners will love you for it

but who doesn't flip for that record

• play beyonce 'irreplacable'

i love that record

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Raffi and Parachute Express breaks for days

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude this shit is easy.

1. Record a few hours of commercial radio.

2. Open that recording in Sound Forge and edit out the commercials.

3. Burn to CD.

4. Show up to gig.

5. Play CD while pretending to do shit behind the decks.

6. Get money.

7. Go home.

• Dude this shit is easy.

1. Record a few hours of commercial radio.

2. Open that recording in Sound Forge and edit out the commercials.

3. Burn to CD.

4. Show up to gig.

5. Play CD while pretending to do shit behind the decks.

6. Get money.

7. Go home.

u are forgetting one very important element.

PEPPERMINT SHNAPPS![/b]

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This is what the youngsters are jamming to:

Push it push it
    To the limit limit
    Cause we're in it to win it in it to win it
    Oh yeah!!![/b]

Or if you're really down for the cause, show respect for T-Squad, these four teenage Black Eyed Peas-dressing hoo haa's:
    http://www.myspace.com/disneysnewgrouptsquad

• play beyonce 'irreplacable'

i love that record

Can the guys get a response song to this wannabe princess bullshit? Maybe someone can dig Sporty Thievz out of the mothballs.