Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    My favorite part.

"strong odors were reported in Jersey City"

what else is new.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/08/ny.gas.odor.ap/index.html

Damn, that stinks. A single gas leak seriously wouldn't explain such a smell, be interesting to find out what caused it.

• hip hop is dead.......and.....stinking.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    hip hop is dead.......and.....stinking.

zing!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    dead birds in austin... mysterious gas-like odor in nyc... weird schitt cooketh, for reals

• hip hop is dead.......and.....stinking.

I think it's jay on the top of the pile...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    My favorite part.

"strong odors were reported in Jersey City"

what else is new.

haha. that made me LOL.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    this is not the first time nyc has been subjected to weird smells
    there was the "MAPLE SYRUP ODOR INCIDENT" that occured 6 months ago which affected the same basic area.I smelled that one and it was sickeningly sweet and gross.

Someone is doing some testing on something[the goverenment or the terrorists who can tell the difference at this point].
    NYC has that Bullseye on it.

Also I heard scant mention of the UFO spotted over o'hare airport in Chi town.
    It h`appened in broad daylight ,pilots and airport workers by the dozens say they saw something very out of the ordinary.
    GET DAVID LYNCH AND ROD SERLING UP IN THIS MOTHERFUCKER
    SHIT IS GONNA SLIDE SOON

A purported UFO sighting at O'Hare gives flight to hopes that we're not alone

By Jon Hilkevitch
    the Tribune's transportation reporter
    Published January 7, 2007

It's rare for a newspaper story to emerge from the vast and dark unknown and hit at a primal level, tapping into the fact that many of us feel so alone and confused about why we exist, and giving us a chance to hope, to dream.

Video

E-mail this story
    Printable format
    Search archives
    RSS

Stories

In the sky! A bird? A plane? A ... UFO?
    January 1, 2007

Poll

Have you ever seen a UFO?
    Yes
    No

Admittedly, those big thoughts were not on my mind when the director of a UFO-watching group first called to offer an exclusive Chicago angle on what might be the biggest story of all humankind--a visit by an alien spaceship.

No, ET had not phoned home. But, said Peter Davenport of the National UFO Reporting Center, this was "an excellent, stunning case involving a genuine UFO from some other part of our galaxy or our universe."

We've all read similar reports--and then put them back on the shelf--while waiting in the supermarket checkout line. I recall one tabloid front page announcing that aliens had abducted Newt Gingrich. Not surprisingly, they gave Newt back.

Covering UFOs seemed to be stretching the definition of my job, transportation reporting. I looked at the clock on the newsroom wall and decided to give Mr. Davenport two minutes. But he was onto something.

The UFO story, published Monday, became the most-read piece to appear on chicagotribune.com. It was the top story on the Tribune Web site for four straight days, garnering more than 1 million page views from people around the world.

The reaction is proof that we live in a curious world. Maybe a curious universe too.

It turns conventional notions about what people want to read and hear about on their head. And it lays bare the reality that huge numbers of people explicitly mistrust the government, the military establishment and the aerospace industry when it comes to UFO sightings and research.

In our first of many phone conversations, Davenport assured me that highly credible individuals spotted a flying saucerlike object Nov. 7, and that it hovered over a major site on my Tribune beat: O'Hare International Airport.

So I interviewed the witnesses and tracked down some additional observers--pilots, ramp workers, mechanics and management officials at United Airlines.

They were all dead serious about what they saw, and the accounts--whether made from the tarmac or from 25 feet up in the cockpit of a Boeing 777--were consistent.

The unidentified aerial phenomenon was dark gray and shaped like a disc, it hovered in a fixed position above Concourse C of the United Airlines terminal, and it vanished with a burst of energy that cut a hole in the overcast skies.

The fact that officials at United Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration initially denied any knowledge of the incident--despite evidence I had that they were well aware of it--made the story even more appealing.

Little did any of us know.

News organizations from a low-watt radio station in Delaware to a TV station in Australia phoned me to request interviews. Jay Leno cracked jokes on the "Tonight Show" about inebriated workers at O'Hare.

Ufologists contacted me in droves with thanks for treating the subject in a serious manner and congratulated the Tribune, as a leading member of the mainstream media, for publishing a story about an extraterrestrial sighting.

The reaction is perplexing and somewhat discouraging. But clearly it speaks to the persistent fascination with the possibility that we're not alone in the universe, and there are mysteries of our existence still to be unraveled.

Dominique Callimanopulos understands why the UFO story is so seductive.

"When I was doing UFO research, I found that the sightings hit most people in a very child-wonder place," Callimanopulos said. She assisted the late Dr. John Mack, who became infamous at Harvard Medical School for researching UFO and alien encounters.

"People think this visit will be some sort of answer or salvation, that beings from another world will be able to help us solve the mess we've made on this planet," said Callimanopulos, a board member of the John E. Mack Institute, founded in honor of the Pulitzer Prize-winning physician.

"Everyone at some deep level does wonder why we are here. That is why there are so many religions in the world and conflicting belief systems," she said. "If we were to find our cosmic friends, we would have a real family, finally."

It would be nice if physical evidence existed to substantiate the claims made at O'Hare on Nov. 7. Airport surveillance cameras are trained on the airfield, not the heavens, and FAA radar has so far turned up nothing unusual.

How is it that someone smuggled a camera cell phone into a Baghdad execution chamber to chronicle the hanging of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein last month, but no one among the thousands of airport workers and travelers at O'Hare snapped a picture for the cosmic family photo album?

The answer, along with an explanation about how the universe works, remains a mystery. We earthlings possess inquisitive minds, but we are, after all, only human.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    the giants and jets' stinking corpses?

Slow news day.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    since we're on the subject...

Unidentified Object Crashes Into N.J. Home[/b]

POSTED: 6:52 pm EST January 3, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:00 am EST January 4, 2007
    MONMOUTH COUNTY, N.J. -- Authorities were trying to identify a mysterious metallic object that crashed through the roof of a house in eastern New Jersey.

The golf-ball sized object, weighing nearly as much as a can of soup, struck the home and embedded itself in a wall Tuesday night. Federal officials sent to the scene said it was not from an aircraft.

The object smashed a few tiles inside the home, but no one was injured.

The rough-surfaced object, with a metallic glint, was displayed Wednesday by police.

"There's some great interest in what we have here," said Lt. Robert Brightman. "It's rather unusual. I haven't seen anything like it in my career."

He said he hoped to have the object identified within 72 hours, but declined to name the other agencies whose help he has enlisted.

Approximately 20 to 50 rock-like objects fall every day over the entire planet, said Carlton Pryor, a professor of astronomy at Rutgers University.

"It's not all that uncommon to have rocks rain down from heaven," said Pryor, who had not seen the object that struck the Monmouth County home. "These are usually rocky or a mixture of rock and metal."

Pryor said laboratory tests would have to be conducted to determine if the object was a meteorite.

Police received a call Wednesday morning that the metal object had punched a hole in the roof of the single-family, two-story home, damaged tiles on a bathroom floor, and then bounced, sticking into a wall.

The object was heavier than a usual metal object of its size, said Brightman, who added that no radioactivity was detected.

Brightman would not disclose the address of the house or the names of the people who lived there, citing the family's desire to not talk to the media. He would only say that the couple and their adult son live in a township housing development.

Brightman said one man who lives at the home found the object at about 9 p.m. Tuesday after returning from work and hearing from his mother that something had crashed through the roof a few hours earlier.

The Federal Aviation Administration, which sent investigators to the town, did not know where the object came from, said spokeswoman Arlene Murray.

"It's definitely not an aircraft part," she said. "I can't speak beyond that as to what it might be."

In the neighborhood later in the day, residents chatted with each other in the streets about the fallen object, but none said they knew which house had been hit.

Robert Nalven, 55, said nothing this exciting had happened in the six years he's lived in the affluent development. "I'm happy it didn't hit my house," he said.

Copyright 2007 by NBC10.com The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/10664894/detail.html

strange schitt doth indeed cooketh

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You know what's gonna happen, right? As shit comes to a boiling point and right when we're faced with killing ourselves and the planet and all that, that's when the aliens are gonna come down and save us/kill us. It's gonna happen in December of 2012.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Robert Nalven, 55, said nothing this exciting had happened in the six years he's lived in the affluent development.

Dude's life must be on the boring side... I mean, it's pretty interesting, but the highpoint of your last six years?

• Hopefully it`s the return of the real schitt and New york will take hip hop back

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    You know what's gonna happen, right? As shit comes to a boiling point and right when we're faced with killing ourselves and the planet and all that, that's when the aliens are gonna come down and save us/kill us. It's gonna happen in December of 2012.

• You know what's gonna happen, right? As shit comes to a boiling point and right when we're faced with killing ourselves and the planet and all that, that's when the aliens are gonna come down and save us/kill us. It's gonna happen in December of 2012.

(99942) Apophis (previously known by its provisional designation 2004 MN4) is a near-Earth asteroid that caused a brief period of concern in December 2004 because initial observations indicated a relatively large probability that it would strike the Earth in 2029. However, additional observations provided improved predictions that eliminated the possibility of an impact on Earth or the Moon in 2029. However there remained a possibility that during the 2029 close encounter with Earth, Apophis would pass through a "gravitational keyhole", a precise region in space no more than about 400 meters across, that would set up a future impact on April 13, 2036. This possibility kept the asteroid at Level 1 on the Torino impact hazard scale until August 2006.

Additional observations of the trajectory of Apophis revealed the "keyhole" would likely be missed and on August 5, 2006, Apophis was lowered to a Level 0 Torino impact hazard scale. As of October 19, 2006 the impact probability for April 13, 2036 is estimated at 1 in 45,000. An additional impact date in 2037 has been identified, however the impact probability for that encounter is 1 in 12.3 million.

Despite the fact that there is no longer any significant probability of an Earth impact, The Planetary Society is offering a $50,000 prize for the best plan to put a tracking device on or near the asteroid ([1]).

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

It's rare for a newspaper story to emerge from the vast and dark unknown and hit at a primal level, tapping into the fact that many of us feel so alone and confused about why we exist, and giving us a chance to hope, to dream.

When Aliens are helping you feel less alone and confused about the reason for your existence, it may be time to make some friends who aren't conspiracy theorists.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

When Aliens are helping you feel less alone and confused about the reason for your existence, it may be time to make some friends. [/b]