Children of Men (movie related)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
great flick...the whole premise gave cause for concern for possible overly preachy, sentimental crap, but it didnt go there, it was great!...great characters, good story, cool sets, good music, comic relief, great action...two thumbs up!

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Just finished watching it. Very good indeed. Pretty impressive camerawork and just very well made.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Best movie of 2006 for me. Hands down. Some of those handheld long shots are out of this world, if you've ever made a movie you know how hard that is to do. Nice musical selections too, with the King Crimson and all that.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    yes, agreed. shit was dope and this dude was ill, as usual:

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    That's what I said a long time ago. Check the Best movie threads

- spidey

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Of course you were up on it a long time ago, Spidey.

But yes, very good movie. Music was fantastic.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    motherhumpin', "witness the fitness" up in there.
    excellent movie. anyone else catch that he could never finish an entire cigarette?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    motherhumpin', "witness the fitness" up in there.
    excellent movie. anyone else catch that he could never finish an entire cigarette?

saw it last night and liked it a lot. i didn't catch the cigarette thing, but noticed other subtle stuff. seems like a lot of small details could be caught upon multiple viewings.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yes, agreed. shit was dope and this dude was ill, as usual:

i'll fight you for him anna!!

i'm seeing this tonight. i'm hoping it is more engaging than pan's labyrinth

Did you all notice that his clive owen's character is always in either flip flops or barefoot.

- spidey

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i believe his cigarettes were 2/3rds filter and 1/3rd tobacco too

• i believe his cigarettes were 2/3rds filter and 1/3rd tobacco too

like in the 5th Element?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I liked it though I didn't find the central story nearly as compelling as the world created around it. The refugee camp scenes were

• dope movie.

the battery to the face was rediculous. and the battle scene where the dudes grab ki back was pretty intense and the blood spatter on the camera just added something to it.

also when did dubstep become the music of the future.

oh and Michael Caine getting down to some breakcore/drillnbass or whatever the fuck that was was funny as shit.

the blood spatter on the camera just added something to it.

Fronm what I understand, that was unintentional but they were in the third and last take of what is effectively a single, 10-15 minute take and as a result, they couldn't really stop and wipe the blood off (though they obviously eventually do). The DP thought the whole take was ruined but when they watched it on replay, they thought it actually enhanced it so they ended up using it as the final take.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Been trying to see this for weeks. Finally caught it today. This dystopian type stuff is probably my favorite genre. I need to get a hold of the book. There was so much back story that the movie barely touched on. We had a great discussion on the way home.

Clive is, hands down, the greatest actor working right now.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Just finished watching it. Very good indeed. Pretty impressive camerawork and just very well made.

Turned into a "war" movie but was nice to see the story move forward...quite a stunna!

• Certainly one of the best flicks of 2006 (albeit late). Mexican directors have been killin' it this past year (Inarritu, Cuaron, and Almodovar). Clive Owen is the man, too.

• Mexican directors have been killin' it this past year (Inarritu, Cuaron, and Almodovar).

Almod??var isn't Mexican. He's from Spain. But yeah, all three of those dudes are on some shit.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    guillermo del toro is the other mexican director getting heaped with praise this year. im waiting patiently for pans labyrinth to come out here.

• motherhumpin', "witness the fitness" up in there.

saw it last night and liked it a lot. i didn't catch the cigarette thing, but noticed other subtle stuff. seems like a lot of small details could be caught upon multiple viewings.

Did anybody else catch the scene in the Tate modern where the view out the window was a visual pun of the pink floyd cover? Pretty blatent, but funny.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

One of my most favorite buildings ever. I used to pass it all the time on the train into London and every time it was a sight to see... it's huuuuge. And it's all brick... must be millions of them in there.
    However the future of it is in some doubt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Finally saw it this weekend and highly enjoyed it.

Appreciated the weary englishness that Owen brought to his role and michael caine cruising to roots manuva made me chuckle.

Ending was slightly predictable but then I'm kinda with Odub in that what really sold the movie for me was the whole world created more than the main story thread. Loved the little touches they brought to the recreation of London as well, from the buses to the tube to the houses, it felt like a highly realistic idea of where the city would have progressed to in twenty years.

Did anyone else notice the animal theme running through the film? Owen's character seemed to be constantly dealing with dogs and cats not to mention the scene in the cow shed and the animals in the immigrants centre?

I think where alot of sci-fi movies fail are there treatment of animals. Look at Star Wars for example. The humans are clearly humans, but where are the regular animals, and not crazy alien animals. I think all the animals gave the movie a more humanistic approach. Also, maybe it has parallel with his character being moses/noah like that the animals appreciated him.

- spidey

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Did anyone notice the Banksy piece in the lobby to the gallery? It was a big chunk of wall with the two Bobbies (sp?) making out. I like that it was next to all the important cultural artifacts they were collecting, the statue of David, Picasso's Guernica, etc. It seemed to be a celebration of art and culture, with an emphasis on the UK, ie Banksy, Pink Floyd, King Crimson playing in the lobby.

I can't stop thinking about this movie. I really enjoyed it a lot. I'm sure it will get better with repeated viewings.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think where alot of sci-fi movies fail are there treatment of animals. Look at Star Wars for example. The humans are clearly humans, but where are the regular animals, and not crazy alien animals. I think all the animals gave the movie a more humanistic approach. Also, maybe it has parallel with his character being moses/noah like that the animals appreciated him.

- spidey

Yep you may be onto something there as the animals in general were very fond of him. They (along with the green fields in the country) also seemed to be a constant reminder that it was only humans who were now infertile, not to mention the old cliche about a pet being a surrogate child as well.

• choleracholera 101 Posts

- spidey

Yep you may be onto something there as the animals in general were very fond of him. They (along with the green fields in the country) also seemed to be a constant reminder that it was only humans who were now infertile, not to mention the old cliche about a pet being a surrogate child as well.

I saw this movie a little while back and thought it was great. The attention to detail, and the fact that it's sci-fi viewed in a realistic manner, is what did it for me. Anyways, the one question I had that didn't get answered (to my knowledge), is what was with the burning horses in the fields? I think they showed it a couple of times. My apologies if this has been addressed in the book, but I haven't read it yet. I have been told that the book goes into great detail.

I don't know if the horses have any specific, obvious meaning (in the book, maybe they do) but to me, it simply reflects the horrific conditions of this dystopian future.

• I don't know if the horses have any specific, obvious meaning (in the book, maybe they do) but to me, it simply reflects the horrific conditions of this dystopian future.

Saw this last night and I thought it was AWESOME. Halfway through the film I turned to my girl and said "damn, this is a good movie".

I was wondering about the horses as well. I thought they where cows, was it something to do with Mad Cow Disease?

What about the biblical refernces with the character Miriam? According to the Old Testament, Mirian was Moses sister who made sure he traveled down the river to safety. Theo being bare-foot looking for shoes?

I totally cosign on the amazing attention to detail in the movie. The political art, scenes, and scenarios (when they first enter the refugee camp ) completely make this fictional world believeable

Also I noticed how the movie was shot, a lot of first person P.O.V. angles, which totally brings the viewer into the film. I don't remember to many scenes where "Theo" wasn't in focus or wasn't in a first person point-of-view manner. I especially noticed this when they where hi-jacked on the road.

I also thought the violence in the film wasn't uneccesarry but functional to the film because it made it more realistic.

such a good movie..i dare any little dude to step-up and say it was " "

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I hated the previews

but will now check this

nice