Portland OR??

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
things to do? see? buy? eat?im going in 2 weeks to visit a friend and thought some of you may be able to drop some science!!!!??thanks

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    go see dan at jump jump for records. there's a local shop there with the BEST bread pudding evar. someone please chime in w/ a name on that. Go see Mr. Jeigh DJ on Friday nights @ XV. Portland strutters are 1st class. if you like boobies, definitely holler at the strip joints too.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    why thank you for all the info. and yes i like boobies.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    and yes i like boobies.

http://www.marysclub.com/

classic spot and the best thing in stumptown by far!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    record-wise:
    jump jump
    crossroads
    jackpot

If you read make sure to stop by Powells
    If you like art make sure to check some galleries there

Watch out for hippies, those smelly bastards are everywhere up there.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    the best thing in stumptown by far!

Ahem. Real headz beg to differ.

• someone please chime in w/ a name on that.

Grand Central Bakery

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    the best thing in stumptown by far!

Ahem. Real headz beg to differ.

I concur, while Mary's is a classic histroical monument and main stay in Portland, the girls or ughhh I should say women, are not all that and the place isnt any bigger than mcdonalds bathroom. It cool to stop by and say you did kinda thing but we have more strip clubs per capita than anywhere else. Marys is strictly for the Milf hunter IMO.

Check out Magic Gardens, Sassys, or Cocktails and Dreams. I also hear my brothers x-wife and her new husband just bought Dinos on hawthorne and are supposed to be making some changes. Thats one I can say Ive neer been to...but now with the family connection Im sure Ill check it out.

Stop by XV any Wed or Sat night and I'll extend my soulstrut welcome by buying you a drink. There are several more record stores not mentioned above as well. Have fun while your here.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I miss Portland. My girlfriend lived there for 8 years and took me on vacation twice to visit her old hood. Great restaurants, great communities, great record stores (Mississippi records had me wishing they took credit cards)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I miss Portland. My girlfriend lived there for 8 years and took me on vacation twice to visit her old hood. Great restaurants, great communities, great record stores (Mississippi records had me wishing they took credit cards)

Mississippi records is aiight, they don't sepparate out the represses from the OG's!

THAT SHIT KILLS ME!

Mississippi records is aiight, they don't sepparate out the represses from the OG's!

THAT SHIT KILLS ME!
    The only section where I have a hard time telling the difference is Reggae. Those JA re-presses look identical to the OG's with brown cardboard inside, screenprinted covers, shoty labels, etc. When I first saw their Reggae section, I thought I'd died and gone to record heaven. You can easily tell in most other sections. That Edwards Generation repress looks pretty damn OG too.

THAT SHIT KILLS ME!
    The only section where I have a hard time telling the difference is Reggae. Those JA re-presses look identical to the OG's with brown cardboard inside, screenprinted covers, shoty labels, etc. When I first saw their Reggae section, I thought I'd died and gone to record heaven. You can easily tell in most other sections. That Edwards Generation repress looks pretty damn OG too.
    That's what I'm saying....
    The reggae section is the first thing you see coming in the door and I was like Oh Lord
    it's on.
    But they were all represses.
    I can tell the subtle differences most of the time from experience, but separate out the OG's if their
    are any so I don't have to play record detective.
    Damn near every store keeps them divided.
    Jackpot puts everything together too and they sleep on shit big time...
    I pulled a SOUL-Can You Feel It and a Billy Brooks-Windows of the Mind both under
    $10 each from Jackpot.
    The crazy thing was they had represses of both those records.
    If someone went to the trouble to repress a record more often than not the ORG is
    a big money piece, right?
    No complaints though, thanks Jackpot keep pricing those OG's cheapy cheap!

Definately hit up Crossroads too!
    Although I overheard Craig Green (the record dealer) saying that Crossroads was downsizing.
    Any truth to that?
    Dan?

jackpot seems to be the perfect name for a record store. I found both OG for Coffy, and Funky Nassau for $10 in really good shape too.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Definately hit up Crossroads too!
    Although I overheard Craig Green (the record dealer) saying that Crossroads was downsizing.
    Any truth to that?
    Dan?

I can't shop at Jackpot because I pick up a record go WOW! realize it's a repress, put it back I pick up a record go WOW! realize it's a repress, put it back I pick up a record go WOW! realize it's a repress, put it back I pick up a record go WOW! realize it's a repress, put it back I pick up a record go WOW! realize it's a repress, put it back I pick up a record go WOW! realize it's a repress, put it back I pick up a record go WOW! realize it's a repress, put it back
    Since 90% of them are reissues it gets a little redic.

I don't think downsizing is in the cards. They have some empty tables right now. They are talking about ways to make it better including better organization and better adveritsing. Maybe Craig is going to downsize his section, but I doubt that too.

I don't think downsizing is in the cards. They have some empty tables right now. They are talking about ways to make it better including better organization and better adveritsing. Maybe Craig is going to downsize his section, but I doubt that too.

Good cause I love that place, I wish Seattle had something like it.
    Hell, I wish every city had one!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    whens the next record show down there? its time for a road trip...

No doubt, the Night Owl show is in April I think...
    I already asked for permission to go.

jackpot seems to be the perfect name for a record store. I found both OG for Coffy, and Funky Nassau for $10 in really good shape too.

How do you out-of-towners do it? I've been frequenting Jackpot since they opened and I have only found one LP worth relating (Laawaris OST). And that was three years ago. I never see OG heat there, unless it's on the wall for $50+ more than it's worth.

• i got family in portland, and my father is working in norway for some 4x4 part company over there, so i use to go on vacation over there every year. havent been taking pics on my other visits, but i bought a camera over there this year and got a lot of pics, heres some of them, in randomly order: dan/laserwolf/jumpjump, jackpot, mississippi, crossroads, and some various pictures.. if youre looking for hiphop you should check out 360 vinyl, very very good store for hiphop. you should also check out the adidas store downtown, its maddd fresh! grab yourself some food @ rock bottom brewery (mad burgers & beer brewed at the restaurant) in 2nd/morrison street.

i liked all these stores alot, but its MAD HEAT inside mississippi during summer, couldnt stand it, and yeah.. they had these two bums sitting on the stairs smelling like shit, one of them wearing a pink fleeze hat.

How do you out-of-towners do it? I've been frequenting Jackpot since they opened and I have only found one LP worth relating (Laawaris OST). And that was three years ago. I never see OG heat there, unless it's on the wall for $50+ more than it's worth.

Magic? Fake finds?
    No just luck I suppose.

grab yourself some food @ rock bottom brewery (mad burgers & beer brewed at the restaurant) in 2nd/morrison street.

Fred's record store recommendations were on point but...
    Fuck a Rock Bottom!
    That shit is a national chain like Applebee's.
    It's a fake-ass NW Brew Pub!
    McMenemins is the move, PDX has a million of them (it's a chain but they are all
    100% unique),
    Kennedy School, Bagdad Theatre, The Mission, Ringlers and so on.
    Just ask any local where the closest McMenemins is.
    Great food even better beer.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

All strutters need to take a road trip to the next Night Owl. April 14th.

Fred thanks for the pics.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Fred, that stack of bikes is a classic pdx snapshot. Stack belongs to the Zoo Bombers, who ride the MAX up to the Zoo and then cruise downhill several miles into downtown (no pedaling necessary). Pile has been somewhat controversial over the years because local businesses think it's a nuisance. Typical Portland Freak Bike Culture. I see cats busting this kind of set up in my hood on the very regular.

I hear tales of OG Baby Huey LPs being sold out of Jackpot for $10 (Rev Shinez) but have had no such luck myself.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I went to Portland in October, to do a presentation over at adidas (who made Portland their base just to spite Nike). I was only there for three days, but I thought it was real nice...

I took my 'board as I knew it was packed with skate spots and I wasn't disappointed.

I got to check out a couple of gallery exhibits (the Dave White show was on at 'Just Be', which was cool), dig for some rekkids, meet some friendly peeps - and eat some great food. It was really easy to get a cab into the center and then just explore and walk around...

Unfortunately, my agency (rather than adidas themselves) paid for the trip so I had to stay in a roachy motel called The Jupiter: it stank like piss (seriously, who puts carpet OUTSIDE?), was noisy and the water ran orange in the bathrooms.
    The saving grace was the Doug Fir restaurant with the Sam Flores artwork outside. Best breakfast ever!

I had to stay in a roachy motel called The Jupiter

That makes me laugh (and a little happy) to see The Jupiter called "roachy".

When I was in high school I spent a lot of late nights at the community radio station nearby, and always waited in front of that motel (I forget what it was called then). It was a rare night I wasn't propositioned for drugs or sex (or both). A few years back the Doug Fir opened and the motel had been converted into a hipster hot spot. The idea was that it would be a somewhat upscale hotel, with an ironic motel feel. But as you experienced, it pretty much sucks. But dammit, it's hip!

• grab yourself some food @ rock bottom brewery (mad burgers & beer brewed at the restaurant) in 2nd/morrison street.

Fuck a Rock Bottom!
    McMenemins is the move, PDX has a million of them (it's a chain but they are all
    100% unique),

aight man, i didnt know, im norwegian man, it tastes WAY FUCKIN BETTER THEN A NORWEGIAN BURGER. you see?

grab yourself some food @ rock bottom brewery (mad burgers & beer brewed at the restaurant) in 2nd/morrison street.

Fuck a Rock Bottom!
    100% unique),

aight man, i didnt know, im norwegian man, it tastes WAY FUCKIN BETTER THEN A NORWEGIAN BURGER. you see?

Rock Bottom isn't bad, but compared to some of the unique homegrown
    originators of this style, it's a bit stale.
    I've eaten at the one in Seattle a few times and it's decent.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    That makes me laugh (and a little happy) to see The Jupiter called "roachy".

Yeah, I mean it was cool for the money, I guess.. and if I'd have had time to check out the club under the bar it might have appealed more. But the on-site massage parlour (which looked suspicious, even though it probably was legit), piss-soaked outside carpets and general run-down feeling didn't excite me too much.

But you can draw on the chalkboard doors, which was handy for my workbuddy. Here's what I wrote on his door while he was sleeping - and his ensuing rage.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Your one looking dogg...I would recomend getting baked on some Northwest Green and hitting up the asian buffet at the top of this mall. (Pinoner square?) The name and location escapes me but yeah that spot is great...You should defaintly try to check out some of the scennery while your there maybe Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood, the gordge, or the beach...There's a few record spots around the forementioned spots are cool.. Everyday music has some picked over used recs..Also don't skip 360....Fuck I miss Po.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

No doubt, the Night Owl show is in April I think...
    I already asked for permission to go.
    Hopefully, I'll be allowed to fly out there for the next NORS.