So this David Axelrod DVD...

PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
IMG SRC=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/a/axelro_davi_davidaxel_105b.jpg>I see it's out.This thing worth getting or what?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    horrible cover

• horrible cover

yes, looks like a late 80s era depeche mode cover or some shit

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

"Heroin is a helluva drug..."[/b]

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• worst letter spacing of 2007.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This thread makes me smile.

There a MPS DVD?
    IMG SRC=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/m/mpssaba~~~~_jazzinthe_101b.jpg>
    ...and how's the Bataan DVD?
    IMG SRC=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/b/bataan_joe~_mrnewyork_103b.jpg>
    I need answers dammit!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    horrible cover

yes, looks like a late 80s era depeche mode cover or some shit

If that was an Anton Corbijn photo, it would have looked a lot better. It looks like the right side of his face (his left side) is blank, and he's about to become a member of a freaked out Phantom Of The Opera[/b].

"In the beginning, my face was smooth. And it was one color. BUT THEN I INHALED THE ELEMENTS I ENJOYED MOST. I BECAME HALF BLACK, THE SHAPE OF A TRIANGLE, EMBLAZENED WITH RAISINS. I FEEL THE FORCE OF DISCOURSE. EARL PALMER TOLD ME TO NEVER PLAY FOR FREE."

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I cry. I hope the DVD is good, at least.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    horrible cover

yes, looks like a late 90s era dave matthews cover or some shit

• The David Axelrod DVD is incredible. The musicians he played with are top notch. A+ Sound & Visual quality, and he opens with a roaring version of 'Paint It Black.'
    Well worth it.

The MPS DVD on the other hand is - too much time spent on the traditional Jazz musicians of the label, not enough time on the more obscure albums. I thought the DVD would include some incredible footage. Kinda lacking on that. However, if you want a good rundown on the history of the label - then you might like this DVD. Also, great footage of the black forest in Germany which looks

The David Axelrod DVD is incredible. The musicians he played with are top notch. A+ Sound & Visual quality, and he opens with a roaring version of 'Paint It Black.'
    Well worth it.

5.1 surround sound, I assume?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i hope its not as crisp and dead-sounding as that trailer that was going around on youtube, that shit hurt my ears. no warmth whatsoever

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I see it's out.
    This thing worth getting or what?

Didn't someone post a You Tube snippet of this awhile back.
    I believe the consensus on that one was....
    Seriously tepid

• How you people can judge an hour an half long concert (and say the sound quality is 'tinny') based on a 4minute compressed youtube clip is beyond me.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    How you people can judge an hour an half long concert (and say the sound quality is 'tinny') based on a 4minute compressed youtube clip is beyond me.

I didn't have a issue with the sound quality...
    I had an issue with the fact that the music was super sterile!
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

i hope its not as crisp and dead-sounding as that trailer that was going around on youtube, that shit hurt my ears. no warmth whatsoever

Well, it's also a compressed file, I would hope YouTube wouldn't be used as an example of DVD-quality audio.

Now, had it been mastered at 96kHz/24-bit, we wouldn't be talking about this. Then again, there may be a new revival of drive-in/Tastee Freez-style audio so you never know.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Well, it's also a compressed file, I would hope YouTube wouldn't be used as an example of DVD-quality audio.

Now, had it been mastered at 96kHz/24-bit, we wouldn't be talking about this. Then again, there may be a new revival of drive-in/Tastee Freez-style audio so you never know.

well i understand that much, but you can get a pretty good idea of how something is recorded even on a youtube clip, and what i heard sounded pretty awful. as in totally off the sheet music, being played by modern-day session orchestra players, being recorded "well" using, what im assuming was some state-of-the-art equipment ran by somebody who took some modern-day recording classes

aka

sounded like it wasnt recorded 35 years ago and played by jazz/rock session players who probably got to improvise the whole time on the rhythm tracks

i dont know

it didnt sound right. it sounded robotic, dead, and crystal clear, and it probably didnt help that i'd heard the perfect original recordings of most of the songs so i was just basing my judgement off of that anyway

p.s. i was just woken up by some drunk dude beating on my door/window as hard as he could and yelling racial slurs for like half an hour so i cant really think straight

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

This one is well done and enjoyable to watch, but don??t expect much information about raers.