Happy birthday to Curtis Mayfield

BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I know a lot of you guys are really into Curtis Mayfield. One of the best soul composers blows out 62 candles today.

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Hell------yeah. I'm sure Drewn, Castillo and Bam stand next to me in singing praise to one of the illest musicians of my lifetime.

• I know a lot of you guys are really into Curtis Mayfield. One of the best soul composers blows out 62 candles today.

I don't think Curtis is blowing anything out today....

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Curtis is god

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Hell------yeah. I'm sure Drewn, Castillo and Bam stand next to me in singing praise to one of the illest musicians of my lifetime.

Hey! Now I plan to be a bad titty sucker
    And I plan to stay a black motherfucker
    Stepped in depth of the same livin' hell
    So I ain't too proud to die here as well

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Curtis is god

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    I know a lot of you guys are really into Curtis Mayfield. One of the best soul composers blows out 62 candles today.

I don't think Curtis is blowing anything out today....

True, should be blowing out I mean.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Which is his best album?
    I like Sweet Exorcist but Superfly is what I listen to more.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Which is his best album?
    I like Sweet Exorcist but Superfly is what I listen to more.

I enjoy his entire 70's catalog for different reasons, but the one-two punch of "Sweet Exorcist" and "To Be Invisible" on the SE album is, how you say, "wut's rilly." Timeless music, timeless musician.

SG

• um, no, not really.

• This is probably blasphemy, but in quantity I prefer his stuff with the Impressions (not to mention the many records he wrote and/or produced for other folks)...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Damn - having a 9 to 5 means I don't get to see posts like this in due time, but

H1>HAPPY BIRTHDAY CURTIS!!!/H1>

Peace, love, respect and soul!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm listening to "never say you can't survive" right now. Is this not the most underrated album or what? Gettin goosebumps on my arms listenin and thats for real ya know?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Curtis is a true hero that stayed a hero.
    There's very few people you can say that about. So many self-induced tragedies walking the Earth right now.
    The man always stayed fresh. It was never a matter of being in the right place, right time like many others. This man defined the place, and defined the time.

One of the greatest composers ever with one of the greatest voices ever with one of the greatest styles ever with one of the greatest ideas ever.

And to pick favorites. I'm siding with Superfly. Then Roots. Then S/T. It gets harder after that. I'm just priviledged to hear his music.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    One of the greatest composers ever with one of the greatest voices ever with one of the greatest styles ever with one of the greatest ideas ever.

One of the greatest quotes ever.