Seriously though, how good is Boscoe?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2016 in Record Collecting
Is it dope? I mean, I'm sure no one's gonna say it's $1500-buy-it-now-on-ebay dope, but I'm just curious. Anyone call this record a certified grail/keeper/best funk record they have?

plaese to shcool me.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's better than feminism.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's better than feminism.

Why won't you tell us what your (declined) offer was, Reynaldo?

Offer history

User ID Offer Status Date of Offer

orange-thought( 79) Declined Dec-28-06 14:47:35 PST

stonecold_greasy_be_easy_best_believe_me_ho ( private ) Declined Dec-28-06 14:14:47 PST

prophet_blackmon( 301) Declined Dec-28-06 00:26:48 PST

reynaldo82( 544) Declined Dec-27-06 22:13:42 PST

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Where's the jawn where JT is rocking the Boscoe t-shirt?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Offer history

stonecold_greasy_be_easy_best_believe_me_ho ( private ) Declined Dec-28-06 14:14:47 PST

AWESOME!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Is Rey the one with the copy up now?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Offer history

AWESOME!

a trail of rejected strutters.

It scares me that I know so many of your ebay handles.

suggestion: N*te, T*m, and Rey all share it

N*te gets it Monday and Wednesdays
    T*m gets is Tuesday and Thursday
    Rey gets it Friday and Saturday

and on Sunday it rests

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    So are you like the last person on earth who doesn't have MP3's of this bullshit? Cause that would be something.

Sorry to say, but yes.

• well then brutha, merry belated christmas!

http://download.yousendit.com/8E45A63E42803F04

Thanks dude.

I will report back on grail or terd status.

I'm guessing this might be terdalicious... to the T, to the E...

Sorry. My girl's daughter has been signing fergalicious for several days now and It's all I can hear in my head!

Sorry to say, but yes.

Ha! You deserve an award of some sort.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    As another person who had never heard Boscoe, it's definately not a terd. If any record is worth that amount (which I'm unsure about) it's this. Thanks for the mp3, this shit is blowing my mind right now.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If any record is worth that amount (which I'm unsure about) it's this.

LOL

How can you put a price on such authentic suffering, you pig?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    High School poetry is priceless.

You have to admit, though, that if you found that writing on the wall song on a song Poem LP it'd be a grail.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I say this as someone who enjoys boscoe.

High School poetry is priceless.

You have to admit, though, that if you found that writing on the wall song on a song Poem LP it'd be a grail.

Quiet you!

I say this as someone who enjoys boscoe.

• I say this as someone who enjoys boscoe.

theres a theme song for that on some old tee-vee tunes commercial collection lp. "mama puts it in my milk for extra energeeee..."

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Boscoe has transcended the boundaries of what is considered "music" and what is a fluid psychological theory on the "virtual he(a)rd mentality collecting artifacts" in relation to internet humor, confused ebay descriptions, private funk, and a proper diet of fruits and vegetables.

If you're just speaking strictly about the music in relation the feelings that it invokes upon the listener, I will proudly say that I find it quite fantastic.

If we're talking about "BOSCOE" in the ethereal sense it becomes more of a conversation about ones "moral compass" and how it relates to sticking up for what you believe in and how people should appreciate and covet certain artifacts. Are there better James Brown albums, yes. Is it a terd? That really falls onto the onus of the listener and how they communicate their opinion over the internet.

Boscoe continues to blur the lines between reality , theory, love, hate, consumption and confused sexuality.

Did I gladly pay $500 for a copy of this piece of underground chicago music froma guy in Finland? Have I listend to it since I've "aquired" it? Will we ever find a true answer to all these questions that "BOSCOE" leaves in it's wake? That is something that we will have to leave up to our children and our childrens children.

Boscoe is a noun, a verb, an adjective, a mother, a daughter, a mortgage payment, a superlative, a piece of toast. It is all those things in one and I think that is what frightens people to their utter core being.

The writing is in fact, on the wall. Boscoe is on my wall. Wall. Wall will, wallingford, CT. Wilco. Wheat, skeet, skip bop biddly beep boop. Hope.

Damn us, damn us all.

If I had my way I'd eat biscuts and steak, everyday.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts

You need Jesus

• i offered him $21.75 for it.

seriously though i'd go to $75 on that piece. nah mean.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    COURTESY OF EARFUZZ.com --Junior

Boscoe!

Boscoe: We Ain't Free and If I Had My Way

Whenever an exceedingly rare record comes up for auction it delivers the same range of responses. Half the people think the album is an overpriced pile of poo, the other half would happily pay the extortionate amount asked to get their hands on what they consider a grail in record collecting. What it seems to break down to is that while the album may not be worth the money asked for it, the knowledge that you can't pick up a reissue in your local store and that you are among the select few lucky enough to have it on vinyl adds extra enjoyment to the pleasure of listening. Sonic elitism in full effect my friends.

A classic example of this is Boscoe's self-titled opus. A private label record on the truly awesomely named Kingdom of Chad that is still to be reissued, the album goes for a staggering amount of money whenever it appears. While it could be debated if any album is worth this much money I am fully convinced that this is an undeniably great recording.

We Ain't Free goes some way to illustrating why people talk about this album in hushed reverence. An 8 minute stomper of funk featuring sweet harmonies, a riff that bangs round your head for days after, and the kind of breaks that make a producer feel like a kid in a candy store this is a blindingly hot track.

While If I Had My Way is less jawdropping than We Ain't Free it's still a great slice of funk with a lovely horns/bass play off. It's always struck me, considering the record is a private press, how superb the production on the album is - crystal clear clarity and deep deep bass.

I can't go out and recommend picking up this album for obvious reasons but hopefully it goes some way to illustrating why some people will drop so much dosh on a 12" piece of round vinyl........

Labels: Funk

posted by Junior at 11:58 AM Permalink | Comments (9) | Trackback

• The boscoe thing has like passed beyond into another dimension of online in-joke....

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    COURTESY OF EARFUZZ.com --Junior

Boscoe!

Boscoe: We Ain't Free and If I Had My Way

Whenever an exceedingly rare record comes up for auction it delivers the same range of responses. Half the people think the album is an overpriced pile of poo, the other half would happily pay the extortionate amount asked to get their hands on what they consider a grail in record collecting. What it seems to break down to is that while the album may not be worth the money asked for it, the knowledge that you can't pick up a reissue in your local store and that you are among the select few lucky enough to have it on vinyl adds extra enjoyment to the pleasure of listening. Sonic elitism in full effect my friends.

A classic example of this is Boscoe's self-titled opus. A private label record on the truly awesomely named Kingdom of Chad that is still to be reissued, the album goes for a staggering amount of money whenever it appears. While it could be debated if any album is worth this much money I am fully convinced that this is an undeniably great recording.

We Ain't Free goes some way to illustrating why people talk about this album in hushed reverence. An 8 minute stomper of funk featuring sweet harmonies, a riff that bangs round your head for days after, and the kind of breaks that make a producer feel like a kid in a candy store this is a blindingly hot track.

While If I Had My Way is less jawdropping than We Ain't Free it's still a great slice of funk with a lovely horns/bass play off. It's always struck me, considering the record is a private press, how superb the production on the album is - crystal clear clarity and deep deep bass.

I can't go out and recommend picking up this album for obvious reasons but hopefully it goes some way to illustrating why some people will drop so much dosh on a 12" piece of round vinyl........

Labels: Funk

posted by Junior at 11:58 AM Permalink | Comments (9) | Trackback

Ha ha

In my defence I posted this on Soulstrut Boscoe day. And I was drunk.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    The boscoe thing has like passed beyond into another dimension of online in-joke....

i finally listened...

i downloaded that ish and tried to fall asleep/pass out to it... honestly, i found some songs annoying... the record is interesting, in the sense that it's like the free jazz flipside to early Kool and the Gang's "jazz" influences, but i mean as a funk piece, compared to something like the Invaders? not even in the same league...

funk piece

I haven't listened to the Boscoe in a while, but I'm
    pretty sure the lyrics to Red Moon by Fugi poop
    all over anything Boscoe tries to bring.

But keep making threads about it, I love it. I just
    wish Reynaldo would stop ignoring me and tell us what
    his declined offer for it was.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Boscoe has transcended the boundaries of what is considered "music" and what is a fluid psychological theory on the "virtual he(a)rd mentality collecting artifacts" in relation to internet humor, confused ebay descriptions, private funk, and a proper diet of fruits and vegetables.

If you're just speaking strictly about the music in relation the feelings that it invokes upon the listener, I will proudly say that I find it quite fantastic.

If we're talking about "BOSCOE" in the ethereal sense it becomes more of a conversation about ones "moral compass" and how it relates to sticking up for what you believe in and how people should appreciate and covet certain artifacts. Are there better James Brown albums, yes. Is it a terd? That really falls onto the onus of the listener and how they communicate their opinion over the internet.

Boscoe continues to blur the lines between reality , theory, love, hate, consumption and confused sexuality.

Did I gladly pay $500 for a copy of this piece of underground chicago music froma guy in Finland? Have I listend to it since I've "aquired" it? Will we ever find a true answer to all these questions that "BOSCOE" leaves in it's wake? That is something that we will have to leave up to our children and our childrens children.

Boscoe is a noun, a verb, an adjective, a mother, a daughter, a mortgage payment, a superlative, a piece of toast. It is all those things in one and I think that is what frightens people to their utter core being.

The writing is in fact, on the wall. Boscoe is on my wall. Wall. Wall will, wallingford, CT. Wilco. Wheat, skeet, skip bop biddly beep boop. Hope.

Damn us, damn us all.

If I had my way I'd eat biscuts and steak, everyday.

THIS IS WHY I PAY TO POST HERE.

- spidey