Favorite James Brown protege/productions.....

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I gotta go with the Hank Ballard sides...."youre so sexy" "are you lonely for me baby" "Thrill on the Hill" "Come on Wit it" "Blackenized" "From the Love Side"...lots of others...not a bummer in the bunchas far as the stable of ladies go...I gotta with Vickie Anderson...shame she wasnt recorded as much as Marva Whitney, Vickie is a much much better singer. The Jewels were pretty bangin' as well...what are your favorites....

Comments

• Bobby Byrd's sides are totally underrated. His phrasing is extremely close to James', and since they grew up together, you kinda wonder if JB took Byrd's basic style and ran with it (ala Chuck Berry and Johnnie Johnson)?

And you ever notice how all the women in JB's revue, from Yvonne Fair right on up to Tomi Rae Hynie (his most recent widow) all HOLLER? Listen to Marva Whitney's sides on Excello, she's not screamin' all out of her range like she was on the stuff on King that JB produced.

• Where do the JB's fit into this conversation? I listened to "Damn Right! I am Somebody," today, and that was the album that really moved me past JB backwhen. That was the one for me, then back to all of their other work. They get my vote on the fellas...plus, Maceo, dropping 'Soul of a Blackman,"...wow. Heavy shit takes longer.

As for the ladies, Lyn Collins was my first, but marva is my favorite. Love the screamin'...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Myra Barnes AKA Vicki Anderson: SUPER GOOD (AKA SUPER RAW[/b])

Bobby Byrd: Hot Pants, Doin' the Do, Headquarters, Back from the Dead

James Crawford: Strung Out

Hank Ballard: Blackenized, From the Love Side

The Dapps: There Was a Time/Rabbit Got the Gun/Bringing Up The Guitar

Marie Queenie Lyons: See & Don't See

Dee Felice Trio: There Was a Time

Marva Whitney: Things Got to Get Better, It's My Thing

Lyn Collins: Think, Mama Feelgood, Rock Me Again & Again & Again & Again & Again & Again

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Myra Barnes AKA Vicki Anderson: SUPER GOOD (AKA SUPER RAW[/b])

Hank Ballard: From the Love Side

The Dapps: Rabbit Got the Gun

Dee Felice Trio: There Was a Time

Marva Whitney: Things Got to Get Better, It's My Thing

Lyn Collins: Think, Mama Feelgood,

These are the ones that immediately come to mind for me. Also, "A Message to the Soul Sisters."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    DeVons- I found Someone TO Treat ME the Way that You Used To

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Well for the female's I gotta go with Lyn Collins, simply because Think is one of my favorite songs of all time. A true classic in my book. Between Vicki and Marva I would take Marva. I just like her hollering (literally) better, plus she had some real good material to work with as well.

As for the men, I gotta go with Hank Ballard. How You Gonna Get Respect and From The Love Side are just too tought to ignore. Bobby Byrd however has the most material.

• Oh, man, just remembered - "What My Baby Needs Now Is A Little More Lovin'", his 1972 duet single with Lyn Collins, even though James gets most of the solo lines (Lyn just harmonizes on the chorus, plus sings a verse during the bridge). Love this song - the band sounds a little Vegasy, as if they were auditioning for Johnny Carson, but it totally works for this song. And there's Fender Rhodes electric piano all over the place; this song just SCREAMS early '70s. In a good way.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Fred Wesley.
    Bootsy Collins did his stint with JB too. That's when Bootsy started dropping acid...

• One of my personal favourites that comes to mind is Sweet Charles "Yes It's You" from: