A humble gift, etc...

squiidsquiid 35 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
My cousin just had this transfered from reel-to-reel and bestowed upon me a copy:Archie Whitewater - Unreleased Second AlbumHalf of this album is the second, recorded just before Cadet folded or whatever; the other half is commercial music the band recorded (for Levis I think).Enjoy.

Comments

• woah! thanks. Downloading now

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    THANKS... i remember you mentioning something about these reels in the past, glad to hear they were found and transferred

• No problem. This one's a bit more straight-forward rock than the first album; think I may enjoy it more.

On another related note, anyone in the North Jersey/NYC area know of a good place to transfer reel-to-reel to CD? He has several other reels he wanted transfered, so I told him I'd inquire.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Crazy...

Thx Heaps!

• Oh yeah, and sorry 'bout the ID tags, there were no titles to any of these. I'm also not 100% sure which were advertisement tracks, and which were to go on the album proper.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Pfff! Thank you!

Are the reels multitracks or just stereo?

• Pfff! Thank you!

Are the reels multitracks or just stereo?

Good question; I honestly don't know.

I should think they're multitracks, but I could be wrong. He may just need a format-change, in which case I suppose they'd be stereo?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Just did a quick needle drop, pretty nice.
    Definitely sounds like an extension of the first LP.
    If I were you I'd holler at Egon or Light In The Attic or Votel or somebody to try and get some dough for an official release or somthing.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Nice. I found a couple of reels myself. One of them is an unreleased '71 LP by the band Two Guns (Their only release was Balls Out on Capricorn from '79), complete with handwritten lyric sheets. It's nothing mind-blowing, though. It's country-rock with some quasi-psychedelic elements (and a drum break!). The other one was the B-side to Arthur Gee on Tumbleweed, which can be found in the Acid Archives. A very generous co-worker with a studio burned them for me, but he's venomously against music uploaded to the Web

• Just did a quick needle drop, pretty nice.
    If I were you I'd holler at Egon or Light In The Attic or Votel or somebody to try and get some dough for an official release or somthing.

Yeah definitely. I asked him if I could offer the album to Egon; he seemed fine with it. Not sure how it would all work out in legal terms (who owns the recordings, songs, etc), but it's worth a shot. Think it definitely deserves some form of proper release.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Think it definitely deserves some form of proper release.

No doubt. There's a market for it, nice story behind it and most importantly, the music is good.
    Best of luck.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Thanks, man. Amazing music--too good to not share.

• thank you!!!!!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Looking forward to this. Is there any contact with the original band, or does anyone know who might have more info on this?

• Enjoy.

I did this, and will continue to.

Thanks!

• Looking forward to this. Is there any contact with the original band, or does anyone know who might have more info on this?

The only band member with whom I myself have any contact is Tony Vece (bass). Not sure with whom he's in contact.
    He did tell me who held the rights, but Monday is a bit of a haze, so i can't well recall.

I do seem to remember that this was recorded in 1970 or 71. The horn section from the first album (they were Buddy Rich's) are absent, as is the female vocalist who sung on many of the first album's tracks. I'm fairly sure that most of the players on this one consist solely of the actual band itself.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    thanx a mil. son
    I enjoi this

• Just did a quick needle drop, pretty nice.

I agree with Quo's statements. It does sound like an extension of the first. It had it on repeat and must have listened to it 10 times today at work. I can already feel that it will be a staple in my daily music consumption. Plus the first album is one of my favorite out of my collection.

Squiid good lookin out on this jont. I think someone should do some research on it hopefully someone can reish it and do a nice little write up on it. I wonder how many copies of this are out there on reel to reel or if it was ever made into any other format.

Thanks

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Thanks for sharing. Indeed a continuation of the S/T, and I'm sure there is more than plenty a demand for an official release. Be careful when dealing with those tapes. Get them to a proper archivist. Don't want them to stretch or crack.

• My cousin just had this transfered from reel-to-reel and bestowed upon me a copy:

Archie Whitewater - Unreleased Second Album

Half of this album is the second, recorded just before Cadet folded or whatever; the other half is commercial music the band recorded (for Levis I think).

Enjoy.

Thank you so much man, this is the thread of the year, dope beyond belief. I'm a music attorney, and if I can answer any questions for you about licensing, ownership issues, or whatever feel free to shoot me a private message.

• wow!

Very dope, thank you.

• Thanks for sharing. Indeed a continuation of the S/T, and I'm sure there is more than plenty a demand for an official release. Be careful when dealing with those tapes. Get them to a proper archivist. Don't want them to stretch or crack.

Aye, true. My question, then, still stands: if anyone happens to know of someone in the NYC or North Jersey area that can do a nice job transfering some tapes, let me know, and I'll pass the info along.

Thank you so much man, this is the thread of the year, dope beyond belief. I'm a music attorney, and if I can answer any questions for you about licensing, ownership issues, or whatever feel free to shoot me a private message.

Thanks, appreciate the offer; when the time comes, if he needs it, I'll put him in contact with you.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Jesus, how is this stuff so luminous?

I took a long lunch so I could listen to it out in the world, and although it's a golden day here in Chicago, the world still came in second.

Squiid, I cannot thank you enough for sharing this.

• Much obliged squiid! Really appreciate this.

• Alright!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Just brilliant. This is killing me at the moment.

Many thanks Squid.

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts
    Sorry to bring back a deaded thread, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies (and the msPaint style drawing, as they warm my soul). Also bumping this just to say that I sent an email to Egon, hoping he'll let the album see a proper release. Should I hear anything back, I'll put it up.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Thanks for sharing. Indeed a continuation of the S/T, and I'm sure there is more than plenty a demand for an official release. Be careful when dealing with those tapes. Get them to a proper archivist. Don't want them to stretch or crack.

Aye, true. My question, then, still stands: if anyone happens to know of someone in the NYC or North Jersey area that can do a nice job transfering some tapes, let me know, and I'll pass the info along.

Paul Gold of Brooklyn Phono/Vinyl Mastering is a mastering engineer/lathe and tape machine repairman, quite well known and respected in the engineering circles, and his studio is outfitted to transfer, master, etc. I've worked with him, his prices are reasonable and he is extremely kind and helpful:

http://www.brooklynphono.com/
    http://www.vinylmastering.net/

• Just chiming in to say that this is fantastic and many, many customers have asked about it upon hearing it in my shop.

Thanks so much and here's to hoping it gets a full release.

• Just chiming in to say that this is fantastic and many, many customers have asked about it upon hearing it in my shop.

Thanks so much and here's to hoping it gets a full release.

i cannot wait to hear this. a kind soulstrut brother is throwing it on cd, so i'll be able to hear it very soon. thanks in advance.

archie whitewater =

(although im sad to hear they lost the girl on the second record)