CNN reports: RIP James Brown

1235»

Comments

• per0per0 152 Posts
    Sadly missed, but his sound lives on.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Damn, devastating news!
    Dilla passed now James is dead, where are my heroes?

R.I.P Mr Dynamite!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Only heard a rumour by text and finally got back home today to find out it's true.

May he rest in peace, one of the true true greats to ever bless music.

• I found yesterday morning on the radio. I just sat in the car for a bit, stunned. He'll be missed, but his music will live on forever.

• I found out a day late, while sitting to diner at my folks' place. My dad asked me what I thought about his passing, and it was like a kick to the face. I can't explain it, but James Brown was just someone who I assumed would be around forever.

Rest in peace to a true innovator.

• I just got back from out of town and no-soulstrut-land. So while it is a bit belated, I just wanted to add my own RIP. I am listening to Sex Machine live double LP now. The man was just the best to do it. Funkier than a million small label big money records. Maybe this will inspire some of the younger heads to put their quests for the hyper-obscure on hold and dust off (or pick up) copies of the man's classics.

Goddamn. You know, I normally don't get surprised by this shit because it's just a part of the cycle of life but I didn't expect this. Devastating.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rest In Peace

I'm glad to hear that he was performing and doing well in his last years. He did hit a rough patch between '88 - 98 or so. Other than that, nothing but bring it every night for decades and decades.

I've memtioned it before, but since it was a major moment in my life, I will mention it again. Saw him in '80s at Lung Fungs on 82nd in Portland. Convereted bowling alley. He spent most of the night on one knee asking if he could scream; YEAH! Or asking for someone to help him, which no one ever did, even though we were inches away. He always managed to get back up and sing a verse, perioette, do the splits, before falling to the floor again. I shook his hand.

Saw him twice again in the 80s, at bumper shoot around '84, Key Arena. Then about a year later at the Seattle Paramount, Mary Wells, Martha Reeves and Etta James opened, giant band with Fred Wesley. Guy in front of me kept telling his date "That's Soul!". James played every instrument on the stage, could still do the splits.

Let's have a moment of silence for the Hardest Working Man In Show Business, The King Of Soul, JAMES BROWN! .........

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Rest In Peace.

• ........I still don't believe it.........

His music really changed my life in good