Bay Area peoples...earthquakes (semi RR)

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
It's kind of creepy how there were two earthquakes in Berkeley of the same magnitude, only days apart. The thought of a big one is scary, but it's not really worth agonizing over every day. As far as records go...I was sitting here in my little studio with record shelves covering 3 of the 4 walls. It started rumbling and kept going for a little bit and I was like "uhmmm, that's not the N Judah." Then I realized this is probably not a good spot to be sitting in. Do you do any special earthquake proofing as far as your records go? My expedits are screwed into the wall, but only with a bracket and it could probably just rip out of the drywall (not sure if I got the studs).Anybody have any earthquake/record collection experience?I hope my shelves are secure enough. I don't want my Eric B and Rakim J.U.I.C.E. 12 inch to fall off the shelf. That would truly be ................terrible, I know.

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    back when we had the 7.1 all my records stayed on the shelves. i only had a few hundred back then though.

its really all about where in the city and/or what city you are in. my folks live in the outer mission where there werent many problems like on the shakey grounds on the waters edges of the city that is landfill. though my gf at the time lived in west portal and there were quite a few houses knocked off their foundations. however if youre where the N runs i wouldnt worry about it. though if another large quake ran through the bay who knows?

anyway... ive never had an earthquake ruin my stuff.

...however ive just jinxed us so were all fucked now...

• YO, I JUST FELT ANOTHER ONE! Shit, the one last night woke me up and felt like it lasted a lot longer than Wednesday's.

The one a second ago was really quick, but hard.

What the fuck is going on?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    YO, I JUST FELT ANOTHER ONE! Shit, the one last night woke me up and felt like it lasted a lot longer than Wednesday's.

The one a second ago was really quick, but hard.

What the fuck is going on?
    I felt that too (in Richmond): 3.5

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc51177121.html

This site seems pretty fast in putting up the information (like a minute @ most).

Shit is crazy. R*$$--I can't believe you just cursed.

• My house is on a hill. The backyard is about 20 or 30 feet lower than the front door entrance. When a jolt hit last night it was real quick but it felt like a 8.0 the way my house shook. I'm in a 100 year old Victorian. My next door neighbor has been getting earthquake retrofitting on his house for the past year.

I love me a good earthquake. It's exciting.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    My house is on a hill. The backyard is about 20 or 30 feet lower than the front door entrance. When a jolt hit last night it was real quick but it felt like a 8.0 the way my house shook. I'm in a 100 year old Victorian. My next door neighbor has been getting earthquake retrofitting on his house for the past year.

You are fucking nuts. No doubt about it. Something really wrong with you. If they stay under 4.0, it's all good. After that, the "shake" factor really increases exponentially. My gear is together, how about you?

• My house is on a hill. The backyard is about 20 or 30 feet lower than the front door entrance. When a jolt hit last night it was real quick but it felt like a 8.0 the way my house shook. I'm in a 100 year old Victorian. My next door neighbor has been getting earthquake retrofitting on his house for the past year.

You are fucking nuts. No doubt about it. Something really wrong with you. If they stay under 4.0, it's all good. After that, the "shake" factor really increases exponentially. My gear is together, how about you?

I'm not worried. I wouldn't be surprised if my house fucking fell over but there isn't much I can do about that.

• Three feelable, yet small, earthquakes in the last few days... I don't know shit about earthquake theory but are big earthquakes often presaged by these smaller tremors?

• well, let's just hope that these little ones are helping things settle. Like indigestion. It's gotta let a couple little burps out to makes it's tummy feel settled. Or it could be letting out a few warnings before it lets out it's own rendition of the burp alphabet.

I'm out in the sunset, along Judah. I think I'm in a good spot. Far enough from the ocean that I don't have to worry about tsunami and far enough from the marina that I'm not on sand.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Three feelable, yet small, earthquakes in the last few days... I don't know shit about earthquake theory but are big earthquakes often presaged by these smaller tremors?

I remember reading somewhere that it's actually better to have some small quakes--it's like the seismological equivalent of releasing stress in small bursts instead of one big blow-up (a major quake).

I have to admit, the thought of a major quake gives me the creeps.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Three feelable, yet small, earthquakes in the last few days... I don't know shit about earthquake theory but are big earthquakes often presaged by these smaller tremors?

I remember reading somewhere that it's actually better to have some small quakes--it's like the seismological equivalent of releasing stress in small bursts instead of one big blow-up (a major quake).

I have to admit, the thought of a major quake gives me the creeps.

Small quakes are either stress-relief for the fault they occur on or triggers for a bigger quake. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What might happen with this so called "big one?"

• I was talking to my boy Bijan from Oakland today on the phone and he jumped up and yelled HOLY SHIT and dropped the phone and i Was like what the fuck dude? And he's like man another fuckin earthquake! DAMN!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I don't even want to know.

Earthquakes scare the shit outta me. I've been through my share of them.
    The first was in '86 and was a 6.1 epicentered just 6 miles away. It hit at 2am and I didn't know wtf was going on. The power was out in our apartment for a couple days and there were non stop aftershocks. To be awakened like that is the worst.

The other one I remember was the Landers quake in '92 which was a 7.3. I was home alone and I ran out in the street in my underwear. Your first instinct is to get the fuck OUT asap.

I talked to a geologist about a year ago who works for the USGS and she said we're overdue for "the big one" by a hundred years or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_scale#Richter_magnitudes

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    COACHELLA, Calif. - A small earthquake rattled the desert Saturday, but there were no immediate reports of any injuries or damage, authorities said.

The magnitude-4.1 temblor struck at 7:43 p.m. and was centered eight miles east of Coachella, according to a preliminary report for the U.S. Geological Survey. Two aftershocks also were reported, the agency said.

A dispatcher for the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said there were no calls about damage or injuries.

Coachella is about 20 miles east of Palm Springs

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I don't even want to know.

Earthquakes scare the shit outta me. I've been through my share of them.

Well, the little ones aren't so bad, but when they rise beyond the level of "a couple seconds of very minor trembling," I get that adrenaline rush with the quickness. When I felt that one the other night, I was in full-on couch-flopping lazy mode, but that thing got me off the couch and standing in the doorway faster than I thought possible.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Well according to today's SF Chronicle, my house is about a block away from the Hayward fault!