La Haine

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
THE SHIT!!!One of my favorite movies. Just got the region 2 PAL DVD from the UK. Trying to figure out if I can burn it to region 1 NTSC now. At the very least I can watch it on my computer.

Comments

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Major cosign. One of the best movies of all time...
    In my mind, second only to Breathless.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

You must see this movie. Some of the best Cinematography / use of music EVER. It's an extraordinarily controversial film in France, people either love it or refuse to talk about it in my experience.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    This and Man Bites Dog were my favorite French flicks from the 90's.

You must see this movie. Some of the best Cinematography / use of music EVER. It's an extraordinarily controversial film in France, people either love it or refuse to talk about it in my experience.

dope dope movie. ya'll feelings on the OST tho? that expression direkt piece is nice and the soundbytes (whas it mean?) but not much other play from me...

dope dope movie. ya'll feelings on the OST tho? that expression direkt piece is nice and the soundbytes (whas it mean?) but not much other play from me...

Dope film indeed . . . and I've wanted that soundtrack for a minute.

• I saw it in the theatre. mos def

• Man bites dog was Belgian wasn't it?? though i could be wrong, very good film but parts of it make me not want to watch it again....

La Haine is a stunning film..

recently wathed a french film called "13", low buget modern noir heat.

b

• It was very popular here when it came out. For a reason too.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    For sure one of my favorite movies!

• I'm really surpised to see non-french people lovin' this movie. I don't see what's that good...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I'm really surpised to see non-french people lovin' this movie. I don't see what's that good...

What? It's a timeless movie with dope cinematography, interesting dialogues and valid humor, a good insight on the banlieue situation and overall, it speaks for a generation imho....doesn't matter if it was shot in 93/94/95, it is still valid today. Generation hopelessness that is. To each his own, but i think you should go and check yo'self....and yes, man bites dog is from Belgium...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm really surpised to see non-french people lovin' this movie. I don't see what's that good...

What? It's a timeless movie with dope cinematography, interesting dialogues and valid humor, a good insight on the banlieue situation and overall, it speaks for a generation imho....doesn't matter if it was shot in 93/94/95, it is still valid today. Generation hopelessness that is. To each his own, but i think you should go and check yo'self....and yes, man bites dog is from Belgium...

Yeah, it was pretty successful globally and the themes of suburban alienation and boredom pretty much translate to any country. Also got a great soundtrack.

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    a good insight on the banlieue situation and overall, it speaks for a generation imho....

I really like this film but it should be noted than Kassowitz has been accused of, ahem, carpetbagguery.

If you want to see another modern French film which is music-related and deals, in its own way, with disenfranchised Parisian life, I would recommend 'The Beat That My Heart Skipped'/'De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete' -sick...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

recently wathed a french film called "13", low buget modern noir heat.

b

PALM's told me my review is going to be quoted on the R1 box/release of 13. It was one of my top 10 films for 2006 actually. As for LA Haine, get the HD DVD disc if you can make the playback happen. The picture is stunning. One of the better HD DVD's released so far.

And converting the R2 to R1 is easy, the bigger problem is your R2 is PAL not NTSC. I'd just pick up a universal player before converting and shit. They sell for $30 CDN up here and will remove you from region coding and PAL/NTSC issues forever without hassle.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    a good insight on the banlieue situation and overall, it speaks for a generation imho....

I really like this film but it should be noted than Kassowitz has been accused of, ahem, carpetbagguery.

If you want to see another modern French film which is music-related and deals, in its own way, with disenfranchised Parisian life, I would recommend 'The Beat That My Heart Skipped'/'De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete' -sick...

• If you want to see another modern French film which is music-related and deals, in its own way, with disenfranchised Parisian life, I would recommend 'The Beat That My Heart Skipped'/'De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete' -sick...

Saw this at last years French Film Fest here in Richmond. It was really good.

La Haine is really powerfull as well. It has been a while since I saw it. I feel like I need to check it out again. I actually watched it for an Urban Studies class in school. I think I even wrote my final paper for it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Saw this at last years French Film Fest here in Richmond. It was really good.

La Haine is really powerfull as well. It has been a while since I saw it. I feel like I need to check it out again. I actually watched it for an Urban Studies class in school. I think I even wrote my final paper for it.
    i revisited it and its still amazing

i found a cd strk in a church basement recently too

• I'm really surpised to see non-french people lovin' this movie. I don't see what's that good...

It works on very many levels. I'm a major film geek and I love it simply for it's visual elements. The director did some stunning stuff. That alone is reason enough for me to enjoy it.

My only beef with is with the subtitling. For cultural reasons they substituted some American references in for French ones. Like the Donald Duck reference.

• recently wathed a french film called "13", low buget modern noir heat.

b

PALM's told me my review is going to be quoted on the R1 box/release of 13. It was one of my top 10 films for 2006 actually. As for LA Haine, get the HD DVD disc if you can make the playback happen. The picture is stunning. One of the better HD DVD's released so far.

And converting the R2 to R1 is easy, the bigger problem is your R2 is PAL not NTSC. I'd just pick up a universal player before converting and shit. They sell for $30 CDN up here and will remove you from region coding and PAL/NTSC issues forever without hassle.

I actually own a regionfree player but lost the remote so I can't access the other menus. I'm trying to buy one on Ebay now.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

NOT ALL NON-FRENCH ARE AMERICAN.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    carpetbaguettery

• one of the grittiest i love that flick

• i have a crappy copy that i made off IFC once but would love to find the dvd of this joint.

so far so good.... so far so good....

• This and Man Bites Dog were my favorite French flicks from the 90's.

that one was Belgian, no?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I don't think 'De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete' is really anything like La Haine. Its a remake of an American film for starters. Although it is very good. But if you go into it thinking you're going to get anything like La Haine you'll be bitterly diasppointed.

Is 13, the same as 'District 13 / Banlieue 13' the Luc Besson film? If so that was a pretty disappointing movie, though Dany Verissimo is amazingly fine.

There was a thread about La Haine on this board before, and one of the french dudes recomended another film.. can anyone remember what it was? bapt?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I saw it in the theatre.

me too - for the first time just this past fall at the Toronto Film Festival. it held up in every way imo. glad i waited and got to see it projected.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I would recommend 'The Beat That My Heart Skipped'/'De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete' -sick...
    how does this movie stack up to "fingers"? enjoyed that movie, pretty much the only toback flick i like.

• Is 13, the same as 'District 13 / Banlieue 13' the Luc Besson film? If so that was a pretty disappointing movie, though Dany Verissimo is amazingly fine.

that's a different kettle of fish 13s full name is "13 Tzameti" & i thought it was fucking great... I havent seen that banlieue thing, is it all that jumping around that the kids do nowadays?

and for the record.... "carpetbaguettery" is the funniest thing ive read all week

• There was a thread about La Haine on this board before, and one of the french dudes recomended another film.. can anyone remember what it was? bapt?

A lot of cats over there weren't really feeling La Haine. They thought it was kinda fake. Supposedly, this is really more accurate, though less beautiful as far as cinematics go:

• Man bites dog is Belgian indeed (it was released here as 'C'est arriv?? pr??s d'chez vous'), and it's an amazing film, I should see it again actually.

La Haine... I can't recall how many times exactly me and my friends saw the scene with dj Cut Killer juggling Nique La Police, or the scene with the breakdancers... Classic stuff!