Remember Me?

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

I guess AUSTIN is the definite authority on Texas hip hop then?

No, but Austin is where the beats for Still Tippin, Sittin Sideways, and Back Then all came from.

So what? You got ONE hot producer!!!

And I'm familiar with all sides of Austin, but seriously, you think that Austin is more clued on Houston shit than Houston?!!

You are the fool then!!!

Rapid Ric is pretty clued in, I would say.

Wow, you've got a dope dj and a dope producer. Austin is houston2k5.

Point blank...Without Salih Williams, Houston rap would be in the same place it was 2.5 years ago.

Point blank.5...Rapid Ric is the best non-Screw mix dj Houstin (*that was a typo...but I like that...Houstin.*) has ever seen.

So it's not like Austin hasn't had a major effect on this recent Houston (shoot, some of us must be fools to think of it as a Texas) blow up.

Also in Austin we can see separate shows by Chingo Bling, Z-Ro, and Swishahouse all within the same week. And that sort of thing happens on the regular.

I'd love to check some sales figures from Music Mania alone as an indication of the buying power up here.

Anyway, anyone dismissing Austin at this point in time is nothing but a hateur.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I guess AUSTIN is the definite authority on Texas hip hop then?

No, but Austin is where the beats for Still Tippin, Sittin Sideways, and Back Then all came from.

So what? You got ONE hot producer!!!

And I'm familiar with all sides of Austin, but seriously, you think that Austin is more clued on Houston shit than Houston?!!

You are the fool then!!!

Rapid Ric is pretty clued in, I would say.

Okay, so your tally is now: 1 hot producer + 1 clued in DJ?

As an impartial observer, I gotta say that I am now convinced that Austin is the authority on Houston!

Sure, it's not THE authority but it's not to be dismissed either.

Again, the scene is much bigger than just Houston. UGK is originally from Port Arthur so we'd have to consider what goes down there. ESG is originally from Shreveport, correct? Shit, even going back in time, which speaks to a point I made responding to the MTV piece about the deeply entrenched connections between NOLA and Houston, Big Mike is originally from New Orleans as is N.O Joe. Recently saw JD talking about Ron C's Trendsetter being a natural transition between a normally pitched and screwed set...so don't forget Dallas either.

Well, those are all points worth considering. They don't really substantiate the original claim that "n Texas Z-Ro is much more popular/important than Paul Wall," though.

Yet Houston folks now want to act like the hot shit is only coming from within their own territory. So even from within, depending on who you talk too, you're gonna catch favoritism and stereotypes. Thus why this stuff needs to be weeded out...and not by an NYC resident.
    Just out of curiousity, who is the weed eater that you're referring to? Nick? What would you have him do? Reject all future assignments from [i]The Fader
    relating to Texas rap because he doesn't himself live in Texas?

Matt is definitely doing a great job, but he's got his biases and tunnel vision just like anyone else.

And please don't think that I'm saying that I'm the end-all-be-all. I'm just one of many voices that needs to be reckoned with.

Seriously, what is wrong with you, man?

"I'm just one of the many voices that needs to be reckoned with"?!

What kind of Lord of the Rings sh!t is that?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Point blank...Without Salih Williams, Houston rap would be in the same place it was 2.5 years ago.

Point blank.5...Rapid Ric is the best non-Screw mix dj Houstin (*that was a typo...but I like that...Houstin.*) has ever seen.

dog. no one is hating. but you overstate shit all the time to try and support your flimsy opinions.

can you even name 5 non screw dj's in/from houston? ric is dope... but i'm sure he's wiser than to say that he's the best that houston's has ever seen. (i had to read that like 5 times to make sure you really typed that)

so with 4 beats houston would still be in the same place.. blah blah blah.

you really are delusional. and i mean that in the nicest way.

can you even name 5 non screw dj's in/from houston? ric is dope... but i'm sure he's wiser than to say that he's the best that houston's has ever seen. (i had to read that like 5 times to make sure you really typed that)

No, no... he's the best non-screw DJ that Houstin's ever seen, Houstin being an imaginary space within 'Chid's private mind garden that is quite separate from Houston.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    [ The point I have made is that in LA, on their hometurf, PB is as hood-based as it gets. Outside of LA is where the Birkenstocks come into play.

this is true. i heard guzzo was "on the scene". ask courtney and bob or whatever from meanstreet records.

just kidding. hey, but in a related note, i think serg once mentioned my good name in the same sentence as "karaoke" on his blog and i'd like to ePat myself on the back for that one. my paypal account is now open for business. *hint hint wink wink*

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    plaese to fuckin' name 5 essential houston related cd's NOT Geto Boys or Devin

i need the knowledge....

plaese to name 5 essential houston related cd's NOT Geto Boys or Devin

i need the knowledge....

i'm sorry...TEXAS RELATED

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

what is wrong with you, man?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    plaese to fuckin' name 5 essential houston related cd's NOT Geto Boys or Devin

i need the knowledge....

It's gonna vary depending on who you talk to. My list and Archaic's are prolly gonna be totally different.

Random Houston classics..

This would be a good intro:

UGK - Ridin Dirty
    Fat Pat - Greatest Hits
    Paul Wall & Chamillionaire - Get Your Mind Correct
    DJ Rapid Ric - Z-Ro's Greatest Verses
    DJ Rapid Ric - Whut It Dew 2

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

...and an enranged archaic waves his clenched fist to the heavens as a thousand outsiders open up soulseek and begin to cut and paste

UGK - Ridin Dirty

this is my shit!!!!

Paul Wall & Chamillionaire - Get Your Mind Correct

for some reason i can't really get into this......i mean...it aint wack..it's good...it's just not to me...but hey...what do i know?

...and an enranged archaic waves his clenched fist to the heavens as a thousand outsiders open up soulseek and begin to cut and paste

That's the specific reason why I posted it up.

Listening to mp3's and engaging in a localised culture are far from the same thing.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    thx cashless!!!

Listening to mp3's and engaging in a localised culture are far from the same thing.

YOU'RE SO DOWN AND COOL ARCHAIC, WHAT BLOWED, Z-RO, AND RAPID RIC CDS SHOULD I BUY THIS WEEK?

THANKS!

You're still going to PB & J shows... What localized culture are you referring to?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

HOW DID I KNOW THIS SHIT WOULD BE IGNORED.

oh yeah.. it's archaic.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

YOU'RE SO DOWN AND COOL ARCHAIC, WHAT BLOWED, Z-RO, AND RAPID RIC CDS SHOULD I BUY THIS WEEK?

THANKS!

I think MYlatency is only half joking

oh yeah.. it's archaic.

Archaic

Cheerleader

Reged: 04/06/04

Loc: Austin, Texas.

WHOA!

THANKS!

I think MYlatency is only half joking

Damn straight, I'm not joking at all actually. I don't live in LA or Austin so I need someone who REALLY KNOWS the deal to tell me what time it is.

Thanks doods!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

"3-2 of the Convicts was in a group called Private Identity before the Convicts came out.

Produced once again by Blaster and Crazy C

i was going to be the dj

the group never came out tho........

but that shit was FIYYAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! "

"3-2 of the Convicts was in a group called Private Identity before the Convicts came out.

Produced once again by Blaster and Crazy C

i was going to be the dj

the group never came out tho........

but that shit was FIYYAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! "

Ummm... How can I put this? Dude's stories aren't always the most "accurate" or honest.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Ummm... How can I put this? Dude's stories aren't always the most "accurate" or honest.

i wouldn't know, seeing how i've only recently engaged in the localised(sp) culture of that houston hip hop message board.

HOW DID I KNOW THIS SHIT WOULD BE IGNORED.

oh yeah.. it's archaic.

Here's his answer!!!

Archaic wrote: Right, I lived in Houston during high school (86-89) going to clubs while many of y'all were still being mom-driven to tap practice...and during college and beyond when I came to Houston to visit my parents, I was probably standing right next to you in clubs...yet I can't name any dj's.[/b]

So why the fuck is dude opening his big ass mouth?

Here's his answer!!!

Archaic wrote:
    Right, I lived in Houston during high school (86-89) going to clubs while many of y'all were still being mom-driven to tap practice...and during college and beyond when I came to Houston to visit my parents, I was probably standing right next to you in clubs...yet I can't name any dj's.[/b]

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

because...

i wouldn't know, seeing how i've only recently engaged in the localised(sp) culture of that houston hip hop message board.

Dude is a serial liar.

"Reading" and "posting" are not "engaging"!