Busking

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Today I saw an opera singer busking. And it got me thinking what were some of the stranger buskers I've seen. Violinist and marching band for me. you?

Comments

• Blind man playing "Strawberry Fields Forever" on a keyboard strapped vertically to his front, an amp strapped to his back and holding a cane. His blind female partner followed from behind with her hand on his shoulder while holding a can full of coins that she shook to the time of the music. They were marching up and down a fairly packed metro train in Mexico City.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Back about 15 years ago there used to be 2 metalhead dudes, somewhere between 17-20 years old, who used to play play on the Union Square L train platform in NYC. They would do bass/guitar versions of Slayer/Metallica/Anthrax and that type of stuff on little battery powered Marshalls, complete with headbanging.

• Late night in Times Square / Grand Central - That little old hunchback dude, playing an organ surrounded by spinning dolls. Always smiling and playing some really creepy sounding circus music.

• some of you NY heads might have crossed paths with this dude maybe like 5 years back, i saw him two o three times. crazy looney sax player...jumps on the train in the heat of rush hour, and starts blowing his horn on some crazy ornette coleman free jazz type of high pitched mess...and let's not get it twisted - it wasn't musical it was noise. you could start to see everyone beginning to cringe, like gawd what's with this racket?! he stops and yells out, "ya'll are gonna have to pay me to get off of this train!!" and starts blowing again...it's just rampant noise, i think someone gives him a dollar right as the train pulls to the next stops and he jumps off mission accomplished...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• That little old hunchback dude, playing an organ surrounded by spinning dolls. Always smiling and playing some really creepy sounding circus music.

funny guy, there was article about him in village voice, like 6 months ago, it seems he's retired music professor from guayaquil, ecuador and he does busking mostly for fun

once one black dude about 30 yo w/ dreadlocks jumped into packed 6 train and did some coltrane paraphrases scatting all the time

• any DC dudes know about blelvis (sp?) AKA Black Elvis? It's not exactly busking but he'd try to get anyone into a conversation than relate that conversation to any elvis song, he claimed to know the entire discography.

• starts blowing his horn on some crazy ornette coleman free jazz type of high pitched mess...

You must not like jazz. That or you have not heard a lot of Coleman's music.

• I saw a dude about 15 years ago in the Covent Garden area of London who hung upside down and sang and played Madonna songs..I think his name was "Ivan Inversion", I have a picture laying around in a box somewhere....

• funny guy, there was article about him in village voice, like 6 months ago, it seems he's retired music professor from guayaquil, ecuador and he does busking mostly for fun

aha!

• This guy used to busk at the 16th & Mission BART station in SF every day years ago. I think there was a documentary made about him ("S.K. Thoth" or "The Amazing Thoth"). He wears bells on his ankles, sings in a language he invented, and dances. And his legs are unbelievably massive.

NYers: is he still in Central Park?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

This guy used to busk at the 16th & Mission BART station in SF every day years ago. I think there was a documentary made about him ("S.K. Thoth" or "The Amazing Thoth"). He wears bells on his ankles, sings in a language he invented, and dances. And his legs are unbelievably massive.

NYers: is he still in Central Park?

that was awesome

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    some of you NY heads might have crossed paths with this dude maybe like 5 years back, i saw him two o three times. crazy looney sax player...jumps on the train in the heat of rush hour, and starts blowing his horn on some crazy ornette coleman free jazz type of high pitched mess...and let's not get it twisted - it wasn't musical it was noise. you could start to see everyone beginning to cringe, like gawd what's with this racket?! he stops and yells out, "ya'll are gonna have to pay me to get off of this train!!" and starts blowing again...it's just rampant noise, i think someone gives him a dollar right as the train pulls to the next stops and he jumps off mission accomplished...

I remember that dude, didn't he used to wear bugged out stuff too, like that antennae headgear and shit like that?

• starts blowing his horn on some crazy ornette coleman free jazz type of high pitched mess...

You must not like jazz. That or you have not heard a lot of Coleman's music.

didn't i SAY, "...and let's not get it twisted..."