VIETNAM???????

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I'm heading out to Vietnam to DJ in a couple of days...anyone got the downlow on the record stores out there or RAERS from Vietnam?peace.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    will you be up north or down south?

http://www.noodlepie.com/blog/bun_tom_cua/index.html

that might take care of any food queries though.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Am DJing in Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon?)...

jyeah! anyone from Vietnam on the boards, or anyone been there? I'm dumbfounded about that place...

Thanks for the link, gunna suss out some food!

peace.

• BobBob 19 Posts
    I spent a couple of years there around 98-2000 and was last there in 2004 but never saw a record store. Food is awesome though, just stay away from the tourist type restaurants and stick to the local/street type stuff but you probably know that already.
    What's the name of the place you're playing?

I spent a couple of years there around 98-2000 and was last there in 2004 but never saw a record store. Food is awesome though, just stay away from the tourist type restaurants and stick to the local/street type stuff but you probably know that already.
    What's the name of the place you're playing?

Word.. I'm looking mainly for markets and thrift store style diggin' in Asian countries (besides Japan) these days... I'm sure I can find the spots out there with some hard work. Any word on any titles to look out for.

Thanks for the tips on the food. I will test my luck, but I ain't fuckin' with no bugs!!!

Not sure what the club is, it's a brand new one opening, I'm flying out to spin the opening set. If you got hommies out there, I can comp them on the list and give them drinks. Hit me up.

peace.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    I was in Vietnam last year, but didn't find any recordsat all. All I saw was CDs CDs CDs...but I've to admit that I travelled in a group and had not the time to look for records Maybe you have more luck. I've only been to the south (Saigon, Mekong-Delta, Mui Neh...) and from there I travelled to Cambodia by boat. Vietnam is mad cool, I hope I'll have the chance to visit it again with more time.

If you're hungry, check out the snake with nuts:

You should also try the snake-wine, a vietnamese speciality (but I warn you, don't drink too much of that stuff!!! ):

Have some fun with an AK...

...or crawl through some tunnels from the vietnam war in Ben Dinh

• I think a may have had a ver of that snake dish one time @ a street fair.....no snake meat of course, chicken maybe?.....Maybe I should have asked what kind of meat that was....here kitty kitty.

All i know is I burped cilantro and for a week.

• BobBob 19 Posts
    There's heaps of little markets everywhere around Saigon, you could hire a motorbike and spend days riding around checking them out. Be very interested to hear if you actually find any records but should be fun anyway.
    I'll email some friends there re getting on the entry list. Probably won't hear from them in time but thanks for the offer.
    Food in saigon is actually pretty safe in my experience and so is the ice. It's the more out of the way towns you need to worry about, especially some of the seafood. They don't eat cat but you can eat dog in the north, especially the catholics for christmas. Check out some bia hoi halls for some fun, cheap beer drinking and just watch all the people go by.

The shit they carry on motorbikes is insane too!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Here's a related video my dad took in Phnom Penh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQvO4hHNl2w

• sheep dog:

what's up with some new-ish mix-cd's? I gotta hear the kid throw down

• per0per0 153 Posts
    I'll be surprised if you find anything Sheep. I was hoping that ex US Servicemen may have left some gear about, but no luck. From talking to a few dj's in clubs etc. they told me there were basically no records in Vietnam. Made or imported. The joys of a war torn communist country.

• those photos of motorcylists with sutff are fucking awesome

• There's heaps of little markets everywhere around Saigon, you could hire a motorbike and spend days riding around checking them out. Be very interested to hear if you actually find any records but should be fun anyway.
    I'll email some friends there re getting on the entry list. Probably won't hear from them in time but thanks for the offer.
    Food in saigon is actually pretty safe in my experience and so is the ice. It's the more out of the way towns you need to worry about, especially some of the seafood. They don't eat cat but you can eat dog in the north, especially the catholics for christmas. Check out some bia hoi halls for some fun, cheap beer drinking and just watch all the people go by.

The shit they carry on motorbikes is insane too!

these photos are awesome. do you have more? i see a coffee-table book in this somewhere.

sheep dog:

what's up with some new-ish mix-cd's? I gotta hear the kid throw down

P**,

Here is a mix I made for Ministry of Sound. Mind you, it's pop / hip-hop music and nothing that really tickles anything in my personal taste for music. The RILL SCHiTT mixes will be coming when I get home in Feb...

http://www.djs.com.tw/modules/news/article.php?storyid=31

peace.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    those photos of motorcylists with sutff are fucking awesome

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Hey sheep, I happen to have a friend there right now who is doing research on food market dynamics for MIT. She's a good fuckin friend and a maniac in party mode. At any rate, she's definitely got some insider information because she knows hella locals. She's in Hanoi though. Hollur on the PM if you want to see what's up.