"Making Beats" book and "Deep Crates" DVD

sindiansindian 68 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I'm researching Xmas presents. Has anybody seen the "Deep Crates" DVD or read "Making Beats: The Art of Sample-Based Hip-Hop" by Joe Schloss? Opinions?

Comments

• I have that book. It's basicly a beginners course it what makes up the beat and a lot of talking from some producers and diggers (Jake One is in there:) )

It's a good book for a real quick read. Not great but it's really the only one of it's kind. It's worth buying.

Same with the dvd. Interesting, but nothing that special.

If you have a few extra bucks I'd get both. If you're not expecting too much they're worth it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Uh, "Making Beats" isn't a "how-to" book on producing.

It's an ethnography of the culture of sample-based production - very accessible for an academic tome but just so we're clear: it is an academic book, taking an anthropological/ethnomusicological look at how producers develop their values and practices around everything from beat digging to looping to making mixtapes, etc.

It is, in my slightly biased opinion (since Joe is a good friend of mine), one of the better academics books on hip-hop you'll ever read: smart, insightful and accessible and just good scholarship in action.

I have that book. It's basicly a beginners course it what makes up the beat and a lot of talking from some producers and diggers (Jake One is in there:) )

It's a good book for a real quick read. Not great but it's really the only one of it's kind. It's worth buying.

Same with the dvd. Interesting, but nothing that special.

If you have a few extra bucks I'd get both. If you're not expecting too much they're worth it.

• yeah, it's closer to what o-dub said.

Sorry, I never said how to.. I should have been more clear. By what makes up the beat I meant they talk about why they use the drums they use, the samples, etc.. different ways to flip a beat etc.. And there's a lot of great discussion on digging.

Anyways like I said, it's worth buying.

But listen to O Dub, he can type what I mean better then I can.

• But listen to O Dub, he can type what I mean better then I can.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    deep crates is a waste of a gift. boooooooooring.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    deep crates is a waste of a gift. boooooooooring.

• deep crates is a waste of a gift. boooooooooring.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    theyre both pretty crappy gifts.

• If you need ideas, I bought this for my brother last year.

• deep crates is a waste of a gift. boooooooooring.

THIS FILM IS THE CERTIFIED BOMB...THERE IS ONE SCENE THAT IS ON SOME DUSTY FINGER SLEEZY DRAMA FUNK FLAVOR THAT IS PURE SAMPLING DYNAMITE ON SOME READY MADE HIP HOP FLAVOR.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    making beats is fun to do. But i cant imagine it will ever be fun to read about.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    If you need ideas, I bought this for my brother last year.

That is a nice book, yeah.

I also liked this one a lot:

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    theyre both pretty crappy gifts.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Otherwise, giving someone doubles of that Crystal Mansion album is always appreciated.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Otherwise, giving someone doubles of that Crystal Mansion album is always appreciated.

That is an amazing book, but damnit I want interviews like B+ did in Race, Rap & Resistance. --- IMO best book about hip-hop of a certain era. The world needs more books like it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I want interviews like B+ did in It's Not About a Salary:[/b] Race, Rap & Resistance. --- IMO best book about hip-hop of a certain era. The world needs more books like it.