Portable needle problem - anyone else notice this?

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I got a Newmark and my brother's got a Vestax, and we both used them not a whole lot in the last six months or so that we've owned them, definitely treated them well and whatever. The issue is that I noticed on both players that they actually leave a visible etching on records! What the fuck!? Take any LP in good condition and angle the light on it as you play it, and you may notice that it draws on the vinyl as it plays. This is extremely disturbing. Suggestions? Replace the needle with something higher end? Give up on these things altogether? What say you master record dudes?

Comments

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Ditch those things! Yeah you might have saved $20-$40 but these are the best.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    It might just be digging out the dirt in the tracks..

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    That's the thing, it's easiest to see this happening with a never before played record. Open up some piece of crap and you will see what I mean.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

This seems to be a likely explanation. I bought a Numark portable about a month ago and I keep it at the office to play new records I buy during the week. I haven't noticed your problem at all, since I'm mainly playing new records.

I have, however, noticed that if a record is even slightly dished, it'll sound a bit "woozy" on one side.

To rectify that, I just put a record UNDER that one and it plays fine. (Before anyone freaks out, I put a napkin between the records.)

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    The issue is that I noticed on both players that they actually leave a visible etching on records!

I had the same problem with my Columbia GP3, right out of the box. I complained to Dusty Groove, they sent me a new needle, and it was fine. I think it got knocked in shipping. Worked fine every since for mine collecting porposes.

Asprin convinced me it was the spring, and told me to take it off. And I did (so easy right now). Try getting one of those fucking springs back into the tonearm of a GP3. Thanks dude, thanks...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Asprin convinced me it was the spring, and told me to take it off. And I did (so easy right now). Try getting one of those fucking springs back into the tonearm of a GP3. Thanks dude, thanks...

haha, I remember that. Too damn funny. You had the spring in you hand looking all frustrated and sh!t.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

yep. your shit's dirty. i have the numark. the needle is better than the GPs. my only gripe with the numark is that it eats batteries like a MF. otherwise there's not better portable on the market for the $.

yep. your shit's dirty. i have the numark. the needle is better than the GPs. my only gripe with the numark is that it eats batteries like a MF. otherwise there's not better portable on the market for the $.

As far as I know WHEN YOU CRACK OPEN A SEALED RECORD AND PLAY IT RIGHT AWAY THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY FUCKIN DIRT IN THE GROOVES. So your explanation doesn't help oh wizardz.

Some of you folks can be so "if an item does not appear in our records it does not exist" about shit.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I've had the same thing occur with my GP3 and it is especially noticable with unplayed records.
    It freaked me out when it first happened but besides the visual change there seems to be no change in sonic quality at all.
    I recently got a new needle but until you posted this I forgot about it and haven't checked it since the swap to see if it still happens.
    The only thing that I can think is that the stylus might be wider than normal and is dragging the top edges of the groove but that is only a guess.
    It doesn't seem to affect the sound but it is slighty disturbing.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Ditch those things! Yeah you might have saved $20-$40 but these are the best.

I second that motion! I didn't have to change needles until over 2 years... I am thinking about selling my dj honda model, all black with a slip mat... We will see...

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

As far as I know WHEN YOU CRACK OPEN A SEALED RECORD AND PLAY IT RIGHT AWAY THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY FUCKIN DIRT IN THE GROOVES. So your explanation doesn't help oh wizardz.

Some of you folks can be so "if an item does not appear in our records it does not exist" about shit.

sassy.

son, records come from the factory with all kinds of different shit on them (ie., chemicals from processing and even grime). but really, i'm not looking at this record as it plays so i cant really Dx.

there could also be shit on the needle from a previous record.

you're asking and not providing enough information. so best step off your attitude.

sassy.
    son, records come from the factory with all kinds of different shit on them (ie., chemicals from processing and even grime). but really, i'm not looking at this record as it plays so i cant really Dx.

there could also be shit on the needle from a previous record.

you're asking and not providing enough information. so best step off your attitude.

Son me, son you.