RECORD INSURANCE !?

RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Not sure if this has been discussed, but i know some of you have deep collections.How do we go about getting them insured ? Wouldnt we be the best people to determine what pieces are valued at ? Im sure it has to be notarized and alladat.anybody ????

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Take pictures of all your records. Take pictures of your rares and printout evidence of their market value. Ebay auctions, etc. You will have to pay extra for an antiques clause or some shit.

I don't even like to think about it.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Take pictures of all your records. Take pictures of your rares and printout copies of marcofunk Ebay auctions[/b], etc.

Oh go into Gemm and use recism as your price guide.

Yes Mr Insurance agent, my copy of 'the payback' clocks in at around $680, but since this one is mint, it's probably closer to $700.

Tell your insurance agent you have a tons of Beatles and Elvis.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    would this fall under renters insurance? I tried to get a policy with allstate a while ago for records, equipment, home entertainment stuff etc.. and they tricked me and got me to say i was running a "business" and said that i could only insure up to $200 under that policy. Or I would have to take out a much more expensive policy to insure everything. Can i just get renters insurance as a "hobbyist"?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    would this fall under renters insurance? I tried to get a policy with allstate a while ago for records, equipment, home entertainment stuff etc.. and they tricked me and got me to say i was running a "business" and said that i could only insure up to $200 under that policy. Or I would have to take out a much more expensive policy to insure everything. Can i just get renters insurance as a "hobbyist"?

Uhhh there's no reason to call your situation a business. That's fucked on their part, and you should be able to have normal renters insurance cover you. Records & stuff they will usually only reimburse to a certain amount though, so I'd ask.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah this chick got me to admit that i dj once and a while casue of all my records, and she said i was a business owner and that was my "office". I wish it was casue i would write off all my shit. But for real allstate got on some real shady manipulative biz on me.

• yeah this chick got me to admit that i dj once and a while casue of all my records, and she said i was a business owner and that was my "office". I wish it was casue i would write off all my shit. But for real allstate got on some real shady manipulative biz on me.

i was looking into clarion to insure my studio equip, but dude said i couldn't insure my vinyl OR my turns! WTF is up with that?

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    I haven't insured my records but I did once ask, here's what I remember (I could be completely full of it)..... if you're a business (you make enough to justify your record purchases, i.e. you write off your records etc.) you can insure your records as part of your business or if you don't make as much as you spend you can insure your records as a "collection". Tororrow I'll ask my agent and clarify.

• If anyone is serious I am looking into equipping myself to certify collections. I will probably charge an hourly rate based on the workload.

I'll be talking to some insurance people today so... I'll let you guys know.

If anyone is serious I am looking into equipping myself to certify collections. I will probably charge an hourly rate based on the workload.

That's a motherfucking full service record shop right there, son.

I'm interested.

I also have a stack of records for the dewarping machine, but I'm planning to bring them instead of mail. I'm thinking some might be hopeless and I'd hate to waste shipping on them.

yeah this chick got me to admit that i dj once and a while casue of all my records, and she said i was a business owner and that was my "office". I wish it was casue i would write off all my shit. But for real allstate got on some real shady manipulative biz on me.

I have USAA and ran into the same problem when I tried to claim a crate of records that were stolen after a gig. However, it only cost about an extra 35 bucks a year to cover all my DJ related stuff under a business clause or some shit. But I still think that is different from covering my collectro shit.

• If anyone is serious I am looking into equipping myself to certify collections. I will probably charge an hourly rate based on the workload.

I'm interested.