chicago-strut! (RR)

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
i've been here for a few days, i've hit up like 10 record stores and i've found one good record. what gives? the record stores in this town are kinda crappy...( or atleast the ones i've been to.) i've been to: mr.peabody, beverly rare, record emporium, groovin high, daves, deadwax...etc. dusty groove was a big let down! lots of re-issues and records that are in questionable condition.i'm used to TSL, good, academy, A1...stores with good shit in good condition. the only store i've even bought a record in was daves. the stores i've been to are flooded with common terds for silly money that are in crap condition. is there a store i'm missing...where should a record lover go in this town to find some good records. its getting to the point where i'm wasting my time wandering all over this city.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I took all the good records two weeks ago.

groovin high

Worst record store name ever.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    I took all the good records two weeks ago.
    thanks alot! the digging here has been very under-whelming...maybe you did snag all the good shit. but is there somewhere else i should hit up?...c'mon people!

• Yo Z_illa.....Hook dis dude up with a spot to dig.

• 2 words: BORDERLINE

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hyde Park Records is pretty fun.

• dusty groove was a big let down! lots of re-issues and records that are in questionable condition.

ive nothing against finding originals, but the day we start turning our noses up at reissues - QUALITY reissues - is the day we should stop this record collectin' hustle altogether. hey, the record was outta print, and there was a demand for it, so they made it available again! is that against anybody's religion? sheeit

i'm used to TSL, good, academy, A1...

are these out-of-town shops s'posed to mean anything to us?

stores with good shit in good condition.

and probably at Rockefeller prices, unless you think $50 is cheap

the only store i've even bought a record in was daves. the stores i've been to are flooded with common terds for silly money that are in crap condition. is there a store i'm missing...where should a record lover go in this town to find some good records. its getting to the point where i'm wasting my time wandering all over this city.

well, what were you lookin' for, anyway? The Great Breakbeat In The Sky? were you expecting to see dollarbins full of ultra-rare Ramp albums or Elvis 45's on Sun that you could resell on eBay once you got back home?

• chrischris 287 Posts

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    don't wanna be rude with you, but Chichago is the schit...you just either don't know where to go or how to dig. Because there's no way you can be disappointed in Chi man. Hyde Park is a nice suggestion if you didnt hit it. I found some crzaey schit in the bins. That's even where i met PNS from Molemen years ago. But now that i'am thinking about it, you really need to scratch the surface because lots of store are but there's some nice ones, i sware.

• don't wanna be rude with you, but Chichago is the schit...you just either don't know where to go or how to dig. Because there's no way you can be disappointed in Chi man. Hyde Park is a nice suggestion if you didnt hit it. I found some crzaey schit in the bins. That's even where i met PNS from Molemen years ago. But now that i'am thinking about it, you really need to scratch the surface because lots of store are but there's some nice ones, i sware.

I agree. Again, no disrespect, but usually anybody like Spiv who is THAT hard to please probably doesn't know what they want in the first place...

• Found some dope records in a lonely crate in the basement of a gay/tranny costume-shop when I was there, right next to the box full of penis-shaped novelty lighters.

- J

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    dusty groove was a big let down! lots of re-issues and records that are in questionable condition.

ive nothing against finding originals, but the day we start turning our noses up at reissues - QUALITY reissues - is the day we should stop this record collectin' hustle altogether. hey, the record was outta print, and there was a demand for it, so they made it available again! is that against anybody's religion? sheeit
    you have nothing against originals...thats great. i like originals. reissues for you-originals for me.

are you serious? the sound library or our own j-paychecks good records...yikes. do you live under a rock?

and probably at Rockefeller prices, unless you think $50 is cheap.
    50 for a good record ain't no big thing!

the only store i've even bought a record in was daves. the stores i've been to are flooded with common terds for silly money that are in crap condition. is there a store i'm missing...where should a record lover go in this town to find some good records. its getting to the point where i'm wasting my time wandering all over this city.

well, what were you lookin' for, anyway? The Great Breakbeat In The Sky? were you expecting to see dollarbins full of ultra-rare Ramp albums or Elvis 45's on Sun that you could resell on eBay once you got back home?
    coming from someone with their screen name named after a dollar bin budget record label i should disregard all your snide "you're a record snob" bullshit but you know what...i am a record snob so fuggit!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    thanks izm and yuichi...i'll hit up hyde park. sorry if i sound bitter and frustrated...i've been drinking like a fish since i got into town so i'm starting to feel a lil' surly. chicago is a cool city with alot of good places to get wasted and the food is great.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    dusty groove was a big let down! lots of re-issues and records that are in questionable condition.

and probably at Rockefeller prices , unless you think $50 is cheap

well, what were you lookin' for, anyway? were you expecting to see dollarbins full of ultra-rare Ramp albums or Elvis 45's on Sun that you could resell on eBay once you got back home?

as far as the re-issues go it's cool they're availible but b**t* has crazy shit in his crates so i don't think re-issues are gonna cut it for him.he's like alot of dudes on here, he's after og's.and the whole point of his trip is to do some digging, and theirs plenty of reissues at the shops where he lives at.

And as far as the "Rockefeller prices" he told me dusty groove was asking 50 dollars for a vg- copy of roy ayers-he's coming!!!.you could pick up a mint copy for a little under a hundred in n.y which is why he mentioned the specialty shops.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    whats the one in evanston near the davis stop where they always charge an arm and a leg for records?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    What exactly are you looking for?

I would think any record collector, having hit up all of the shops you listed, would be able to find at least a handful of records to fill in the blanks in your collection. And that's a generous statement.

• Br*tt - you should try to hit up individual strutters, who have stuff at their houses. MeatyOgre, Sketch, Carfagna.... them dudes will take your money and you'll leave with some heat.

There's not really a "specialty" shop in Chicago from my understanding, you could get lucky but if you're looking for big time shit I can see you being disappointed (not just in Chicago, this is true of many many cities these days).

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

I would think any record collector, having hit up all of the shops you listed, would be able to find at least a handful of records to fill in the blanks in your collection. And that's a generous statement.
    its not that chicago sucks for records...i'm sure if you live here and know all the good spots its amazing, its just not what i expected. as for the stores, daves is a good spot and i'll probably go back before i leave 'cause they have some nice wall joints. dusty groove is ok...dunno if i'll go back. mr peabody was cool and if it wasn't 10000 miles away from where i'm staying i might have gone back. when i got into town i was just hoping to find chicago area records. stuff that might be a little easier to find here than elsewhere...even if i had to throw down real money. its 2006/2007 and every single record store here is on ebay or online trying to survive the mp3 age...putting the good shit online. i can't hate them for trying to make it...i guess i'm living in the past.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts

its 2006/2007 and every single record store here is on ebay or online trying to survive the mp3 age...putting the good shit online. i can't hate them for trying to make it...i guess i'm living in the past.

I think this is the problem holmes. A theme that is getting more and more common when I hit up shops is the "oh yeah we have that on ebay right now, just get it from our online store" response.

While your in the chi you need anything else? How long is your stay?

• I have been telling people for a few years how bad Chicago is for records.
    THEY NEVER BELIEVE ME.

• I have been telling people for a few years how bad Chicago is for records.
    THEY NEVER BELIEVE ME.

Records are a finite commodity.

Not theoretically finite, like grains of sand on the beach, but
    actually finite, like trees in the forest.

And Chicago is on some Easter Island schitt. Once all the enterprising
    dealer/collectors and collector/dealers start looking around and realize
    there's almost nothing left to ship out of town, they start attacking
    each other, in a last gasp of desperation!

That said, when given the chance, I will always blame the British.

• That said, when given the chance, I will always blame the British...

...and the Japanese, and the French, and ALS (for clearing out homes from Andersonville to Carpentersville for twenty years), and every weekend warrior with access to the Internet.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I once went to Chicago to dig and I ended up in Detroit.

• ...and every weekend warrior with access to the Internet.

Pre-internet though, would you say the British got here first?

First for Blues, then for Northern?

It's pretty easy, really. A large city with a major international
    airport, streets designed on the numbered-grid system and a fat
    yellow pages with tons of record stores, thrifts, jukebox ops,
    salvage, and one-stops listed in black ink.

• Uh, maybe I'm wrong but usually people don't try to let too many people people know about their "spots", so it would seem sort of dumb for someone to come from out of town and expect to find the heat, especially in places that out of towners know about.

You also mentioned all those NY stores, but last time I checked those places were turning in to tourist spots.

Who even shops at record stores anymore anyway?

Embrace it folks. domestic diggin is pretty much done. Your DJ Shadow fantasies will never be lived out. If it was like 1994 then maybe, but come on people it's 2007 it over johnny!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I have been telling people for a few years how bad Chicago is for records.
    THEY NEVER BELIEVE ME.

Records are a finite commodity.

Not theoretically finite, like grains of sand on the beach, but
    actually finite, like trees in the forest.

And Chicago is on some Easter Island schitt. Once all the enterprising
    dealer/collectors and collector/dealers start looking around and realize
    there's almost nothing left to ship out of town, they start attacking
    each other, in a last gasp of desperation!

That said, when given the chance, I will always blame the British.

lol

• Br*tt - you should try to hit up individual strutters, who have stuff at their houses. MeatyOgre, Sketch, Carfagna.... them dudes will take your money and you'll leave with some heat.

you could get lucky but if you're looking for big time shit I can see you being disappointed (not just in Chicago, this is true of many many cities these days).

agreed...why not just hit up those guys...I can personally say that they all have flame which will make you lose you shit...I know Meaty has been killin it lately......

and I have nothing but love for Chicago...seriously...great place...fun to dig at...and always something there...although I usually have to dust it off some...they liked to play their records (speaking of Detroit!)...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I once went to Chicago to dig and I ended up in Detroit.

Sums it up nice. If you want to, or are forced to take it easy on obsessive record hunting, move to Chicago. The food is great.

Anyhow, spiv. A wise decision would've been to give us folks a holler before coming in. We have things to sell, money to make, and maybe a tip or two.

• coming from someone with their screen name named after a dollar bin budget record label i should disregard all your snide "you're a record snob" bullshit but you know what...i am a record snob so fuggit!

hey, you're the one who couldnt find shit, you the one thats mad!

seriously though, hope you find what yer lookin for before you skip town. its just that ive usually heard those same complaints about record stores coming from novice diggers who expect to see ultrarare funk gems in the 99-cent bins the first time out and cant pinpoint what theyre lookin for, so my fault.

and as far as my screen name...dont knock soul mann & the brothers till youve tried em!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    domestic diggin is pretty much done.

Exactly. There are absolutely no records left in the continental United States. None. Just look at the proof: Traveling to a major metropolitan city in search of rare funk nuggets proves fruitless. If this not a sign of the diggin' apocalypse, then I don't know what is.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    ^^ Classic borderline ludicrous but hilarious SS argument!

I'll be in Chi-town in early November for a meeting in Chinatown. Which hood is a) niiiice and b) walking or biking distance from Chinatown? (Is Chinatown nice? I can't remember.) Gonna AirBnB it, I think.

If anyone has records they're selling, PM me. Always looking for strange things to check.

Best place for a nice meal with your fav colleagues? Close-ish to Chinatown, pls.

Thanks!

edit: there's a bears game on the 1st of november (vs vikings). any idea how much could i could get tix for from scalpers outside the venue on game day? is a bill realistic?