Monk + Coltrane + Carneige Hall 1957

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I know this has been out for a little over a year but I was late in peeping.Such a great album and it's mind-boggling that it sat in a box for nearly 50 years before someone found it and released it. Talk about "lost tapes".

Comments

• Just think, as much as the 50s and 60s cats played, there was someone probably hitting the "record" button a bunch of times...even if it happened only once every 50 times, that means there is probably a shitload of these type of things sitting in some closets.

Thats why I love Jazz, there will ALWAYS be something new to hear from the masters... for damn near forever I bet....

• I got this last christmas and I still listen to it fairly often. The styles of Monk and Trane really bounce well off of each other. Monks song writing style is in good hands with Trane too. He seems to get what Monk is trying to do.

Unlike this one where they don't seem to be playing together in the same way.

• I know this has been out for a little over a year but I was late in peeping.

Such a great album and it's mind-boggling that it sat in a box for nearly 50 years before someone found it and released it. Talk about "lost tapes".

I love this record. I almost listened to it this morning, but hit the wrong button on my ipod, was too packed on the L-train to switch it when I realized it, so listened to a Monk's greatest hits LP instead. It wasn't as good as the Carnegie Hall session.

Monk's brilliant, sparse, almost drunken, off-kilter playing with Coltrane's fast-sax gymnastics is so amazing to hear. It's one of the greatest jazz records I've ever listened to. Love.

• Any additional newly unearthed vintage jazz recordings that come recommended? In '05 there was the Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall concert, the Coltrane - One Up, One Down @ the Half Note, & the Dizzy/Bird @ Town Hall - all newly "discovered" older stuff. Wondering if by chance anyone knows of any '06 equivalents from the vaults? Thanks.

• i know that there are some other coltrane bootlegs from 65 and 66- it's possible that one of those could be released at some point- as the one up one down recording- was a part of a series of later coltrane period bootlegs..

• Any additional newly unearthed vintage jazz recordings that come recommended? In '05 there was the Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall concert, the Coltrane - One Up, One Down @ the Half Note, & the Dizzy/Bird @ Town Hall - all newly "discovered" older stuff. Wondering if by chance anyone knows of any '06 equivalents from the vaults? Thanks.

been out a while now, but the Eric Dolphy "The Illinois Concert" is mighty fine