People in the south...book Harvey Scales!!!!!!

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
dude absolutely KILLED shit at our Christmas party...I was apprehensive, to be honest because the last time I saw him, the backing band...The Checkmates had the GROSSEST bass player(Seinfled slap shit, mid range for days...headless bass, yuck) but now they have this mod kid(looks like he is 18 years old) with a Rickenbaker and a low and mean tone...made all the difference. He played what the folks wanted to hear.."The Yolk", "Broadway Freeze", "Love Itis"...plus the dude's stage game is unfuckwitable, funny as a muhfugger, got the crowd crazed...at one point he dragged about 20 girls out of the audience up on stage and had them dancin and grindin..AMAZING show. Dude wants to play, but aint getting the bookings..holler at me if you want to book him and I will get you the info....fuckin' HARVEY!!!!

Comments

• Hook Up...you were on the scene at the Gibson Guitar Center when Scales played there (as part of the Ponderosa Stomp) back in May, right? I was right down front, and I can testify that Mr. Scales shouldn't just limit himself to the South, he oughta book a tour so we can all see him do the Yolk!!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Here's an idea I've kicked around for years: a instructional video set or step guide to all the 50s/60s R&B fad dances. I mean, I'd like to do the Yolk in my own free time. And who in the hell knows how to do The Get It?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I would be so completely 100% down to see Mr. Scales, but
    I have to say I was pretty bummed out when Shing-a-Ling
    reported that he doesn't do his hits when performing?

No "Get Down" No "Yoke" No "I Wanna Do It" not even "Love-I-Tis" ???

• I would be so completely 100% down to see Mr. Scales, but

He did at least three of the four songs you mentioned when I saw him in Memphis earlier this year. (He may have done "I Wanna Do It," but seeing as how I've never heard that song before, I don't really remember...)

NOTHING TO DO WITH NOTHING, BUT...in relation to Luck's subject header, I wouldn't mind seeing Joe South myself! Ole boy's got "Ponderosa Stomp" written all over him...[/b]

• Here's an idea I've kicked around for years: a instructional video set or step guide to all the 50s/60s R&B fad dances. I mean, I'd like to do the Yolk in my own free time. And who in the hell knows how to do The Get It?

Bo Dud and Johnny Twist are still around in Chicago; we gotta ask both men if that dance ever existed.

And I'm still wondering what the boogaloo looks like - I'm thinking it was that wild side-to-side dance that Davy Jones used to do on The Monkees.

• Hook - you've been PM'ed

I would be so completely 100% down to see Mr. Scales, but

He did at least three of the four songs you mentioned when I saw him in Memphis earlier this year. (He may have done "I Wanna Do It," but seeing as how I've never heard that song before, I don't really remember...)

Well, that's good news! Just to show I wasn't
    talking out of my hat, I based my post on THIS :

HARVEY SCALES is a must see!!! The band last night was a team of true Memphis heavyweights. What did they play? All Stax and HI related tunes!!! No Yolk, no Get Down...nothing. Lots of Otis tunes.

• I didnt go to the Stax show...my membership had expired, and I didnt want to pay the $20 cover...but I assume since he is a huge Otis fan and since he was playing at Stax, he turned it into an Otis tribute, ya cant blame a dude for that...but at our Christmas party he opened with "The Yolk"! Like I said above, he played "Broadway Freeze", "Love-I-Tis"... Also, when I had him autograph my "Funky Football" 45, he asked me to make a copy for the band so they could learn it...so "Funky Football" is going to be put in the set also...He knows what folks want to hear...

also, I only said "people in south" because he is living in Atlanta, and the band lives in Mississippi, they really arent in the posisition, yet, to tour or play further than a days drive.

(He may have done "I Wanna Do It," but seeing as how I've never heard that song before, I don't really remember...)

PS - here's an MP3 of "I Wanna Do It" which is a Stax 45 from 1972:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ohj8p

• he did it at the Christmas party

• did that kid from the small faces get harvey to pull out "the yolk"?

WHAT THE SHIT?

• I would be so completely 100% down to see Mr. Scales, but

i feel where you're coming from, but you gotta understand ONE THING, harvey has written about 7.9 million tunes since then. most of his fans aren't exactly dying to hear "sun won't come out". i once saw harvey play after the esquires in mke, his set consisted of 1 tune, a 45 minute version of "step in the name of love" - fucking blew up the spot!!!