Dollar Brand WANTED

hyderNZhyderNZ 57 Posts
edited December 2006 in Vinyl Wants / Trades
does anyone have any good dollar brand lp's for trade?im thinking:underground in africatears and laughteralso horace tapscott's live double lp.thanks

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

also horace tapscott's live double lp.

which one the Live at IUCC one he did on Nimbus?

• yeah. with desert fairy.
    is the rest of the album good?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yeah. with desert fairy.
    is the rest of the album good?

I get asked that a lot and honeslty I'm just not into it, but I'm not really into any of the Tapscotts outside of his Flying dutchman release.

here in LA I beleive you can still find that album sealed in many stores. I'll look around this week to see if I can find one. I think they also sell it o nthe Nimbus website

http://www.nimbuswest.com/files/html/LPs.htm

• thanks. i'm really after the dollar brand lp the most.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    the only spare copy of any dollar brand i have right now is his African Piano LP on Japo.
    which i quite like, but it is a solo piano record but i believe '71 or '72 if remember correct.
    amazing artist. i remember diving in to as much as i could find before spending a summer in Cape Town 6 years ago (note that it was winter there!).

peace.

• yeah. his music hasn't really struck me until now. i think appreciating mary lou williams has helped that.

very subtle music with all the right ingredients...

do you have a copy of 'underground in africa'?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    yeah. his music hasn't really struck me until now. i think appreciating mary lou williams has helped that.

very subtle music with all the right ingredients...

do you have a copy of 'underground in africa'?

no offense, but other than the fact that they both play piano, not sure what the link is between mary lou and abdullah ibrahim ?????? i don't think their music is similar in the slightest.

no, i don't have a copy of underground in africa... that one is hard to find.
    the only spare dollar brand lp that i have avail. is the one that I listed above.

• ok. no offence taken.
    maybe im comparing the MLW and DB to the tracks ive heard so far.
    i just get the same feeling from their music: rhythmic, contemporary, and slightly spare.

there's probably no connection but listening to 'kalahari' made me feel it.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    One of my favorite artists. Underground In Africa is amazing. It's weird that his best output was never released outside S-A.