45 Question Chi-town people....

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Recently, Eli Reed (local boston artist/dj) guested on my radio show, you can check the link to the show in the announcements section.Anyway, he played a record by Arlene Brown "I'm A Streaker", on DudSound. This pressing had an all-green label. The drums on it were mixed SUPER low, to where you could hardly hear them. They get a BIT louder about 3/4 the way thru the track, but still mixed low in comparison to the rest of the track. I really like the song, and am gonna track down a copy (seems to go for about 25$ Moerer-dollars, you do the conversion yourself), but I wanna know the story.Are there copies with the drums in full force, and some without? Any hints on pressing with louder drums? I saw a pic online of a yellow-backed copy.... Eli claimed he had a CD-copy of the song with loud drums. thanks in advance for any info!-pj

Comments

• i don't know about pressing differences...but that's like a $1 record. I see it all the time.

• I had a couple yellow label copies years ago (they got sold), and I don't recall the drums being low but I can't be 100% sure. In any event, yeah it should be very easy/cheap to find, $5-10 at most I'd say.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I had a couple yellow label copies years ago (they got sold), and I don't recall the drums being low but I can't be 100% sure. In any event, yeah it should be very easy/cheap to find, $5-10 at most I'd say.

yeah thats what i figured on the price, wasn't too worried about that. more interested in the pressing/mixdown differences.

guess I'll just get whats available. Sometimes its nice to the story though.

-pj

• i think i've got a green label copy somewhere, i will listen to it tonight. never seen it with a yellow label.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    i think i've got a green label copy somewhere, i will listen to it tonight. never seen it with a yellow label.

here is the label of the yellow version (from classic45s.com)

• chrischris 287 Posts
    i've never really paid any attention to pressing differences on that 45 either, but i can say that the version of "i'm a streaker" on her lp has the drums seated pretty high in the mix. click here and scan to 2:15 to listen.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

My yellow label appears to have this quiet drum mix too. What you should do is track down the Arlene Brown "Impeach me Baby" 45. Its the exact same melody and song structure, only with big funky drums, wayyyy better subject matter and lyrics, and a male sung verse at the end.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What you should do is track down the Arlene Brown "Impeach me Baby" 45. Its the exact same melody and song structure, only with big funky drums, wayyyy better subject matter and lyrics, and a male sung verse at the end.

Also, PJ, did you ask Eli about dupes?
    He played that track on my show, too, and he
    said he had a few extra copies of it, so he should
    have one for you.

Just trade him a bad gospel 45 for it

• Recently, Eli Reed (local boston artist/dj) guested on my radio show, you can check the link to the show in the announcements section.

Anyway, he played a record by Arlene Brown "I'm A Streaker", on DudSound. This pressing had an all-green label. The drums on it were mixed SUPER low, to where you could hardly hear them. They get a BIT louder about 3/4 the way thru the track, but still mixed low in comparison to the rest of the track. I really like the song, and am gonna track down a copy (seems to go for about 25$ Moerer-dollars, you do the conversion yourself), but I wanna know the story.

Are there copies with the drums in full force, and some without? Any hints on pressing with louder drums? I saw a pic online of a yellow-backed copy.... Eli claimed he had a CD-copy of the song with loud drums.

The version that appears on Mack Simmons' The PM/Simmons Collection CD on Electro-Fi definitely has drums all the way through, just like Arelean Brown's album. (I should mention here that Brown's single appears on Simmons' CD because Simmons is playing harmonica on it.)

Also, the "Streaker" B-side is notable for having the most out-of-tune horns in the history of history...

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

My yellow label appears to have this quiet drum mix too. What you should do is track down the Arlene Brown "Impeach me Baby" 45. Its the exact same melody and song structure, only with big funky drums, wayyyy better subject matter and lyrics, and a male sung verse at the end.

yeah I got that one.....just trying to broaden my personal Arlene Brown collection. haha. Thanks for all the hints everyone.

Also, PJ, did you ask Eli about dupes?
    He played that track on my show, too, and he
    said he had a few extra copies of it, so he should
    have one for you.

Just trade him a bad gospel 45 for it

speaking of which, when are you gonna come guest on my show, man? Shoot me a PM, lets set it up!

-pj