Record Store and Dealer Roll Call

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Name of shop/store/web site:Location:Web site:Years in business:Partners or solo:Other sources of income?: Job(s) before opening store:Store specialties:Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line):E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily):Number of records you take home from the shop weekly:Highest price for a sold record:Worst thing about having your own store:Best thing about havinng your own store:Three other stores you like:

Comments

• Som Records

1843 14th Street NW
    Washington, DC 20009
    202-328-3345

http://somrecordsdc.com/

Six months at current location. Two years at Crooked Beat Records before that.

No partners.

Only other sources of income are DJ gigs and my wife.

Was a journalist before selling records full time.

Store specializes in world music, hip-hop, jazz, soul, funk, rock, strange and spoken word records. Pretty much anything but show tunes although we do have a strong soundtack section.

Sell on-line? Not yet.

E-bay?: occassional raers. few times a year.

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 5-10.

Highest price for a sold record: $990.

Worst thing about having your own store: dealing with the city.

Best thing about havinng your own store: free records. get to hang out in a record store all day.

Three other stores I like:

1) Disco 7 - Sao Paulo
    2) Good Records - NYC
    3) Plan 9 - Richmond

• Name of shop/store/web site: Good Records NYC[/b]

Web site: www.goodrecordsnyc.com[/b]

Years in business: 1.5[/b]

Partners or solo: solo[/b]

Other sources of income?: no[/b]

Job(s) before opening store: commercial insurance & risk management[/b]

Store specialties: top quality, rare & obscure, all genres[/b]

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): somewhere between pieces and inventory[/b]

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): biweekly or so[/b]

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 0-10[/b]

Highest price for a sold record: $1500[/b]

Worst thing about having your own store: overhead[/b]

Best thing about having your own store: branding[/b]

Three other stores you like: Groove Merchant, Gimme Gimme, Beautiful World Syndicate[/b]

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

you got more than that before. remember that 45? that was quite a bit more than $1500.

• Highest price for a sold record: $1500[/b]

you got more than that before. remember that 45? that was quite a bit more than $1500.

You're right - it was more like $2000.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Name of shop/store/web site: my home

Web site: none

Years in business: PT- '98-'03, FT- '03-current

Partners or solo: solo (though ive worked with josh b and matt w before)

Other sources of income?: new job at Kaiser

Job(s) before opening store/selling records: rap editor at Gavin, music guy at MTV.com, sales assistant at KGO-AM, etc..

Store specialties: Pi-R Square 45s, Clarence Mann 45s, etc

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): some pieces

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): maybe once a month

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: i keep maybe 3-5 records a month

Highest price for a sold record: $3500

Worst thing about having your own store: i rent a garage for cheap and sell out of my own garage at home. worst thing about NOT having a store is no off the street customers, no walk-ins with records.

Best thing about having your own store: i dont have a shop but i have very very little overhead working out of the house.

Three other stores you like: groove merchant (sf), good (ny), crossroads
    (portland)

• Name of shop/store/web site: Lifesaver Records

Web site: lifesaver.net (all in Finnish, for the time being)

Years in business: Since 1999

Partners or solo: Partners

Other sources of income?: Deejaying, radio.

Job(s) before opening store/selling records: Deejaying

Sell on-line? New releases mostly, second hand occasionally.

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): Hardly ever.

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: One to five.

Highest price for a sold record: $2200

Worst thing about having your own store: Occasional long hours.

Best thing about having your own store: I get to travel a lot. That and introducing people to stuff they didn't even knew existed.

Three other stores you like: Snickars (Stockholm), Hiyuku (Tokyo), Demon Fuzz (Rotterdam), Street Corner (Detroit), Armand's (Philly).

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Is this going in Who's Who of American Record Stores?

Name of shop/store/web site: BackSpin Records

Web site: backspinrecords.net

Years in business: .75

Partners or solo: partner (1)

Other sources of income?: my wife, selling random household items on ebay or craigslist, occasional dj gigs.

Job(s) before opening store: software company

Store specialties: old school hip-hop / classic dance joints

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): toyed with it, kinda a lot of work to put it all online.

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): we put random records that won't sell in the store in the ebay store and do larger lots once or twice a month.

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 2 or 3

Highest price for a sold record: ask me this tommorow..

Worst thing about having your own store: Records start to become 'product' and I am so busy I often can't always enjoy nor keep up with music, movies, friends, or or anything like I used to.

Best thing about having your own store: No boss, no rules, no strict hours. When people who are cool come in and you get caught up talking with them about music you love. OR when people are looking through the racks and they hit a record and they make an involuntary exclamatory remark like "OH SHIT!" and grab it up and hold it tight to their chest.. that's what it's all about.. knowing there are others like you out there.

Three other stores you like: Friends of Sound, Goodwill, Amoeba

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    crossroads
    (portland)

This spot used to be my favorite in the 90's, tons of great stuff cheap!
    Granted I don't live in PDX anymore, but every time I do make it through
    it gets worse and worse.
    Less vinyl of suspect quality and more and more CD's...
    I'm actually surprised they have made it as long as they have.
    I wish there were more spots like this, collective ventures with various dealers sections.
    Tacoma had one for a little while but it went tits up.

• Name of shop/store/web site: Zero Street

Web site: None for the shop

Years in business: 1 yr so far in Omaha (I had a shop in Lincoln for five yrs)

Partners or solo: Solo

Other sources of income?: None

Job(s) before opening store: Student/graphic design

Store specialties: Used vinyl priced to sell

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): See below

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): A little bit but mainly oop rap cds

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: Depends on what comes in but probably 5-10 from the shop

Highest price for a sold record: $950 (Tapeworm "Break My Face")

Worst thing about having your own store: Only minor things like dead days and the occasional annoying person...but for the most part I really enjoy it.

Best thing about havinng your own store: Self reliance and being a part of my community...days when I go home hoarse from talking with people all day

Three other stores you like: Kanesville (Council Bluffs), Antiquarium (Omaha), Love Garden (Lawrence, KS)...I probably spelled a couple wrong

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Web site: www.djsheep.com

Years in business: hustlin for a good 4 or 5 years now...

Partners or solo: solo

Other sources of income?: dj @ ministry of sound taipei, taiwan

Job(s) before opening store: 75ark records in SF

Store specialties: australian records, japanese records, asian records in general and anything else really...

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): mostly online, but if you're in australia, HOLLA.

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): used to sell a lot in japan under my ID on eBay - tasmanconnection

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: all the records are mine!!

Highest price for a sold record: $511 for the osozeran record to marcofunk... at least a dozen other japanese records for $300-ish... sold a quasar for $250.

Worst thing about having your own store: deciding what to keep and sell

Best thing about havinng your own store: getting to keep the shit i like

Three other stores you like: groove merchant (sf), good records (nyc), licorice pie (melbourne, australia)

peace.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I am still talking with my people about your offer.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Since I'm the semi-official Internet Liaison I guess I should chime in:

B>Name of shop/store/web site:/B> Gee's Records

B>Location:/B> Stratford, CT (outside of Bridgeport)

B>Web site:/B> http://www.myspace.com/geesrecords

B>Years in business:/B> 8 months on the DL

B>Partners or solo:/B> Associate, it's Gee's (Lalo's) shop.

B>Other sources of income:/B> Freelance graphic designer (but who isn't?)

B>Job(s) before opening store:/B> Land surveyor, various construction, Ames toy dept head.

B>Store specialties:/B> Across the board.

B>Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line):/B> Starting in January, weekly.

B>E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily):/B> A HREF=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ200QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsassZgoodfootwax>Hell yes!/A>

B>Number of records you take home from the shop weekly:/B> 10

B>Highest price for a sold record:/B> Dunno for sure, at least a G.

B>Worst thing about having your own store:/B> Too many to mention.

B>Best thing about having your own store:/B> Too many to mention.

B>Three other stores you like:/B> Good Records, Groove Merchant, (the old) Mystery Train Gloucester.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Name of shop/store/web site: Good Records NYC[/b]

Web site: www.goodrecordsnyc.com[/b]

Years in business: 1.5[/b]

Partners or solo: solo[/b]

Other sources of income?: no[/b]

Job(s) before opening store: commercial insurance & risk management[/b]

Store specialties: top quality, rare & obscure, all genres[/b]

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): somewhere between pieces and inventory[/b]

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): biweekly or so[/b]

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 0-10[/b]

Worst thing about having your own store: overhead[/b]

Best thing about having your own store: branding[/b]

Three other stores you like: Groove Merchant, Gimme Gimme, Beautiful World Syndicate[/b]

Yo Jonny,

I'll have to check you out in May 2007 while I'm up in NYC for a conference. The pictures of the store look so I look forward to pickin' up some goodies up in there.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Is this going in Who's Who of American Record Stores?

We should start one here! Kind of a soulstrut-friendly retail establishment reference guide. Raj could charge us a wee bit to be listed.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Name of shop/store/web site: Jump Jump Music

Web site: www.jumpjump.com

Years in business: 16

Partners or solo: Solo

Other sources of income?: Volunteer Coordinator www.getsmartoregon.org, wife

Job(s) before opening store: pet store, Telephone solicitations for phony charities, dairy farm, carpet cleaning, cannery, xmas tree harvesting, shoe repair (10 years), census enumerator....

Store specialties: Soul, jazz, breaks, school bands, moog, sitar, kids, hip hop, blues, gospel, spoken, tropical...

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): whole inventory

E-bay (never, raers on occasion, weekly, daily): No more.

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: They are all mine until someone buys them.

Highest price for a sold record: 4445

Worst thing about having your own store: overhead

Best thing about having your own store: Goofing off

Three other stores you like: Crossroads, United Groove Merchant, Night Owl Record Show, Djangos (defunct) Bird Suite (Defunkt) Rip City (Defunct)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    crossroads
    (portland)

This spot used to be my favorite in the 90's, tons of great stuff cheap!
    Granted I don't live in PDX anymore, but every time I do make it through
    it gets worse and worse.
    Less vinyl of suspect quality and more and more CD's...
    I'm actually surprised they have made it as long as they have.
    I wish there were more spots like this, collective ventures with various dealers sections.
    Tacoma had one for a little while but it went tits up.

In the 90s Rev Shines, Dr Wu and I were the only people in Portland interested in soul, jazz and breaks. Today everyone is. Thus you gotta dig deeper and expand your horizons and be willing to open your wallet to get the good records now.

So you are right, there is no longer tons of great stuff cheap.

Crossroads is pretty solid financially. They own the building. They are trying to reduce the # of cds. The basic idea works as long as vendors continue to find good records. Sales are slightly better than flat, which is pretty good.

Disclaimer, I have a table there and have a 1% stake.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I have a table there and have a 1% stake.

I know I've been looking at Jump Jump's scraps there for years......

• dang, late to the party...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name of shop/store/web site: On The Corner Music

Web site: http://www.myspace.com/onthecornermusic

Years in business: 3 weeks!

Partners or solo: 1 partner (money wise), pretty musch solo

Other sources of income?: DJing, mainly at this place: www.metroparkusa.com

Job(s) before opening store: coffee shops, web-sites, html coding for big-ass corporations...

Store specialties: 75% used vinyl - classic rock to old-school 12's, plus new indie/electronic/classic reissue CDs for the neighborhood and non-vinyl types

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): ebaying the special stuff

E-bay (never, raers on occasion, weekly, daily): going to attempt weekly. we'll see.

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: eh, a couple - i need to make money first.

Highest price for a sold record: nothing big for one (yet!), but did sell a $700 lot to someone on here - perfect timing, thank you again...

Worst thing about having your own store: having to sweat ALL the little stuff, not to mention the big ones (starting costs, store bills, personnal bills, etc...)

Best thing about having your own store: doing my own thing i love

Three other stores you like: Open Mind Records (SF), Groove Merchant (SF), that little joint that used to be in Reseda (not Record Trader, but the hippie owned one...) - i bought Coltrane, Sabbath, Mandrill, Velvet Underground, AND Del's No Need for Alarm there - talk about complete...

• Name of shop/store/web site: friends of sound records

Web site: www.friendsofsound.com

Years in business: still in the first year

Partners or solo: solo, with one employee

Other sources of income?: none

Job(s) before opening store: video editor, radio producer, label owner, web designer, and other things i can't remember anymore

Store specialties: rare jazz, soul, psych, rap, rock, latin, etc.

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): ebay and set sales, though i'm the process of building a site for my $30 and up inventory

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): weekly

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: zero

Highest price for a sold record: $1500 or so

Worst thing about having your own store: pressure to sell

Best thing about havinng your own store: i'm surrounded by records, music, and good dudes all day

Three other stores you like: to buy in for myself... groove merchant, good records(though i've only sold to them), i'm sure there are more but i don't travel as much any more

• hi eric or zach, good to see you on here... don't let ari weasel any last minute starcrost moves....

Is this going in Who's Who of American Record Stores?

Name of shop/store/web site: BackSpin Records

Web site: backspinrecords.net

Years in business: .75

Partners or solo: partner (1)

Other sources of income?: my wife, selling random household items on ebay or craigslist, occasional dj gigs.

Job(s) before opening store: software company

Store specialties: old school hip-hop / classic dance joints

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): toyed with it, kinda a lot of work to put it all online.

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): we put random records that won't sell in the store in the ebay store and do larger lots once or twice a month.

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 2 or 3

Highest price for a sold record: ask me this tommorow..

Worst thing about having your own store: Records start to become 'product' and I am so busy I often can't always enjoy nor keep up with music, movies, friends, or or anything like I used to.

Best thing about having your own store: No boss, no rules, no strict hours. When people who are cool come in and you get caught up talking with them about music you love. OR when people are looking through the racks and they hit a record and they make an involuntary exclamatory remark like "OH SHIT!" and grab it up and hold it tight to their chest.. that's what it's all about.. knowing there are others like you out there.

Three other stores you like: Friends of Sound, Goodwill, Amoeba

• Name of shop/store/web site: Street Corner Music[/b]

Web site:

http://www.streetcornermusic.com
    http://stores.ebay.com/streetcorner2

Years in business: 15, been there over 8 years[/b]

Partners or solo: Two owners, I'm Head Manager[/b]

Other sources of income?: No[/b]

Job(s) before opening store: owned a cofffee shop (Zoot's), bicycle delivery, dog walker, nanny, and a thousand more[/b]

Store specialties: Jazz and Soul[/b]

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): Some pieces, try to keep good stuff in store though[/b]

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): weekly[/b]

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 20[/b]

Highest price for a sold record: $2000[/b]

Worst thing about having your own store: open to the public[/b]

Best thing about havinng your own store: walk-in raers[/b]

Three other stores you like: Peoples Records, ummmmm, Sam's Jams, ummmmmm, [/b]

• bump

private dealers too!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    private dealers too!

stop snitchin'

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Name of shop/store/web site: Blackholerecords

Web site: Rockadelic.com

Years in business:20+

Partners or solo: Solo as of mid-90's

Other sources of income?: Corporate 9-5 Gig

Job(s) before opening store: Radio Show/ARC & Other Local Record Shows
    Always had the Corporate paycheck coming in too.

Store specialties: Weird Records That Suck & Some That Don't

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line):Label Titles Only

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): daily junk/weekly raers
    Sell about 1,200-1,500 LP's a year on "the bay"

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 10-20 a year

Highest price for a sold record: $3,000

Worst thing about having your own store: Can't bitch about the boss

Best thing about havinng your own store: No one can bitch about the boss

Three other stores you like: Friends Of Sound/Austin Record Exchange/St. Louis
    Half Price Books & Records/D/FW

• Name of shop/store/web site: b-side records

Web site:bsiderecordshop.com

Years in business:ending our 3rd.

Partners or solo: i dont own it. i helped open it.... it's a sole proprietership with my friend mike marvel being that dude

Other sources of income?: djing, light weight graphic design, donating blood and adrenaline, herding sheep.

Job(s) before opening store: recruiter for a marketing research company, carpenter, painter, plumber, property management, footlocker. yay.

Store specialties: all things hip hop. rnb, oldschool, compilations...bay area 12's all the hiffy (hyphy) stuff and sherpa acetates.

Sell on-line? (never, some pieces, whole inventory on-line): 90 percent of our inventory is online

E-bay (never, raers on occassion, weekly, daily): only my virginity

Number of records you take home from the shop weekly: 4-10 depending on how generous to our customers im feeling.

Highest price for a sold record: 19.99

Worst thing about having your own store: high school coming in and asking why our "cds" are so big. and there is a halfway house for women with drug dependancies two doors down.... i mean big ups for turning your life around... but i'd appreciate it if you didnt shuffle outside of our window like the undead.

Best thing about having your own store: seeing king moist... he reminds me of the monchichi i had as a child.

Three other stores you like: compound when they were open. daddy's when they were open. and your moms street corner when she was open. no really i never get a chance to go record shopping... stupid voices in my head make me run errands all the time. but amobea LA. amobea berk and amobea sf and sometimes rasputins keeps me up on used isht. mod lang for all my postal service vinyl needs. have you ever watched the movie Wicker Park synced with the Postal Service album? neither have i. but thinking about doing so makes my bangs grow and sweep to the side. ok enough rambling and more henn.