BDP/Criminal Minded pressing question

bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Slightly embarrassing question here, as I feel I should kind of know this and secondly feel I should have had this record many years ago (I???ve had it on tape since day one but never copped the vinyl).I finally bought ???BDP/Criminal Minded??? today. Now I???ve seen some real doggy bootleg/re-presses of this before. I seen some with the cover pic so out of focus I cant believe they even had the nerve to put it out! Anyway I bought a copie today off a guy who say he bought it in Groove Records in London back when it dropped. The record looks to be original and there???s no reason why I shouldn???t trust this guy but the record just feels a little new? The condition is better than most Criminal Minded???s that I have seen over the years, most have been battered which is the reason I haven???t copped them. Now I find a clean one my suspicion is aroused.Is there any way to tell an OG Criminal Minded? To be honest it doesn???t really bother me too much if I own an OG or not but I want to know if I can trust this guy with future purchases

Comments

• if it shows the B-Boy logo and mentions Rock Candy / Jam City One Stop on the back cover its OG I believe...

• Well its got all that, so its looking like an OG in real good condition.

Thanks once again for some usefull info Dave, thats the secnd time you helped me out recently, if you ever in Plymouth I owe you a pint

• Well its got all that, so its looking like an OG in real good condition.

Thanks once again for some usefull info Dave, thats the secnd time you helped me out recently, if you ever in Plymouth I owe you a pint

no problemo - when did I help you out last?

2 favours = 2 pints, see you soon

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

My press has a sound at the end of the record, a sub bass sound...

• You got a Hope Beat?
    We got a Hope Beat!

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    if it shows the B-Boy logo and mentions Rock Candy / Jam City One Stop on the back cover its OG I believe...

I know the OG is supposed to have a typo, don't know which one actually. Mine reads "The Bride Is Over" but then again, I know it's a repress.

• i want to add a story to this post.

in 87/88 i went to peaches records (long gone) in seattle and picked up a copy of criminal minded. i got it home, put it on the turntable and found that it was an all instrumental album! this was way before they were making inst albums and i was actually upset because i wanted to hear the raps!!! like a jackass i took the record back and picked up biz markie's album instead. supreme later told me that for some reason seattle had gotten a batch of instrumental pressings of criminal minded but no one else has heard of this. anyone out there got the lowdown on why this happened or even know about it?

king otto

in 87/88 i went to peaches records (long gone) in seattle and picked up a copy of criminal minded. i got it home, put it on the turntable and found that it was an all instrumental album! this was way before they were making inst albums and i was actually upset because i wanted to hear the raps!!! like a jackass i took the record back and picked up biz markie's album instead. supreme later told me that for some reason seattle had gotten a batch of instrumental pressings of criminal minded but no one else has heard of this. anyone out there got the lowdown on why this happened or even know about it?

king otto

a few people have mentioned this phenomena.... pressing fault - the insts were eventually releases as the "hot club versions"

king otto

I have a copy of that misprinted record... To echo Dave's comments, it ended up coming out as the "Hot Club Version"... One of the weird vinyl releases out there...

There was also a batch of Leaders of the New School "Classic Material" b/w "Spontaneous" promos that had music from another session recorded onto the vinyl (some slow funky west coast ish - I'm too lazy to check out who it was now)... I was actually the guy that discovered it and reported back to Erika at Elektra back when I was the Urban Director at WXJM (James Madison University in VA)... They destroyed the rest of the vinyl and repressed it... Another for the oddity files...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The way I understood it at the time,
    it was SUPPOSED to be instrumental, at
    least the first pressing. I know that
    my boy & I both had the instro LP when it
    first came out, were really into it, and
    then lost our shit when we discovered the vocal
    version.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    i want to add a story to this post.

king otto

I got one of these too. Was pretty suprised to find that the album was entirely instrumental when i played it at home!