INLAND EMPIRE : New David Lynch!!!

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.inlandempirecinema.com/Love him or hate him you can't deny he's unique. This is supposed to be his best work yet. The trailer doesn't reveal much.

Comments

• Promotional genius?

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    There's a flash of a scene from that show 'rabbits' he made in his garage with naomi watts in the trailer..

• http://www.inlandempirecinema.com/

Love him or hate him you can't deny he's unique. This is supposed to be his best work yet. The trailer doesn't reveal much.

man Lynch has done some great stuff but let's all face it: shitty trailer! there's something to be said to subtlety no doubt, but there is just NOTHING in that trailer that makes me want to see the flick.

• whoa...fresh

Love him or hate him you can't deny he's unique. This is supposed to be his best work yet. The trailer doesn't reveal much.

man Lynch has done some great stuff but let's all face it: shitty trailer! there's something to be said to subtlety no doubt, but there is just NOTHING in that trailer that makes me want to see the flick.

????

There were some crazy lines, faces and images. I'm amped.

I want to see people with donkey heads walk around a room.

Seriously.

• I hope this gets proper distribution.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I love the fact that neither Laura Dern nor Justin Theroux know what the movie is about, or who the played. The script was written day to day...

• I'M EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

BUT I'M A LITTLE BUMMED THAT IT'S SHOT ON VIDEO...LYNCH IS A MASTER AND HE CAN MAKE IT WORK- BUT HIS CINEMATOGRAPHY WAS SO BEAUTIFUL?

BUT I'M A LITTLE BUMMED THAT IT'S SHOT ON VIDEO...LYNCH IS A MASTER AND HE CAN MAKE IT WORK- BUT HIS CINEMATOGRAPHY WAS SO BEAUTIFUL?

There's a blurb on IMDB about him switching to video. Apparently all subsequent films he's doing will be shot on video. I'm kind of disappointed as well. I don't understand how all these directors can think it's as good as film. Miami Vice and Collateral both looked like shit. Especially Miami Vice. Once Upon A Time in Mexico I think was the first major release shot on video and it looked horrible. It just doesn't look good when it's projected on a huge cinema screen.

It's something we're just going to have to get used to. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years it's the norm.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    DAMN! missed the dec 2 lincoln center showing.

so fucking

definitely looking fw to this

There's a blurb on IMDB about him switching to video. Apparently all subsequent films he's doing will be shot on video. I'm kind of disappointed as well. I don't understand how all these directors can think it's as good as film. Miami Vice and Collateral both looked like shit. Especially Miami Vice. Once Upon A Time in Mexico I think was the first major release shot on video and it looked horrible. It just doesn't look good when it's projected on a huge cinema screen.

It's something we're just going to have to get used to. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years it's the norm.

I'm willing to give David Lynch a crack at it though...he's shown himself to be pretty sick...and maybe it's too new to have people hit the potential of it...baby steps in an infant stage of it's lifespan...

• Whoa! Look what I found...

http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    http://www.inlandempirecinema.com/

I want to see people with donkey heads walk around a room.

Seriously.

amen brother.

he is my favorite filmaker and I will be first in line to see this but the switch to video does have me worried. the look of the trailer was maaaaaaaaaad

wow. I hope he has a change of heart on that one

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I'M EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

i agreed with you until i saw "superman returns".the movie was shit, but except for 1 or 2 shots i had no idea they shot on hd.really beautiful work.
    as far as "miami vice" i'm suprised that mann actually shot the movie like that. it looked like it was shot on a 3-chip as opposed to the hd system they really used.

• Just got back from seeing Inland Empire.

What a piece of shit movie. Seriously a 3 and a half hour bore fest. There's about 30 minutes of good stuff in it. I have enjoyed if not out-right loved all of his films but this one was Lynch masturbating on films (or video in this case). He recycles themes, ideas, and visual elements from all his other films (mostly Lost Highway) and his usual oddity and vagueness isn't intriguing or interesting but just straight annoying. I was rolling my eyes and wishing it would end as was most of the audience.

Seriously, skip this one and wait for the DVD so you can take a break sometime.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Just got back from seeing Inland Empire.

What a piece of shit movie. Seriously a 3 and a half hour bore fest. There's about 30 minutes of good stuff in it. I have enjoyed if not out-right loved all of his films but this one was Lynch masturbating on films (or video in this case). He recycles themes, ideas, and visual elements from all his other films (mostly Lost Highway) and his usual oddity and vagueness isn't intriguing or interesting but just straight annoying. I was rolling my eyes and wishing it would end as was most of the audience.

Seriously, skip this one and wait for the DVD so you can take a break sometime.

I loved the film, even for some of the reasons you just stated. First of all David Lynch always "masturbates on film" (can we come up with another analogy please?), so you either enjoy his fucked up little world or you don't, there is no compromising in his universe. I don't know how this is any different from his other films in that respect, except maybe this is by far his least compromising and most bizarre film to date. This shit makes Lost Highway and Mulhholand Drive look like a straight forward narrative! Sure the film gets very confusing, but that's sort of the point. These women's worlds are becoming more confused as the film goes on, and the viewer sort of gets to experience it with the character, or at least that's how I took it. The more you let the film marinate, the more it comes together. I guess you can look at it the way you listen to one of your favorite LPs for the first time. The first time you might say, WTF is this guy doing? But you pick the LP up a year later, listen to it again without the same expectations, and you realise this shit is genius. I guess I can't really assume the same will happen for you, but I definitely really enjoyed it.

I also don't mind that he recycles some themes, ideas, visual elements etc. It's all part of Lynch universe, and I actually think it's pretty cool that he references old films, or ideas to give you the sense that this is all part of some bizarro world he has created. Like the ending, the guy sawing wood = Twin Peaks, Laura Dern is wearing the same blue gown from Blue Velvet, we get what's her name from Mullhollan Drive, and that damn monkey, they are all in the same room together, loved it. Who knows, maybe that old Polish woman has bumped into BOB in other worlds that only they can access. Maybe BOB is cousin's with The Phantom?

Anyway I just feel like we need Lynch out there because you can either pay $10 to see Snakes On A Plane, or Inland Empire, and I know exactly what I was in for. I thought the film was pretty and I loved the shit and can't wait to see it again.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    BTW I would be lying if I said there weren't parts I got annoyed during, or just didn't have a clue anymore what was going on. But it was after the film was over, that I started enjoying the parts I didn't like the first time around. It took about 2 days of analyzing that shit over and over in my mind that I finally got a decent grip on what I saw. I can't wait to see it again, I just know it gets better with each viewing.

• It took about 2 days of analyzing that shit over and over in my mind that I finally got a decent grip on what I saw. I can't wait to see it again, I just know it gets better with each viewing.

Same here, I'm at the third day reading everything about the movie, and it's coming along not so bad (I was quite lost after the Nina Simone's song)... It's really a lot of extrapolations, clues you've got to collect like keys to open those unlocked doors allowing the entrance to Lynch's brain... But business as usual for any Lynch's fan (even though he always say that you all have the answers to his movies within yourself, based from your feelings and perceptions, and the fact that the movie was sooo randomly shot, I truly believe everything in the movie has its true meaning, whether that's music, close-up, door with a 47, light in the Phantom's mouth from what I reckon from the dude...). Even though I will forever try to speculate on some of the segments...

One more thing, it was the most uneasy watching he's ever made (really frightening at some point), certain scenes didn't make any sense at all (rabbits anyone ? ; explanations won't help much), but I took them for what they were, some escapes from Sue/Nikki/the Polish girl's mind...

Loads of interesting points here (looonnnggg reading ; obvioulsy for those who've seen the movie) -> http://messageboard.inlandempirecinema.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

• Yeah, I just watched it last night and have really mixed feelings. For the most part, it was engaging enough and Laura Dern was great. Definitely plenty of non-comprehendable "plot" for Lynch fans to discuss. Also, the biggest problem I had was the DV. It simply looks like CRAP. I know he's on this whole DV kick, but he should goes back to film for his next one.

Also, the dance routine end credits with piano dude playing Nina Simone's "Sinner Man" was hot. Pleasant surprise at the end of a long 3 hour sitting.

• I saw it last weekend w/ my girl. I liked the first hour or so, then I fell asleep for about 40 minutes w/ my girl occasionally waking me up for something. Finally, I woke up and watch the last part and thought it was decent. I guess David Lynch was at the theater on opening night (Music Box in Chicago) and just introduced the movie, but wouldn't provide any insight as to what the hell anything meant.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I know this isn't going to sit well with some of you, but as a fan of surrealism in film and of David Lynch. I've got to say sometimes there's a level of pretensiousness that for me makes it less than physically enjoyable to sit through. From Bunuel to to Fellini to Jodorowsky, they blur the lines of storytelling for the sake of abstract cohesiveness. In my opinion Lynch has always been trying too hard with small moments of genius. This movie perfectly embodies what I mean.

- spidey