AI Wants To Say Bye-Bye(Hoops Related)

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

boston could probably pull it off but i really don't like the fit. i never understood why they wanted him so much.

The Celtics are so far off the NBA map right now, and
    getting AI would immediately make them into a high profile
    team again. And with Pierce and Iverson, they would have the
    two stars it takes to make some moves in the standings.

I agree he is not the best "fit" for the team, but the upside
    of getting him, both in the publicity/attendance area as
    well as what he brings to the court, is too much to ignore
    if you are Danny Ainge, IMO.

Listening to Boston sports radio yesterday, AI is already a Celtic

Who's worse, Danny Ainge or Kevin McHale?

• As much as I love AI's natural talents, he is NOT gonna be good for the chemistry of ANY team that he goes to... not as long as he keeps playing the way he always has. He is just by nature a one-on-one player, he doesn't seem to get the concept of team basketball. Everybody says he's had garbage to play with all these years with the Sixers (true to some degree), but look at how a lot of these bums have gone on to be good role players with other teams. Raja Bell, Nazr Mohammed, Matt Harpring, Jerry Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, etc etc.... none of these dudes are all-pro caliber or anything, but they've been waaaay more effective and have been solid contributors for contending teams once they got out from under AI's shadow.
    I honestly hope I'm wrong and that AI will flourish when he gets to his new destination. All he needs to do is modify his game slightly, play as a scoring point guard ala Steve Nash and just look to pass first- maybe he'd do that if he trusted his teammates to make a shot, I dunno. I still say dude is pound-for-pound one of the top 5 most talented ballers ever (maybe higher than that even).

• As much as I love AI's natural talents, he is NOT gonna be good for the chemistry of ANY team that he goes to... not as long as he keeps playing the way he always has. He is just by nature a one-on-one player, he doesn't seem to get the concept of team basketball. Everybody says he's had garbage to play with all these years with the Sixers (true to some degree), but look at how a lot of these bums have gone on to be good role players with other teams. Raja Bell, Nazr Mohammed, Matt Harpring, Jerry Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, etc etc.... none of these dudes are all-pro caliber or anything, but they've been waaaay more effective and have been solid contributors for contending teams once they got out from under AI's shadow.

AI took a really average sixers team to the finals in 2001 and single-handedly beat kobe and shaq in game 1 (stepping over Tyron Lue after sealing the game ).

Stackhouse was terrible for the sixers before AI even got drafted. total gunner. Hughes was like 19/20 years old when he was a sixer and didn't mesh cause the sixers needed too much from him. Harpring was/is an average player and never attempted to be an offensive player under Brown. Mohammed was a total bum and injured for an entire season. Bell is the most overrated player in the league...his offense is horrible.

THE AI trade is a nightmare for Philly (the city). If you don't live here, its hard to understand but he epitomizes that blue collar work ethic. People love the guy and root for him like he's the black Rocky. I've watched kobe since he was an 8th grader and as much as i love his game, AI's skills are from another planet. What he can do with his size and weight is inhuman.

As much as I love AI's natural talents, he is NOT gonna be good for the chemistry of ANY team that he goes to... not as long as he keeps playing the way he always has. He is just by nature a one-on-one player, he doesn't seem to get the concept of team basketball. Everybody says he's had garbage to play with all these years with the Sixers (true to some degree), but look at how a lot of these bums have gone on to be good role players with other teams. Raja Bell, Nazr Mohammed, Matt Harpring, Jerry Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, etc etc.... none of these dudes are all-pro caliber or anything, but they've been waaaay more effective and have been solid contributors for contending teams once they got out from under AI's shadow.

AI took a really average sixers team to the finals in 2001 and single-handedly beat kobe and shaq in game 1 (stepping over Tyron Lue after sealing the game ).

Stackhouse was terrible for the sixers before AI even got drafted. total gunner. Hughes was like 19/20 years old when he was a sixer and didn't mesh cause the sixers needed too much from him. Harpring was/is an average player and never attempted to be an offensive player under Brown. Mohammed was a total bum and injured for an entire season. Bell is the most overrated player in the league...his offense is horrible.

THE AI trade is a nightmare for Philly (the city). If you don't live here, its hard to understand but he epitomizes that blue collar work ethic. People love the guy and root for him like he's the black Rocky. I've watched kobe since he was an 8th grader and as much as i love his game, AI's skills are from another planet. What he can do with his size and weight is inhuman.

So Iverson is faultless? C'mon KVH, You talkin bout practice? Can you get beyond the dick riding and acknowledge that he is part and parcel of Philly's situation. Pleez mention just one mistake please.
    Shouldnt the LEADER show by example?

And what would be your SOLUTION.? If A.I. Stayed what would be your team around him? Keep in mind Philly doesnt spend like NY.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If AI gets traded it will probably be for a bunch of not so good players since he's demanding a trade. It's very hard for teams to get top dollar in such situations because everyone knows they're trying to get rid of the guy.

But this is the City of Philadelphia .....Billy King won't be allowed to fuck this up ...believe me.. every single trade offer and possibility will be run in the paper,on the radio and on TV ...and whatever the people of Philly want him to do ...he will do .......even if that means sitting the year out......the popular vote will determine what happens on this one....

You mean a sports franchise will actually listen to its fans in a situation like this? Give me a break, they won't have shit to do with any trade that is worked out.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    would love to watch AI with KG but I have my fingers crossed that wont happen as Im prayin from KG in a bulls uni this season. doubt it will happen tho

would love to watch AI with KG but I have my fingers crossed that wont happen as Im prayin from KG in a bulls uni this season. doubt it will happen tho

Who do you give up to get him?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Who's worse, Danny Ainge or Kevin McHale?

As players, they were both great, although McHale
    was definitely better. As GM's, neither has really
    shown themselves to be a mastermind of NBA business -
    I've not followed McHale too much (although that scandal
    a few years back was pretty damn ugly), but so far Danny
    hasn't blown me away with the C's - I'd give him a 5 out of
    10 right now, and losing patience.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    If AI gets traded it will probably be for a bunch of not so good players since he's demanding a trade. It's very hard for teams to get top dollar in such situations because everyone knows they're trying to get rid of the guy.

But this is the City of Philadelphia .....Billy King won't be allowed to fuck this up ...believe me.. every single trade offer and possibility will be run in the paper,on the radio and on TV ...and whatever the people of Philly want him to do ...he will do .......even if that means sitting the year out......the popular vote will determine what happens on this one....

You mean a sports franchise will actually listen to its fans in a situation like this? Give me a break, they won't have shit to do with any trade that is worked out.

This is a public relations trade ...they'll listen or the seats will be empty

And all this Minnesota & Boston talk is silly ....They both have zero to offer Philly

So your sayin the owner and GM "listen to the fans" when making a decision?

They told him not to come to practice and he publicly asked to be traded. He's been on the trading block for a minute. Why would they consult "FANS" at this point of the process?And when did this ever happen in the history of Philly B-Ball? I never heard of no shit like that before.

sometimes they do

He's been on the trading block for a minute.

on the trading block and throwing his name around are two different things

Why would they consult "FANS" at this point of the process?

Because whoever they get better fill the seats and sell jerseys

and "consult" is too strong a word for what i'm saying

And when did this ever happen in the history of Philly B-Ball?

Never...but you dudes obviously have no idea how precious Iverson is to The city of Philly ...

I'm not saying they are going take a poll or public survey ...but whatever trade they make it'll be safe and fan approved ....season ticket holders run basketball teams ...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

They told him not to come to practice and he publicly asked to be traded. He's been on the trading block for a minute. Why would they consult "FANS" at this point of the process?And when did this ever happen in the history of Philly B-Ball? I never heard of no shit like that before.

• People love the guy and root for him like he's the black Rocky.

I'm not saying they are going take a poll or public survey ...but whatever trade they make it'll be safe and fan approved ....season ticket holders run basketball teams ...

You're sadly mistaken. Teams can trade away stars, make crappy trades, have losing season, and STILL increase prices on season ticket holders.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

And all this Minnesota & Boston talk is silly ....They both have zero to offer Philly

The Celtics biggest problem right now is that
    they only have talented young players.
    They have, in fact, been stockpiling youth with the
    intention of having solid players available to trade.

A lot of muthafuckas in this town hate his guts too (mostly racists who will never accept a black dude with cornrows, tats and baggy clothes)... oh, when they had that magical nba finals season all was forgotten and everybody loved him... soon as they started slipping, all fingers pointed at AI as being the problem with the Sixers. Attendance is down right now anyway, so that's the reason why they're gonna finally go ahead and pull the trigger on this deal to ship Chuck outta Philly... they don't have much to lose, really. At this point I don't think management cares too much what they get for AI, they just want to get him out of here and start fresh with this team as soon as possible. They've already stated publicly that they are gonna trade him no matter what, which is gonna make it impossible for them to play hardball with other teams as they negotiate this deal. They're pretty much just gonna have to take the best offer they get that'll work as far as matching up players' contracts. Expect to see a 3-team deal go down possibly as early as Sunday. Either Randy Foye or Delonte West will probably be coming back to Philly as part of the trade.

The Celtics biggest problem right now is that
    they only have talented young players.
    They have, in fact, been stockpiling youth with the
    intention of having solid players available to trade.

Gomes is the only one with superstar potential ....and maybe Green

Teams can trade away stars, make crappy trades, have losing season, and STILL increase prices on season ticket holders.

But not without a promise

A lot of muthafuckas in this town hate his guts too (mostly racists who will never accept a black dude with cornrows, tats and baggy clothes)... oh, when they had that magical nba finals season all was forgotten and everybody loved him... soon as they started slipping, all fingers pointed at AI as being the problem with the Sixers.

Dude, you are not speaking for the majority of sixers fans...not even close. Attendance is down because the sixers eat shit. People who don't watch the games or don't know anything about hoops are quick to say that AI is part of the problem. The truth is that we dont know how AI would play with great players around him cause that never happened. What we do know is that he has carried the team to respectability throughout most of his career. Also, even if a trade years ago would have led to slightly better sixers teams over the years, i would MUCH rather have had the opportunity to watch AI play.

A lot of muthafuckas in this town hate his guts too (mostly racists who will never accept a black dude with cornrows, tats and baggy clothes)... oh, when they had that magical nba finals season all was forgotten and everybody loved him... soon as they started slipping, all fingers pointed at AI as being the problem with the Sixers.

Dude, you are not speaking for the majority of sixers fans...not even close.

Never said I was. I'm just speaking for me... I'm talking about these other muthafuckas. One listen to the morons who call in to WIP tells you that there are plenty of people like that in this city (mostly older people who can't relate to homey's hip hop style).

I typed out a whole long thing about AI's game and the players that have surrounded him in Philly, but I just deleted all that schitt. It doesn't even matter. We'll see what he does at his next location. I hope it'll be a better situation for him... sad to see him go, but it's time. PAST time, actually.

Teams can trade away stars, make crappy trades, have losing season, and STILL increase prices on season ticket holders.

But not without a promise

Yes, that they will INCREASE the price in the near future!

• rastarasta 27 Posts
    look like the T-wolves won't take him, much to Garnetts dismay.

I wish, but someone will pick him up....

"practice, practice, you mean practice..."

• Gomes is the only one with superstar potential ....and maybe Green

gomes is not even close to that. i like the way he plays, though. if i were philly i'd ask for ratliff, gomes, west, and a first, but now that iverson has demanded the trade that might be a little rich. i could see it getting done without the pick, though. i don't see philly taking back green unless they think he's better than iguodala and carney, and there's really nothing to support that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    After the Mavs win last night the local sports radio guys were talking about AI coming to Dallas......said they would offer Devin Harris, Jerry Stckhouse, a #1 Pick and Cash??

I doubt he'll wind up here.....but NEVER underestimate the wallet of Mark Cuban!!

After the Mavs win last night the local sports radio guys were talking about AI coming to Dallas......said they would offer Devin Harris, Jerry Stckhouse, a #1 Pick and Cash??

I doubt he'll wind up here.....but NEVER underestimate the wallet of Mark Cuban!!

Allan Iverson Devin Harris
    Jason Terry Jason Terry
    Josh Howard Josh Howard
    Dirk Nowitzski Dirk Nowitzski
    Erick Dampier Eric Dampier

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Mavs are just fine without AI. If anything, he would probably disrupt the chemistry.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Mavs are just fine without AI. If anything, he would probably disrupt the chemistry.

I agree

• PLEASE!!

• Billy King is the worst GM ever.

Look at what has happend to the team since he took over.