Non-Digital Camera Strut

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
just ordered a lomo lc-a+ for my big sis ala xmas. anyone tried this thing? hows developing work with?

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I just got a LOMO in the mail today. I'm participating in the "Industry People" Lomography program they're doing. I'm supposed to use it to document all the photoshoots going on this winter. I'm stoked to take it home and mess with it.

I really want a leica though, but I'm not complaining about getting a free camera!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I bought mine off of SS's "Goatboy". I have to say, I was expecting "more". I've only taken one roll with it and 3/4 of them were throw-aways. The ones that came out had the signature saturated colors and vignettes that lomo is so famous for.

Here are some of the shots:

MORE PICS HERE:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rajsoulstrut/

• I recently found my dad's old HIT camera from way back in the 50s. I want to start using it, but it looks like a hassle to do up the film--because of its miniscule size, it uses 17.5 mm film, which, basically, you have to make yourself, at least from what I've read.

The pictures look like shit, too. Yet, because I dug this up from my dad's childhood, I'm more interested in making it work out of nostalgia. It would make a good Father's Day present if I can get a series of photos snapped and processed by then.

What's the big deal with these Lomo cameras? The website practicly, adverts them as the second-coming.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I bought mine off of SS's "Goatboy". I have to say, I was expecting "more". I've only taken one roll with it and 3/4 of them were throw-aways. The ones that came out had the signature saturated colors and vignettes that lomo is so famous for.

most the rhetoric about it is "AMAZING PICTURES NO BRAINER!!!" im just stoked for the colorsplash flash i got with it. ill post pics when i can.

raj,

were you ocd about where/how you get them developed?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    What's the big deal with these Lomo cameras? The website practicly, adverts them as the second-coming.

very cheap cameras with insane markups that are marketed towards the "it" generation.

They're fun, for sure, but you are definitely paying for the marketing. They're not selling cameras, rather a lifestyle.

get a used holga or diana instead, save yourself a lot of money.

• definatley get a Holga instead - Lomo's are alright but Holga's cost fuck all and the pictures invariably look loads more interesting... if you take out the middle you get some hardcore 'vignetting'-- if thats what youre after.

although my flash broke almost instantly so i can only take pictures for about 2 weeks in summer when there's enought light

but at the same time

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

wish list!

• O, did you ever find a workable film solution for the sx70? Mine is feeling sad in the corner.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

wish list!

you got 5g's on it

• i have one of these. except with the stock lens. and in way better shape.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    O, did you ever find a workable film solution for the sx70? Mine is feeling sad in the corner.

I'm about to test these out:

http://www.lordofthelens.net/servlet/Detail?no=10

• O, did you ever find a workable film solution for the sx70? Mine is feeling sad in the corner.

Sounds great! Keep me posted, would like to see some examples that aren't part of a marketing campaign.

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    Developing films shot with the LC-A is just like developing any other film, although a lot of people choose to cross process (develop slide film with colour negative film chemicals) which can be a bit tricky to get labs to do...

I have a Supersampler and Holga, both of which I was fleeced for by the LSI

Never mind, all in all, didn't spend that much. I also bought a Lomo Cosmic Symbol off the bay for a tenner (still probably over the odds, ha ha), just shooting my first roll in that now...hoping to get a Fed 3 (or another cheap rangefinder) in the new year...

www.flickr.com/photos/jxb128

• What's the big deal with these Lomo cameras? The website practicly, adverts them as the second-coming.

very cheap cameras with insane markups that are marketed towards the "it" generation.

They're fun, for sure, but you are definitely paying for the marketing. They're not selling cameras, rather a lifestyle.

get a used holga or diana instead, save yourself a lot of money.

Thanks, man.

Can you give me the rundown on that Holga camera? What's unique about it? Are the pictures funky or something? Does it have gadgets to use with it? What are these "slides" things? Is it easy to use and develop pictures with? Why choose this and not some other used film camera?

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    holgas are cheap too. plastic toy camera that takes medium format film (square prints). these usually cost more to develop/print than regular 35mm film and you only get 16 exposures, plus the film itself is more expensive. the vignette effect on the photo and the double exposure capabilities (along with its "lo-fi" aspect) are the big selling points i guess. that and they're pretty inexpensive (i got mine for $10 i think). i have one but i haven't used it for 3 or 4 years.. anyone want it?

• Well, I have a nice digital camera, so I'm not overly concerned about development prices unless they're astronomical. I just checking this thing out as a potential x-mas present.

What do you think of the starter kits?

http://www.amazon.com/Holga-829-Lomograp...8&s=electronics

• subsub 311 Posts
    just checked german ebay for polaroids. can you recommend any in terms of availebility of affordable films? cameras are all not more then 2 euro but the films seem to be exspencive and they obviously don't match with every camera so i don't want to buy a polaroid that has the most exspenive films, or films that are not produced anymore...