DreamGirls Pre-Hype to Critique

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I cant escape the hype for this flick. Posters all up on 125st. I heard "Im Tellin You" while shopping. It's sounded pretty good.Y'all can critque this here once you see it. What does the other girl do besides Beyonce and Jennifer?I wonder how the rest of soundtrack sounds? All glitzy and showy mixed w/ some drrrty Motown?

Comments

• I wonder how the rest of soundtrack sounds? All glitzy and showy mixed w/ some drrrty Motown?

Sounds pretty much like the original Dreamgirls music from back in the early 80s, I guess. Not contemporary at all. I doubt that many soulstrut people would like it, but who knows. I am really impressed with Eddie Murphy's singing- not saying that he's Otis Redding or anything, but I definitely think he coulda been a soul singer back in the days ("Party All The Time" & "Put Your Mouth On Me" do not count).

• My organization did a benefit screening the night after the premiere, and while I didn't watch the film, I can tell you that Jennifer got a standing ovation from the audience during the film for "I'm Telling You", and again when she entered the reception afterwards. I heard the same thing happened at the premiere.

I will definitely catch this when it comes out.

• Word has it that Beyonce was feelin' some kinda way about all the love Jennifer Hudson's been getting for her performance. B denies this, of course... I noticed she seemed kinda uptight when the whole cast was on Oprah recently, though.

BTW, Hudson does do a nice job with "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", no doubt. But lets not anybody get it confused even a little bit- Jennifer Holiday > Jennifer Hudson. Easy.

• BTW, Hudson does do a nice job with "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", no doubt. But lets not anybody get it confused even a little bit- Jennifer Holiday > Jennifer Hudson. Easy.

I think a lot of the love comes from people marveling that she can even attempt to follow the great Jennifer Holiday and not totally fail. How to you follow those footsteps and not sound like some cabaret singer or drag queen doing a cheap imitation? But from what I've heard she takes the role and doesn't try to recreate or outdo Holiday's original performance, but gives it her own flavor.

I'm kind of bummed they didn't include the original Broadway stars more in their big media push. It would have been nice to see Holiday and Sheryl Lee Ralph (who I've met and am such a huge fan of) get some renewed interest but for the most part Paramount seems to have excluded them. I guess they are really going for that younger audience.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I doubt that many soulstrut people would like it, but who knows.

Weird that the Motown Doc/What's Love Got to do w/It/RAY get love,but cats are probably

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Weird that the Motown Doc/What's Love Got to do w/It/RAY get love,but cats are probably

Never that--I am checking this opening night on 125th Street.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm kind of bummed they didn't include the original Broadway stars more in their big media push.

WOrd - I was hoping Debbie Burrell might surface since I've been trying to track her down.

I'm kind of bummed they didn't include the original Broadway stars more in their big media push.

WOrd - I was hoping Debbie Burrell might surface since I've been trying to track her down.

Sheryl Lee Ralph......Modern Soul.....

• CO-SIGN ON the Blapage....but yo, I can't take Beyonce serious as an actress. When I heard about this film being made Pre-'Yonce I was thinking "oh shit" but now I'm going to treat it as a car crash: I don't want to look but I will.

I can't take Beyonce serious as an actress.

True , all she has to to is play herself. It's not a stretch at all.
    Call me when she pulls a Charlize Theron MONSTER.

Never that--I am checking this opening night on 125th Street.

"Please, No Gang colors in the theatre!"

• Looks like I'm not the only one disappointed with how they've treated the original Broadway folks.

Jennifer Holliday feels left out of the Dreamgirls hype.

Looks like I'm not the only one disappointed with how they've treated the original Broadway folks.

Jennifer Holliday feels left out of the Dreamgirls hype.

It might seem like a diss, but im sure they want the product to not be weighted down by its history.
    Batman Begins.......Dreamgirls Begins.