PRODUCERSTRUT: Gear advice requested

SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I've grown accustomed to progamming drums via standard MIDI keyboards after doing so for nearly a decade. Regardless, I'm interested in getting either one of these for my home studio in the near future: Anyone here have experience using these MIDI controllers? Are they any good or of use to a person that is already used to programming drums via keys?SG

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Hey man

I will say from doing both (I use an MPC 2000 but occasionally use the keyboard to trigger drum sounds from inside my computer) that the pads are the way to go when you are programming beats. They cannot be matched with the feel and the speed at which you can program , if you are a classically trained pianist, than maybe the keys are your thing , but the pads can make a huge difference in the feel of your programming which is harder to achieve on standard keys.

the mpd16 looks better than the one below it, but I haven't used either. I am going by aesthetics alone on that one.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Hey man

I will say from doing both (I use an MPC 2000 but occasionally use the keyboard to trigger drum sounds from inside my computer) that the pads are the way to go when you are programming beats. They cannot be matched with the feel and the speed at which you can program , if you are a classically trained pianist, than maybe the keys are your thing , but the pads can make a huge difference in the feel of your programming which is harder to achieve on standard keys.

the mpd16 looks better than the one below it, but I haven't used either. I am going by aesthetics alone on that one.

Thanks for the input! I've been looking for new gear in order to change the feel of my music and fire up the creative juices (AYO?). One of these might just do the trick.

The one on top is the entry-level model, the lower one being 100 USD more due to the additional knobs and screen and sliders. Might not be necessary since I already have a MIDI faderbox. For what I gather, the pads on both models are of the same build quality.

SG

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    yea those extra knobs and faders are unecessary for basic programming. go with the entry level model, the pads should be identical. glad i could help!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the mpd16 is notorious for having shitty pads and a buggy usb driver. i wouldn't recommend it at all. the mpd24 has the same pads as the mpc2500, lots of knobs and sliders, and transport controls. you should also look at this korg padkontrol: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KPC1

it doesnt have as much knobs and no sliders compared to the mpd24 but the x y touchpad is supposed to be the realness. if your keyboard has ample knobs and sliders along with transport controls, i would recommend the korg. check out both in person because the only real thing that matters for these things are feel.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Knowledge Droppeth. Thanks for the input! Yeh, I definitely need to take these on test drives before purchasing. The funny thing is that, in the ads I've seen at least, the Korg pads appear to be much smaller than the Akai's.

The ability to add a footswitch to the Korg is nice, too! Anyone ever tried one of these?

SG

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

SG? The mighty Moder collectro? You produce?
    Wanna hear it!