TOP TEN ALBUMS OF THE YEAR 2006

2»

Comments

• my top of 2006 :

Owusu & Hannibal - Living With Owusu & Hannibal
    80's new-wave-feeling mixed with nu-soul vocals, production influenced by jay dee, tons of vintage synths, great melodies and enough weirdness to keep you interested = my pick for numero uno

I would say it's more of a mix of groups like the free design, steely dan, prince, & sa-ra. (HOLY HYPERBOLE). Good shit either way.

DAMN! That sounds like a perfect combo! Is it really that good?

How's the DJ Mehdi record?

• my 2??:

1. Clipse ??? Hell Hath no Fury
    2. J DILLA (JAY DEE) - Donuts
    3. CAT POWER ??? The Greatest
    4. Love is all ??? 9 songs the same
    5. Sonic youth ??? Rather ripped
    6. Ghostface- Fishscale
    7. TV ON THE RADIO ??? Return to Cookie Mt.
    8. Various Artists - Chrome children

can only come up with 8?

not many great "albums" to me this year

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    my top of 2006 :

Owusu & Hannibal - Living With Owusu & Hannibal
    80's new-wave-feeling mixed with nu-soul vocals, production influenced by jay dee, tons of vintage synths, great melodies and enough weirdness to keep you interested = my pick for numero uno

I would say it's more of a mix of groups like the free design, steely dan, prince, & sa-ra. (HOLY HYPERBOLE). Good shit either way.

Hey! Those are my boys from Copenhagen. Philip Owusu and Robin Hannibal. Good to see them get a mention here, they deserve a little light. Great album. One of my faves this year, and I'm not saying that just because I know them (well maybe a little ).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    can't think back far enough to come up with 10 - this is what is still getting lotsa play:

ghost - fishscale
    dilla - donuts
    lullabye arkestra - ampgrave
    om - conference of the birds
    ti - king
    various - good god!
    catpower - the greatest

i have high hopes for More Fish...

• various - good god!

loved this and the TOm Moulton- but I dont think comps count.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Trae - Restless
    Jay Dee - Donuts
    TI - King
    San Quinn - The Rock
    Ryno - They Call Me No
    Baboon - Baboon
    Vybz Kartel - JMT
    Anthony Hamilton - Ain't Nobody Worryin'
    The Coup - Pick a Bigger Weapon
    Slumplordz - Sav City

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In no order-

GhostFace Killa - Fishscale
    T.I. - King
    Murs - The second 9th Wonder collabo
    Sadat X - Experience and Education
    Lord Jamar - The 5% Album
    DJ Quik - Greatest Hits Live @ The House Of Blues
    Omar - Sing(if you want it)
    Beyonce - B'Day
    Ice Cube - Laugh Now, Cry Later
    Kool Keith - Lost Masters Part 2

• KidKKidK 119 Posts
    10 rap albums

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Corinne Bailey Rae

True Corinne Bailey-Rae story.

My girl does a bit of work for her management company, and tells me that "Connie" is completely free of any airs, graces or diva 'tude. So, she was touring the US recently, doing great business wherever she went. At an aftershow for one of her gigs - I think it was in LA - she was introduced to Stevie Wonder, who was full of praise for her album. Anyway, they talked for a while, exchanged maybe-we-should-work-together-sometimes and see-ya-laters, and continued on with their respective evenings. A few minutes later, Stevie was talking with someone else and suddenly cut short the conversation. "Who's crying?" he says, "I can hear a woman crying". Turns out that Corinne Bailey-Rae was stood in a corner of the room in tears, completely overwhelmed not only at having met one of her idols, but having had him talk to her on the same level. Not all that interesting in itself, but still kinda sweet.

• Corinne Bailey Rae

My girl does a bit of work for her management company, and tells me that "Connie" is completely free of any airs, graces or diva 'tude. So, she was touring the US recently, doing great business wherever she went. At an aftershow for one of her gigs - I think it was in LA - she was introduced to Stevie Wonder, who was full of praise for her album. Anyway, they talked for a while, exchanged maybe-we-should-work-together-sometimes and see-ya-laters, and continued on with their respective evenings. A few minutes later, Stevie was talking with someone else and suddenly cut short the conversation. "Who's crying?" he says, "I can hear a woman crying". Turns out that Corinne Bailey-Rae was stood in a corner of the room in tears, completely overwhelmed not only at having met one of her idols, but having had him talk to her on the same level. Not all that interesting in itself, but still kinda sweet.

Cool story!

• some favorites:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Did Pick A Bigger Weapon come out this year? That album is GREAT!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Was that Cursive good? Do they still have that string player? I heard a song off of it that i wasn't big on and didn't get a chance to hear more.

• does this cownt?

• Did Pick A Bigger Weapon come out this year? That album is GREAT!
    Yeah, 2006, and that shit is HOT. I saw them @ the Casbah when they toured for it, and their band tore it the FUCK up. They've played with a band for many years, but I think they finally got the right one. Shit was crazy.

• Was that Cursive good? Do they still have that string player? I heard a song off of it that i wasn't big on and didn't get a chance to hear more.
    I loved it. They replaced the strings with horns, which sounds kinda iffy, but works real well. I like many of their records, but this one probably had the most immediate appeal. I really wish I had been able to catch their show when they came through.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Did Pick A Bigger Weapon come out this year? That album is GREAT!
    Yeah, 2006, and that shit is HOT. I saw them @ the Casbah when they toured for it, and their band tore it the FUCK up. They've played with a band for many years, but I think they finally got the right one. Shit was crazy.

Hey Still, shit forgot about the Coup album - definitely enjoyed that one (particularly from about a third of the way in when I feel the album really starts coming together). I can only imagine how good this would be live with a real band.

• yeah, they pretty much stomped it. And Boots was cool as a motherfucker on-stage. Like he's done this for long enough that he just has it down at this point.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Corinne Bailey Rae

This is the kind of woman I need in my life.

b/w

Terry, have you listened to Donuts again yet?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Another completely fascinating thing about Donuts is how perfectly syncopated and in the pocket all of the details are. And I think somebody mentioned this during an initial thread about the album, but there are also crazy subtle changes and layers constantly circling in the music.