Book people vs. Record people

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
or

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    remember that movie "The ninth gate"?

this dude reminded me so much of a record dealer.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how many times can you really read a book compared to listening to a record

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    how many times can one listen to a sealed raer?

• how many times can one listen to a sealed raer?

ZING

• Reminds me of the scene in the back of the grocery store in Requiem for a Dream.

• I went to an estate sale last weekend that advertised books and records among other stuff. I got there really early and was number four in line. Guy number three happened to be really fat.
    At 9AM the doors open and we start going into the apartment. We'd asked the estate agent beforehand where the books and records were in the house and she said on the third floor. So we're marching up the stairs and guy number three is having a tough go of it. He's moving but not fast enough for guy number five (a book guy) who's raising hell behind me and asking if he can pass. I'm trying to ignore him but on the first landing guy number five blazes past me and number three. I wanted to/should have tripped him. Shitty book collection anyway. Decent records (lotsa disco 12's).
    I like the book guys because they make the record guys look sane(r).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    id imagine grading books would be a lot more of a pain in the ass than records, huh?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I met this guy at a real estate sale who was into collecting old shaving razors, electric and non electric. wierd people at the estate sale, i guess i'm one of them.

• id imagine grading books would be a lot more of a pain in the ass than records, huh?

Nope. Much simpler.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I went to an estate sale last weekend that advertised books and records among other stuff. I got there really early and was number four in line. Guy number three happened to be really fat.
    At 9AM the doors open and we start going into the apartment. We'd asked the estate agent beforehand where the books and records were in the house and she said on the third floor. So we're marching up the stairs and guy number three is having a tough go of it. He's moving but not fast enough for guy number five (a book guy) who's raising hell behind me and asking if he can pass. I'm trying to ignore him but on the first landing guy number five blazes past me and number three. I wanted to/should have tripped him. Shitty book collection anyway. Decent records (lotsa disco 12's).
    I like the book guys because they make the record guys look sane(r).

Funny, almost the same story a few months ago.. line started forming outside this guys house who advertised he was selling his rare book and rare record collection. Everyone is down at the bottom of the drive way.. I'm sizing everyone up and seeing some of the older, greasier record guy types and some of the younger, greasier record guy types and a few guys like me, the younger, non greasy, record bag/portable carrying types and then a bunch of random dudes I hadn't seen before. Then the garage door starts going up slowly and a mass of 30-40 people start marching towards the garage.. they start walking faster.. faster.. almost running.. then.. running. I was near the front but not first and thought I was gonna miss out.. but once we got in the house all these dudes broke off and went for the book shelves! There was still a lot of record comp but it was pretty weird to have the book nerds there with their only little head to head pushing and bumping eachother out of the way and down on their knees trying to go through all the books..

Somewhere the book nerds are probably arguing "Slaughter House 5 VS Cat's Cradle" right now.

• i go almost equally apeshit for bookraer, comicraer and recordraer. if you can flip through it, i seem to like buying it.

that top photo with the freaks getting sweaty over the brand new textbooks and/or bargain books is confusing to me though. it would be like record folks going nuts over brand new cd cutouts, just because its music. "cot damn i need me that 2004 oxford dictionary! 4 copies!" ?!??

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'd have to at least check the book in that pic entitled "The Biggest Bangs."

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i go almost equally apeshit for bookraer, comicraer and recordraer. if you can flip through it, i seem to like buying it.

yeah, me too. Except replace 'Comicraer' with 'Movieraer'.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

You see, record people have names like "Lenny", while book people have names like "Carl".

• Cat's Cradle

• You see, record people have names like "Lenny", while book people have names like "Carl".

so if you are both youre "Kenny"?

• More chicks in the book crowd...