Busdriver = worst concert ever seen

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Wow, how i even made it to a busdriver concert is still a bit of a mystery. But it went sort of like this. My man pete (aka pistol pete on soulstrut) hit me up and asked if i wanted to go see a hi-tek concert. I was mildly intrigued, and it was free and close to my crib, so we left to check it out. We get there and theres this weird looking tall lanky dude dressed like a bum onstage and hes holding two microphones at once and hes just completely spazzing out. It looked like He was having an epilectic fit live on stage. Im like, damn, is this dude okay?Theres some dude in the back though hitting buttons on a little drum machine like nothing is wrong though, so It must have been part of the show. Theres also this humongous fat mexican guy bobbing around eating some chicken looking equally bummy. Pete tells me this must be the opening act. Im thinking this must be some kind of joke. Or im at the wrong show. Then the dude on stage starts into this singing bit! The beat sounds like some toyota commercial and hes just wailing. Its truly aweful. Just objectively speaking some of the worst sounds i have ever experienced. Its like gnarls barkley with down syndrome and a million times shittier. I briefly thought he was paul barman. THen i notice some of the people there actually seem to know the song! Then he starts saying something about the good life, And I was like, hold on, mabye this dude is for real? Then he says the fat dude is 2mex. And then it clicked, i was at a project blowed show! It was the dude from the blind date thing on soulstrut! Busdriver! Then hes all repping the blowed on stage for like 10 solid minutes. Just making SURE that everyone knew he was down and all that. But basicly, is the blowed cosigning this dude? Cause I havent heard alot of their other stuff, but this guy was beyond shitty. I wanted to throw stuff at him. Ive never had that impulse at a show before. It reminded me of my dorm room days when id be making beats and some dufus from maine or something would be all in my space talking about he can freestyle, and then does his best micromachine guy impression but its all about religion or something. I dont mean to be hating on dude so hard, but seriously, this was the worst shit i have ever seen in my life.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Sadly, even though it was a blowed function, i was unable to locate ninjafish. Who im sure is much better.

• i must say when the underground tape trades were banging on the atak board
    heads use to recommend busdriver.i started to like some of his stuff like the tracks on cater to the dj and a couple of other songs he made like imaginary places.i lost a lot of respect for him after watching him live.he reminded me of a white vesion of dose one.All he did was babel about the blowed and how underground hip hop happend 10 years ago.blah blah but staright to the point i'll never watch him live again.

• Theres also this humongous fat mexican guy bobbing around eating some chicken looking equally bummy.

his best micromachine guy impression but its all about religion or something.

dude post of the YEAR. I am laughing out loud like the roommates are telling me to keep it down. this shit is off the hinges. man THANK YOU. sorry you had to endure this schitt. plaese to page archaic canal to rebut this...

• white vesion of dose one.

uhh you're joking right?

• haha.LOL
    i mean black version.haha sorry bout that one folks..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Its like gnarls barkley with down syndrome and a million times shittier. I briefly thought he was paul barman.

HHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

damn thats funny!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    a white vesion of dose one

• how can you live in LA and not know who busdriver is.....

i'm not saying you're wrong about his stage act, but if you live in LOS ANGELES and haven't BUSDRIVER it doens't make sense. seems like everytime i leave the crib i see busdriver. i'm talking about grocery stores not venues.

• I'm pretty sure I saw Busdriver riding the bus. I'm not kidding.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Theres also this humongous fat mexican guy bobbing around eating some chicken looking equally bummy.

his best micromachine guy impression but its all about religion or something.

dude post of the YEAR. I am laughing out loud like the roommates are telling me to keep it down. this shit is off the hinges. man THANK YOU. sorry you had to endure this schitt. plaese to page archaic canal to rebut this...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    B****** you outdid yourself with this one. FANTASTIC.

• i must say when the underground tape trades were banging on the atak board
    heads use to recommend busdriver.i started to like some of his stuff like the tracks on cater to the dj and a couple of other songs he made like imaginary places.i lost a lot of respect for him after watching him live.he reminded me of a white vesion of dose one.All he did was babel about the blowed and how underground hip hop happend 10 years ago.blah blah but staright to the point i'll never watch him live again.

I kinda like this guy's recorded material too, although alot of his fans piss me off on some "he proves that all commerical MCs are garbage" GTFOHWTBS. I just like him because he is on some crazy schitt. I used to not be able to understand the micro-machine flow at all, but you start to catch more once you get familar with it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What's to rebut?

I've never liked Busdriver.

Then again, I've seen him perform live as a solo act (by accident at SXSW last year) and it was faaaaar from the worst I've ever seen.

And why do og Blowed folks cosign him?

Because at the very least, he's got an original style.

The Blowed environment is one where carbon copies are the first to be weeded out. Let's not forget that Fat Joe got please-pass-the-mic'ed at the Good Life back in the day just for that.

With the the Blowed as an open forum which could be more accurately described as a gauntlet, Busdriver simply paid his dues by weathering the storm and developing his own unique voice.

Even though I can't stand him and I think he ruins many tracks that he does guest spots on, I still have to respect him for carving out his own niche which actually seems to attract enough fans to still keep him active after all of these years.

And if anything, B-sides comes across as way too much on Busdriver's jock than anything else.

• how can you live in LA and not know who busdriver is.....

i'm not saying you're wrong about his stage act, but if you live in LOS ANGELES and haven't BUSDRIVER it doens't make sense. seems like everytime i leave the crib i see busdriver. i'm talking about grocery stores not venues.

I live in LA, work in music and go to about 5 shows a week. I didn't even know what he looked like, nor did I really give a shit.

And yes - I first thought it was open mic night when I walked in and heard him. Shit was awful.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    i can't say too much about busdriver that hasn't already been said.

but if 2mex were to record an entire album only of him eating chicken, he'd still have better rhymes than jeezy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The Blowed environment is one where carbon copies are the first to be weeded out. Let's not forget that Fat Joe got please-pass-the-mic'ed at the Good Life back in the day just for that.

The fact that you are hating on Fat Joe is almost enough to make me like him. Almost.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The fact that you are hating on Fat Joe is almost enough to make me like him. Almost.

Don't make me say it....

I still can't believe you hated "Get It Poppin'", and yes, I am serious.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    It was the dude from the blind date thing on soulstrut!

Guzzo?

• Its like gnarls barkley with down syndrome

gnarls is outkast with down syndrome...daaaamn, how many chromosomes are we adding here?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Don't make me say it....

You clearly are not. I beseech you: please be serious.

The only redeeming thing about that song was the video with Lashontae Heckert in it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Don't make me say it....

You clearly are not. I beseech you: please be serious.

The only redeeming thing about that song was the video with Lashontae Heckert in it.

I'll have to check that out!

• I'm pretty sure I saw Busdriver riding the bus. I'm not kidding.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Theres some dude in the back though hitting buttons on a little drum machine like nothing is wrong though...

Oh man, this line had me busted up at a work-related going away event today.

Thanks.