David Shire - Taking of Pelham 123

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
was there ever an original release of this on LP ?or only the reissue on vinyl ?thanks.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This is also a question I have been meaning to ask. I have NEVER seen an original copy or even heard of one being alluded to!

• There was never a original pressing. But what you are calling a re-issue is something like an original. It is the first issue of that OST.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• There are several Japanese cover versions of the main theme, there is even a 7 inch.

• it's a great issue taken from the master tapes

....also from those great people at FSM, look for the CHiPs first season complete ost !!!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Reminded by this thread, I just ordered the "OG" LP. Been meaning to do that for a long while. Great score to a great movie. Matthau and Shaw are excellent and that "gesundheit" ending is a classic in my mind garden. My dad has the John Godey novel it was based on lying around somewhere. Maybe I should give it a read one day.

• I found the book in Addis Ababa while I was running out of stuff to read. I like the book more than the film. DeShawn go read it! I think I borrowed my copy to JSPR...

Dress

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i have the dvd
    i thought the vinyl is a boot off the film and not the real thing?
    also there are no funky tuners or breaks on it so why would you want it?

i keed

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    As far as I know, the music on the Retrograde issue comes from David Shire's personal reels of the score. Some are in stereo, some are not, but there's 10 additional minutes of music that wasn't used in the final cut of the film. I don't know about the sound quality as I have never heard the whole thing. Anyone care to comment on that?

• It is no rip off of the Movie score. The recordings are taken of the original reels, very good sound. And yes additional versions of the maintheme never used in the movie. This OST is full of dope music, and dope samples.

Check this record out

CUS

it is the first time, as far as I know, that the sample was used in a rap track. I know the producer, he told me he searched one year for a vinyl till he knew there is no. So he lifted it of the VCR cassette.

This tune is dope as hell, but better check for the instrumental, the raps are pre-dope !!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• that "gesundheit" ending is a classic in my mind garden.

Co-Sign!

Loved that ending. Totally classic.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    the Pelham OST has been sampled on an well known Xzibit track too...

• the Pelham OST has been sampled on an well known Xzibit track too...

Before 1993 ??? I know that the sample was used more than one time, there is a breakbeat tune with the main theme that is edited under a snowboard trailer which is running here on MTV europe.

I did it, here is what the site had to say

The Taking of Pelham 123 soundtrack: (? 1974)
    * "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3"
    Mix Master Mike - "Suprize Packidge"
    ShowBiz & A.G. - "Hard to Kill"
    Xzibit - "Los Angeles Times"

Peace

• There is also a great cover version

Mulato - the taking of pelham 123 theme
    A 7 inch on ethiopian airlines label ..

• kinda related :

max sedgley - 'happy' uses horns from the main theme, and there is a tasty cover of 'happy' by the bamboos which actually sounds more like a main theme from pelham 1-2-3 upgraded into even bigger crime-funk banger

• and there is a tasty cover of 'happy' by the bamboos

MP3 ????????????????

• Thanks

Peace
    Hawkeye