yo, ebay sellers...

don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
so the lady at the PO--whose has been rather unpleasant to me in my few visits-- tells me i cant get delivery conf on a package less than 3/4 of an inch on media rate ...ive been shipping these packages for years now and never heard this before...now im not one to scream and i even tried to reason with her...to no avail...but as a brown skin individual w/ dark features...shes lookin kinda somebody tell me theyve experienced equally small mindedness on behalf of PO employees plz...and i will be shipping electronically from the comfort of my home from now on

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Those statements should be met with "Can I speak to your manager please?"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Those statements should be met with "Can I speak to your manager please?"

Fuck an arrogant sales assistant.

• my thoughts exactly, but she even pulled out this little measuring device and showed me how i was approx 2 fingernail widths short to qualify...i smiled and said i would go to the PO down the street where theyre not so specific...

but seriously...at this point, im curious if she just made this up, or if its an actual PO requirement....either way its rarely, if ever, enforced....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My dad and his wife were mailing some stuff media rate at some little rural PO a while back and they insisted on tearing open the package to determine whether the materials qualified as 'media' or not... I have never heard of such a practice and I'd be curious if anyone else has had that happen

After the transaction was completed they pointed out that he was an administrator for the USPS and she was a postmaster... the employee apologized profusely and said they should have told her before they went through all that...

So I doubt its just you man.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    My dad and his wife were mailing some stuff media rate at some little rural PO a while back and they insisted on tearing open the package to determine whether the materials qualified as 'media' or not... I have never heard of such a practice and I'd be curious if anyone else has had that happen

Yeah, this happened to a friend last year.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah, this happened to a friend last year.

Ah, so it is policy

Apparantly people mail ALL KINDS of shit media and they're trying to crack down

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You can have delivery confirmation on thin envelopes with photographs or whatever bullshit you wanna send.

STOP TRYING TO SCAM MEDIA RATE BATCHES! THE GOVMENT GONNA CUT THAT SHIT OUT AND HAVE EVERYTHING SENT PARCEL POST IF YOU KEEP IT UP!

For those not in the club, Parcel Post sucks ass.

• Actually I tried to get delivery confirmation on an envelope from an automated postal machine and it gave me the 3/4" rule too. So I got registered with tracking, which apparently they can do for an envelope.

Unless the terminal was giving me a break cuz I'm white

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    so the lady at the PO--whose has been rather unpleasant to me in my few visits-- tells me i cant get delivery conf on a package less than 3/4 of an inch on media rate ...ive been shipping these packages for years now and never heard this before...now im not one to scream and i even tried to reason with her...to no avail...but as a brown skin individual w/ dark features...shes lookin kinda

somebody tell me theyve experienced equally small mindedness on behalf of PO employees plz...and i will be shipping electronically from the comfort of my home from now on

Are you saying the package is less than 3/4 of an inch thick?? What are you mailing exactly? Whatever it is there is a way to get confirmation on it reguardless of what she is telling you..

I also ask because if you were mailing a single CD (w bubble mailer) or 7" (in 7" box) then first class would be cheaper than media rate and also might allow the confirmation..

I have had problems with particular postal people who were determined not to let me use media rate. I finally called the main office and had them send me a page out of the guide that said what qualified for media. At that time it was something like 'any audio recordings and any computer readable media' among other things - pretty broad - so from then on I took that paper in with me and told them to eatadicup. Not really but something like that.

A more common way I see people get burned is trying to use priority mailboxes turned inside out for other mail classes..

If you ship a lot of packages though you should just get down with printing your own postage and have them pick it up.. if you are in the record game for the long haul I'd also reccomend investing in a thermal printer with adhesive labels aka Zebra.. It will be well worth it in the long run.. can't believe I didn't have one sooner back when I was carting 40 boxes a week 10 miles across town to the 'good' post office to avoid hassle.

I still haven't figured out international though.. seems safer, easier and faster to take those in and let them do it.