Cherry Tomato Appreciation Thread

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
These little things exploding in your mouth with the right cheese combination are one of the reasons I don't want to leave this planet.CHERRY TOMATO FOR LIFEAPPRECIATE!

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm with you. Now that there are no local tomatoes available in Canada, the best alternative are cherry/grape tomatoes. Instead of the bland pulpiness of imported tomatoes, cherry tomatoes from a hothouse are almost invariably sweet and flavourful. I almost like them roasted more than I do fresh. So yes, cherry tomatoes are where it's at.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    CAPRESE SALAD - DIRECTIONS:

1. Arrange tomato, cheese slices and basil alternately overlapping on platter.
    2. Whisk oil and vinegar together. Pour over tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I replace dollarbin tomatoes with premium quality cherry tomatoes.

Red wine.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    For sure. Plaese to not underestimate the power of the Plum Tomato. I slice into medallions with sea salt and pepper or a slice of cheese.

When i was younger it took me a few tries to master the cherry tomato. They used to squirt all over the place before i found out i should just be putting the whole thing in my mouth. It also took a few tries to master the Capri Sun.

• Cherry tomatoes are the equivalent to CTI jazz funk. Although a sun gold cherry tomato is like "Nautilus." To get with that real tomato you have to get yourself some heirlooms, tomato raer.

Summer is over, I cry.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Aw man, gotta have those fresh organic heirloom tomatoes, get some stale bread, a good homemade vinagrette, and mix it all up. So damn good.

A whole side of my family hates raw tomatoes, which makes zero sense to me. There's nothing like a really good tomato.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Cherry tomatoes are the equivalent to CTI jazz funk. Although a sun gold cherry tomato is like "Nautilus."

you diss cherry tomatoes you diss yourself.

I have a Kingston Trio "Aspen Gold" on Nautilus. Audiophile. Never heard a terd so vividly and in my face.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    CAPRESE SALAD - DIRECTIONS:

1. Arrange tomato, cheese slices and basil alternately overlapping on platter.
    2. Whisk oil and vinegar together. Pour over tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I replace dollarbin tomatoes with premium quality cherry tomatoes.

Red wine.

I also replace cheese with buffallo mozzarella, vinegar with a few drops of real headz balsamico, and oil with a few drops of premium olive oil from the Tuscany, salt with fleur de sel and pepper with fresh ground premium pepper.

There are very little amounts of real San Marzano tomatoes available again and these are unmatched in flavor.
    And raer varieties are small yellow ones, green and red ones, tomaoes with different shapes aso.

However, for regular use in most of the cases high quality cherry tomatoes are the best tomatoes widely available. appreciated!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

vinegar with a few drops of real headz balsamico

acceto balsamico?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

vinegar with a few drops of real headz balsamico

acceto balsamico?

yup, here it is

BUT: very little of it!

It??s very common in Germany that people use cheap balsamico or lots of other vinegar for caprese, but the OG version barely includes any vinegar. If vinegar is used a few drops real shitt are my favourite.

• These little things exploding in your mouth with the right cheese combination are one of the reasons I don't want to leave this planet.

Please to eleaborate on the right cheese combination. I often slice Romas and mozzarella and top with basil, olive oil, basalmic, and salt and pepper. I assume there is a more appropriate cheese for cherry tomats?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Heirloom tomatoes? Plum tomatoes? All are great, yes, but only in season. This time of the year it's impossible to find a good tomato that isn't a cherry tomato in my neck of the woods.

Personally, I wouldn't use a truly high quality balsamic vinegar with my bufalo mozzerala. I save such vinegar for garnishing fruit and desserts. Once you get into aged balsamics, there's insufficient acidity to balance the fat of the cheese and the sweetness of the tomatoes.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Cherry tomatoes are trouble. I was on a flight home and we were served a salad w/cherry tomatoes. The poor sap next to me was working on business. I take a bite and it shoots tomato innards all lover his work. So when on a plane I suggest eating the tomato whole. The funny thing was I had my headphones on and quickly took a napkin to his work and went right back to listening to music like it was no big thing. I think airlines should use grape tomatoes in the future. Peace.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    funniest thread eva

my mom makes this amazing cherry tomato indian dish. dont have the recipe on me but its something like:

onions, halved cherry tomatoes, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and a green chili stir-fry stylee.

you can have it with rice, a sandwich spread, or even as a pasta sauce.

definition

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

These little things exploding in your mouth with the right cheese combination are one of the reasons I don't want to leave this planet.

Please to eleaborate on the right cheese combination. I often slice Romas and mozzarella and top with basil, olive oil, basalmic, and salt and pepper. I assume there is a more appropriate cheese for cherry tomats?

Personally, I like my cherry tomatoes with Dambo cheese:

Dambo cheese is fatty and it is characterised as a soft and elastic consistence, non-granular and an even yellowish white colour. It has a smooth lactic taste, slightly salty, even without cracks.