Sugar Pie Desanto - hello San Francisco LP (PCR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
So is this album really worth as much as it went for on ebay recently?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So is this album really worth as much as it went for on ebay recently?

No, it's not. Jesse put up a copy recently that sold for $300 but only b/c proceeds were going to Sugar Pie's post-fire fund.

I noticed that a recent posting is trying to hawk the LP for a starting price of $99 + a reserve on top of that but no money to her charity. Seems like a huge douche bag move.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah, thanks for that reality check. I figured the charity move was an influence on the end price of that recent auction. Any idea of a balpark actual value of the record? Is a bill unrealistic? Being in OZ and never having heard of the album until now I'm just wondering.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, thanks for that reality check. I figured the charity move was an influence on the end price of that recent auction. Any idea of a balpark actual value of the record? Is a bill unrealistic? Being in OZ and never having heard of the album until now I'm just wondering.

I always thought it was more like a $20-30 LP, at best.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I always thought it was more like a $20-30 LP, at best.

I've seen it go for around $75

as far as I know its the only full length on the Jasman label, I'm sure one of the Bay area strutters can correct me if I'm wrong.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've sold a few copies for under $20

• I had seen it go for $65-$70 maybe a couple years ago on ebay. I haven't really tracked prices on it so I don't know if that was an anomoly or not. By the way, thank you to everyone who supported the charity auction. I actually came up with a second copy of the LP and the second highest bidder came through so we raised $625 total for her.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I had seen it go for $65-$70 maybe a couple years ago on ebay. I haven't really tracked prices on it so I don't know if that was an anomoly or not. By the way, thank you to everyone who supported the charity auction. I actually came up with a second copy of the LP and the second highest bidder came through so we raised $625 total for her.

That's awesome and an incredibly good look on your part.

I also gotta say you turn up some of the craziest records, I don't know how
    you do it...your 45 list on eBay right now is completely killin' it, fer real.

• Jesse works hard in the East Bay which is chock full of great records. That's why he gets such great shit.

The Sugar Pie Desanto is a $30-40 record in my world at most and is not very tough to come by, although it is a fantastic record. I regret selling my copy last year, but I suppose I'll find another.

I am sure it can go higher because of the label and the songs on it but honestly, it's not very rare.

• Great LP for sure. I assume the high point of this record's value hit a few years ago when the first bay area funk comp came out...the "git back" 45 hit its highest price around that time I believe (75 ish?), so the LP reaped some of that benefit as well Im guessing....

• Great LP for sure. I assume the high point of this record's value hit a few years ago when the first bay area funk comp came out...the "git back" 45 hit its highest price around that time I believe (75 ish?), so the LP reaped some of that benefit as well Im guessing....

and yet..."straighten it out with your man" is the much better song...imo...I let justin borrow a copy for the bay area comp he did....as far as I've seen...that is the rarest of her jasman 45s...not too often seen...has that been the case with you too jesse? oh, and that's really cool you did that auction for here....

and yet..."straighten it out with your man" is the much better song...imo...I let justin borrow a copy for the bay area comp he did....as far as I've seen...that is the rarest of her jasman 45s...

This is my favorite song too. I gave up looking for the 7" a while ago.

and yet..."straighten it out with your man" is the much better song...imo...I let justin borrow a copy for the bay area comp he did....as far as I've seen...that is the rarest of her jasman 45s...

cosine...scooped a 45 of it a few months ago for a five bucks. How raer? I got it in a store here in town, that I thought looks every 45 up before they put them on the floor..I guess they didnt, although they put 10 bucks on the "Hello San Francisco" 45, which I passed on...

cosine...scooped a 45 of it a few months ago for a five bucks. How raer? I got it in a store here in town, that I thought looks every 45 up before they put them on the floor..I guess they didnt, although they put 10 bucks on the "Hello San Francisco" 45, which I passed on...

how rare...hmm...don't know for sure...but, johnny don't have 1...I loaned my copy to jinx for his comp...and I got mine at a dealer's house...who jinx and I both know (you know who ...and he only had 1 copy...this dude was bay og style...and I can't think of many people off the top of my dome who have it (cool chris?)...

not saying it's super rare...but, for sure...not so common...no copies on gemm...I checked for you johnny (I'll let you know if I find another

I got the lp in the mid-90's...but, didn't see the 45 till close to 2002-2003...almost 10 years...and I was buggin when I saw it came on 7"!

• shit, thanks for the info, guess I will hold on to mine for awhile!

• I would...love that 1...I've dropped that on a few folks who were unaware...it's that cut on the LP where you are like...WHOA! this LP is a score!

• It's funny, I've been lucky enough to find Chucky Thurmon, The Inticers and Natural Impulse this year, but no Sugar Pie 45's on Jasman. So you guys who have 'em, don't take them for granted.
    On a more serious note, I deposited the second installment of the donation at the Wells Fargo today and the teller knew Sugar Pie as a customer. He said the bank employees actually pitched together to donate to her fund, which is awesome. But he said in general donations have been slow to come in. So if anyone feels like dipping into their wallet I can find out how you can contribute. I would think you should be able to mail a check directly to the bank with her account info included but I can double check if anyone wants to do that. Come to think of it, you can probably go into any Wells Fargo and do it. The account # is 367-333-5752 and checks should be made payable to Sugar Pie DeSanto.

• Ill go back to that shop and see if they still have the "Hello San Francisco" 45, if they do, I'll scoop it and send it to you if you would like to do another auction for her...

• Thanks for the thought, really, but that particular one probably wouldn't fetch much, even for charity. That's more along the lines of vocal jazz if I remember correctly.

• Thanks for the thought, really, but that particular one probably wouldn't fetch much, even for charity. That's more along the lines of vocal jazz if I remember correctly.

read between the lines here people!