Chicago: Who's going to see Phil Cohran?

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Hyde Park Art Center. | 5020 S. Cornell Avenue Chicago, IL 60615 | Phone: 773-324-5520Sunday, December 10, 2 pmPHIL COHRANAn intimate look at Sun Ra from one of his key associates, Philip Cohran, who played trumpet with the Arkestra in the late ???50s, before starting his own influential group the Artistic Heritage Ensemble. John Corbett will interview Cohran, who will also narrate a slideshow of rarely seen Arkestra photos. linkThis is in conjunction with the ongoing Sun Ra exhibit in Hyde Park.Does this interest anyone else?

Comments

• I would be there no question if I lived in the area.

Anybody know if the re-release of "Malcolm X Memorial" legitimate or a boot?

Since Dusty Groove is selling it, then I would say legit?

Malcolm X Memorial

• damn damn damn. I wish I could go. Phil Cohran is that dude.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I would be there no question if I lived in the area.

Malcolm X Memorial

Well, the first reissue (of the blue Cohran Ensemble LP) WAS legit; I know one of the men responsble, and he dealt with Cohran directly (unsubstantiated word is that he can be a handful to deal with). I'm not exactly sure if my dude's behind this, but if he is, then it's legit. DG has unknowingly sold boots in the past (Harlem Underground comes to mind, color-copied paste-on cover and all), but they are generally pretty discriminating with the legitimacy of their stock.

• That does look like an amazing weekend. I wonder why they didn't bring the Arkestra out to perform for it. Thurston Moore is great ... but how 'bout Marshall Allen, Michael Ray, Art Jenkins, etc?

Well ... schedules, funding, who knows? Anyway ... looks like an amazing event. I'd love to see Phil Cohran. His infamous LP is

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I wish I could travel to Chicago via transmolecularization to see this..

Is Phillip Cohran still active in the clubs out there?
    His LP is a favorite and I don't have a clue what he's up to..glad to hear he's alive and well though.

• You can see Cohran a few times a week at an Ethiopian restaurant up on Broadway, near the Armory.
    It's like kalimba (err, frankiphone) karaoke with prerecorded drone.
    Kind of interesting while you're eating delicious food.
    I find the waitresses to be much more a reason to go.

And BTW, Dusty Groove sells TONS of boots, just have a look at their Funk CD section.
    I examined that Malcolm X CD and saw a recent Chicago address, so who knows.

Malcolm X Memorial

You aren't serious, right?

The first LP on Anestarium (then Hefty) was legit, but this one I'm not sure about. The CD cover looks like a straight scan, complete with ring wear and age discoloring.... maybe okay for a CDR inkjet cover, but a proper reissue?

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

You can see Cohran a few times a week at an Ethiopian restaurant up on Broadway, near the Armory.
    It's like kalimba (err, frankiphone) karaoke with prerecorded drone.
    Kind of interesting while you're eating delicious food.
    I find the waitresses to be much more a reason to go.

Wow. This sounds like a winning scenario.

My vague intention to visit Chicago just intensified and sharpened into a reality.
    I miss being around Ethiopian culture.
    and all respect, the women are some of the finest God put on this earth.
    But Philip Cohran live on top of all that..

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Just to clarify: I don't expect Cohran to be playing at this event; just recounting his time with the Arkestra. Didn't want to mislead folks.

• I might go for kicks.