best TV show EVAR??

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Fuck the Wire, HOMOCIDE. No cop show in the last 25 years has had such a profound and lasting influence IMO. Andre Braugher has gotta be one of the most underappreciated actors of our era, and the lo-fi camera work was totally ahead

That's what I wanted to bring up as an example w/ Law And Order. But HBO can do a whole alot more on cable than reg network tv. Sex in The City, Oz,The Wire,Sopranos, and DeadWood are all shows that Ive heard many cats revere as incredible shows.

The same dude that wrote HOMOCIDE also wrote the wire, he also wrote the corner miniseries on hbo. But even he will tell you that the wire is his fully realized vision.

Deadwood is good, but its really just entertaining, it doesnt really have any sort of social commentary like the wire. I really enjoy the show though.

Law and Order, Sopranos, Oz, whatever, im telling you they are not even in the same category as the wire. I can see how people might think that if they've only seen a couple episodes, but if you can get through a whole season, any of them, you will see how its a totally different type of show.

Homocide was about the cops.
    The Corner was about the streets.

The wire is really about everything. Theres no good guys or bad guys, its just about how everyone plays their own role in ths system and how each role contributes to the larger problem. Every charachter is therefore easily relatable and realistic and you really get to see the situation from all sides.

Best t.v. show ever by a long shot.

also, not in the same category, but alot of people are still sleeping on battlestar galactica. Once you get past the stupid name you will see that its also a pretty great show.

• Fuck the Wire, HOMOCIDE. No cop show in the last 25 years has had such a profound and lasting influence IMO. Andre Braugher has gotta be one of the most underappreciated actors of our era, and the lo-fi camera work was totally ahead

I cosine on HOMICIDE - best TV show ever.

But THE WIRE is great too. Glad to see so many fans on the board.

Other faves...

KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER
    OZ
    DARK SHADOWS
    TWILIGHT ZONE
    G vs E
    BERNIE MAC
    THE AVENGERS
    NANCY DREW/HARDY BOYS MYSTERIES

and of course

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    also, not in the same category, but alot of people are still sleeping on battlestar galactica. Once you get past the stupid name you will see that its also a pretty great show.

Yeah, cats are proclaiming this as the Star Trek of its time - even better w/ the heavy handed social commentary steelo - that a baby can pick up and join right with'em.

So obvious Iraq/US gov themes - ok I get it. I watched the first cuple of episodes and shit was good.
    Im wasnt blown away.

The same dude that wrote HOMOCIDE also wrote the wire, he also wrote the corner miniseries on hbo. But even he will tell you that the wire is his fully realized vision.

• The same dude that wrote HOMOCIDE also wrote the wire, he also wrote the corner miniseries on hbo. But even he will tell you that the wire is his fully realized vision.

They also did OZ, well some of them.. There were so many talents involved in Homocide, actors/writers/cameramen.. sound was really big for them as well..It seems to me that now the floodgates are opened for real artistically sound TV now, thanks to HBO + cable networks in general, putting big bucks behind quality material. 'Homocide' might of got canned, but i wonder if all of this 'Gourmet TV' would exist without it..

I have about 5 episodes on a bootleg VHS comp that I copped from a comic shop in manhattan.

Real dirty sci-fi heads stuff there. The talking monkey......

They also did OZ, well some of them.. There were so many talents involved in Homocide, actors/writers/cameramen.. sound was really big for them as well..It seems to me that now the floodgates are opened for real artistically sound TV now, thanks to HBO + cable networks in general, putting big bucks behind quality material. 'Homocide' might of got canned, but i wonder if all of this 'Gourmet TV' would exist without it..

My homie who's a Homicide fan would tell me they originated the shakey cam style that cats have copped.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I have never seen nor heard of ARK II but I want to see at least one episode.
    Strictly on the strength of this jpeg...

Any show which has a monkey as a cast member has to be good.

I have never seen nor heard of ARK II but I want to see at least one episode.

The girl -

I used to watch it as a kid - it is its own animal in the sci-fi game. Silent Running the movie shared the whole "Save the Ecology" theme. So 70's !!!!!

• DUDE! Ordered this last weekend - should be here on Monday:

All the episodes on official DVD!

• I couldn't agree more. I have the complete set ... absolutely untouchable in so many dimensions. Perfect blend of camp, political satire, psychological tension (and inventiveness) ... just an incredible show!

Gotta love the Magnum record shop scene from "The Girl who was Death" with Jean Claude Petit's "Psychedelic Portrait" playing in the background. Someone was hitting up the Chappell music library.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

What up P Neezey? YES! The Prisoner is THE BEST TELEVISION SHOW EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No doubt, hands down, for sure, no question, BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sixofone.org.uk/

The British made most of the best television ever. Other British shows that are INCREDIBLE.........

The Avengers episodes with Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg

Diana Rigg was BLAZIN'

The Sandbaggers. Most slept on television show of ALL time.

"THE SANDBAGGERS (abbr. SB) was a taut British spy series comprising twenty 50-minute episodes produced by Yorkshire Television, an ITV franchise (i.e., a commercial regional British television franchise). The stories centered on the elite covert operations section of British Intelligence, nicknamed the Sandbaggers, and their boss, Neil Burnside, himself a former Sandbagger, but now having to battle more with British bureaucracy than enemy agents. It was set contemporaneously with its original broadcast in the late '70s and early '80s when the Cold War still dominated the Western intelligence agenda."

Roy Marsden was as Neil Burnside.

The show even had a dope Roy Budd theme song!
    How many UK heads saw this show?

These sites break down all the episodes and characters:

http://www.hmss.com/otherspies/sandbaggers/sandbaggers/default.htm

http://www.opsroom.org/

The British are still making some fine television. Prime Suspect 7 is that REAL SCHITT!!!!!!

•   

HOLY MOLEY!!

And her Terresa in OHMSS is/was without a doubt, the best Bond girl ever!

Beautiful, sexy, smart.
    The type of woman Bond would even consider getting married to.

• Prime Suspect 6 is that REAL SCHITT!!!!!!

Was feeling you on everything until this.
    I dug all the Prime Suspects (missed the 3rd or was it the 4th one), but this last one was WACK!!
    I'm trying to see homegirl solve the ill mystery, not battle her inner demons / wallow in alcoholism for hours.
    Boo hiss.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Prime Suspect 6 is that REAL SCHITT!!!!!!

Was feeling you on everything until this.
    I dug all the Prime Suspects (missed the 3rd or was it the 4th one), but this last one was WACK!!
    I'm trying to see homegirl solve the ill mystery, not battle her inner demons / wallow in alcoholism for hours.
    Boo hiss.

LOL! I thought it was still very good. I was talking about Prime Suspect 7 and not 6. I got the episodes confused. Prime Suspect 7 is the new one that just aired and supposedly the last episode. I do like the first 6 better, but Prime Suspect 7 was still the realness and it was good to see Helen Mirren back on TV. She was much better than the script though.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Homicide, hands down.
    Too good.

• leave it to beaver, no contest

• Seasons 1-8, yes.

Seasons 9 and up, no.

Seriously fell off.

• Seasons 1-8, yes.

Seasons 9 and up, no.

Seriously fell off.

by far the best animated. They do need to step the game up though....

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

^after seeing this clip, im curious about this show(its a clip of a dr doing a recorder mating dance for one of his co-workers, except she sends one of her staff to his office)...i guess it would be sort of uk version of scrubs but way more hilarious.

my fav tv show would be arrested development...and then there's a tie between early simpsons/futurama and south park...uk version of the office...

• U betta overstand it.

• arrested development

the office

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Yes.

I NEED THIS DVD IN MY LIFE.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Seasons 1-8, 3-8 yes.

Seasons 9 and up, no.

Seriously fell off.

DUDE! Ordered this last weekend - should be here on Monday:

All the episodes on official DVD!

I gotta hunt this down this holiday!!!!

I have seasons 1-3 and i'm sorry but they dont hold up now.
    Yes, some episode are bananas but most are regular 70's cop scripts.

Highlights -

Episode w/ Lynda Carter AND Jayne Kennedy - double blapp.

Starsky & Hutch vs Dracula =

Huggy Bear - timeless. There's the one episode where Huggy and some cat start their own Private Eye team. It was meant to be a spinoff show for Huggy & friend, but it was too funny-style..imo.

• I've been rediscovering Exit 57 (via YouTube) ... the Colbert, Dinello & Sedaris combo is so deliciously funny.

On a related note, I recommend the Strangers movie:

And as for more tv:

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Yeah, cats are proclaiming this as the Star Trek of its time - even better w/ the heavy handed social commentary steelo - that a baby can pick up and join right with'em.

So obvious Iraq/US gov themes - ok I get it. I watched the first cuple of episodes and shit was good.
    Im wasnt blown away.

yeah. i dunno, i really like it. The iraq theme is pretty obvious, but i dont think the social commentary pushes you in any one direction politically either.

Plus i think the show looks really cool, and im a sucker for good sci-fi, so if your not, mabye you should avoid.