What Was Your First Blend? DJs!!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Hey,Mine, I remember it like yesterday was:-"Backstrokin'"-Fatback.I was blendin' 'em from two 45s. I taped it on one of those old-school, big Technics tape decks (pop-hand-me-down-related). I had the "next level" BIC Ventura speakers in the bedroom lab (for an 10-year old, anyway; 1979-80 steeze). Damn, that brings back memories.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Nas: It Ain't Hard To Tell over three beats (one per verse):

Isley Bros: Between the Sheets
    Keni Burke: Rising To the Top (these first two came off DJ tools 12"s)
    Black Moon: I Gotcha Opin remix instr.

Still one of my favorite efforts considering that it was my first time trying to use a multi-track recorded and the third verse, with the Black Moon instrumental, changed up on time perfectly with Nas' lyrics.

This was around 1994/5, btw.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Doc Scott - Unknown Ghost

into...

Natural Mystic - Slow Waves

• might not have been the first, but it was early on, and it was definitely the first one that actually worked. black sheep "stroblite honey" with sade's "sweetest taboo". i seem to recall the drum patterns matched up perfectly, and i had it dialed in so that right when DRES says "then i change my stlye..." the melody drops in. shit was a long time ago, but of course seems like yesterday. i had some cutty ranks or buju banton instrumental to come out of it too. i seem to recall good results.
    but it was also the first time i fully realized that i didn't have to play rap music (and in many cases shouldn't) in order to get people to dance and have fun.
    it's an embarassing time for me to flash back to, but still...i think it still sounds good keeping in mind the time and place. i was having fun and people were into it so it could've been worse...

• First sucessful blend was the Eminem I Just Dont Give a Fuck Accapella over the CREAM beat.

• No way I can remember my first.
    Probably something off the Thriller album.

Some of my most infamous...

"Father Figure (George Micheal) b/w "You're a Customer Dub" (EPMD)

"You Will Know" (Stevie Wonder) b/w "Make The Music With Your Mouth Biz Inst." (Biz Markie)

"I'm Only Human" (Human League) b/w "Pickin Boogers Dub" (Biz Markie)

"Seasons Change" (Cover Girls) b/w "Girls Ain't Nothin But Trouble Inst." (Fresh Prince)

"Keep Looking" (Sade) b/w "Do The James Inst." (Super Lover Cee)

"Should I Say Yes" (Nu Shooz) b/w "Its My Turn Dub" (Steezo)

"Affection" (Tamaara and the Seen) b/w "Dwick Inst." (Gangstar)

• Paul Nice, if you're not going to mention it then I will cause I really like the blend you did of "come clean" and "all this love" by DeBarge.

Dress

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Some other blends, from back then, I remember off top were:

-"Funk Box"-Masterdon Committee w/ "Electric Kingdom"-Twilight 22, "Looking for the Perfect Beat"-Afrika Bambatta & the Soulsonic Force, and "Gotta Be Tough"-MC Shy D.

-"We're Weightless"-The Skinny Boys w/ "One Love"-Whodini, and "Run It"-Boogie Boys.

-"I'm Ready"-Kano w/ "Beyond the Clouds"-Quartz, "Get Up and Boogie"-Freddie James, and "Instant Replay"-Dan Hartmann.

-"Disco Nights"-GQ w/ "Movin' On"-Brass Construction, and "Reachin' Out (For Your Love)"-Lee Moore.

-"You're the One for Me"-D Train, "Do it Any Way You Wanna"-Cashmere, and "Play that Beat"-G.L.O.B.E & Whiz Kid.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• good thread.

first blend would most likely have been Fatback "backstrokin" -> Free expresion "chill out"

first blend in a club would be Manu Dibango "new bell" --> Chocolate Starfish "cosmic force"

last blend..... kalyan "let me love you" ---> King Tutt "you got me hung up"

• Hey,

Mine, I remember it like yesterday was:

-"Backstrokin'"-Fatback.

I was blendin' 'em from two 45s. I taped it on one of those old-school, big Technics tape decks (pop-hand-me-down-related). I had the "next level" BIC Ventura speakers in the bedroom lab (for an 10-year old, anyway; 1979-80 steeze). Damn, that brings back memories.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

holy shit, i didn't read this post until i had written mine!! this was my first blend ever!! although i was matching from vg- lp copies.

i remember matching two copies of backstrokin with no headphones...the level from the needle on the wax was strong enough to hear 2's and 4's.

• Maestro Fresh-Wes "Let Your Backbone Slide" (basically, Funky Drummer) with C+C Music Factory "Gonna Make You Sweat".

Hey, I was ten years old.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Hey,

Some other blends, from back then, I remember off top were:

-"Funk Box"-Masterdon Committee

this is such a great record for blends, b/c it starts off with vocals then goes into a long ass instro.... (the b-side, i mean...)