HIP HOP LESSONS- HAPPY THANKSTAKING EVERYONE! mp3s

Comments

• Listening to this stuff feels like church to me.

• Thanks Phill, much appreciated. This is my kind of thread.

Does anyone know where one can acquire a nice collection of live stuff, early cold crush tapes and stuff like that? It's not like I can go out digging for it these days. I also don't really have much in the "tape" area to trade with anyone. Anybody sell this kind of stuff? Dubs are cool. I'm obviously not going to find any original tapes, nor do I have that kind of cash.

I will share some stuff as well. Enjoy. Thanks for starting this thread Phill and thanks to everyone else who added stuff.

melle mel and gm flash live
    http://download.yousendit.com/F8C29B9264112ECA

Dougie Fresh and Barry B
    http://download.yousendit.com/84D81DE62DC85C3C

Miked and Mc Holiday freestyle
    http://download.yousendit.com/43CE4581048CC635

KRS freestyle
    http://download.yousendit.com/4B91D3944E8DD908

"I would have punched her out, but she drove a bmw!"

• I the dougie fresh and barry b.

• I would love to hear some Kid Capri or Chuck Chill Out mixtapes if anybody has some laying around....

Thanks for all the music!

Dress

• i though i had nothing like the amazing schitt being posted in this awesome thread, but just now i did find one thing: its from about 0ctober 1988, i taped this off the radio in Baltimore. i dont know what station it was, but it was probably friday night because it was being mixed live. Theres nothing obscure in what the dj is playing, but its all classics - the symphony, latifahs wrath of my madness, etc, all fresh 1988 stuff, with extended breakdown/cutting sessions. its cool to hear him cutting it up, he sorta messes up here and there, but its cool.

anybody have any idea what station this was or who was the dj on air?

about 30 min of 1988 Baltimore Hip Hop radio, live mixing.

(you can hear i found it by accident, just flipping thru the dial while taping, trying to find funny or cool stuff. thems were the days...)

• Thanks Phill, much appreciated. This is my kind of thread.

Does anyone know where one can acquire a nice collection of live stuff, early cold crush tapes and stuff like that? It's not like I can go out digging for it these days. I also don't really have much in the "tape" area to trade with anyone. Anybody sell this kind of stuff? Dubs are cool. I'm obviously not going to find any original tapes, nor do I have that kind of cash.

go to oldschoolhiphop.com - you can stream some classic shows

http://www.oldschoolhiphop.com/liveshows.htm

The CC show is the one where Caz goes off on somebody in the crowd who offers them a dime (i think) to shut up - Classic Raw shitt

And the Bambaata show is just off the hook electro

• I would love to hear some Kid Capri or Chuck Chill Out mixtapes if anybody has some laying around....

Dress

Kid Capri's 52 beats tape:

http://download.yousendit.com/D3564B2B4910ACCA

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

• Thanks mate, next step must be to see Kid Capri spin....

Does anybody knows what happend to Chuck Chillout?

Dress

Dress

Ask and ye shall recieve Chuck Chillout on the mix. 1986, Killing it without question. Yo DOR, that RUN DMC shit just made my year

• Speaking of that show, whatever happened to Mike O'Connors' rap group, Paul? Plaese tell me he hit you off with promo copies, I'd love to hear him on the mic.

Please refresh my horrible memory.
    Mike O'Connor?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Phill & co. - thanks so much for bringing the old-school . This thread is where it's at.

My only gripe is that Phill's first yousendit links are already tapped. Is it possible for someone to re-up those? I apparently came too late

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    i though i had nothing like the amazing schitt being posted in this awesome thread, but just now i did find one thing: its from about 0ctober 1988, i taped this off the radio in Baltimore. i dont know what station it was, but it was probably friday night because it was being mixed live. Theres nothing obscure in what the dj is playing, but its all classics - the symphony, latifahs wrath of my madness, etc, all fresh 1988 stuff, with extended breakdown/cutting sessions. its cool to hear him cutting it up, he sorta messes up here and there, but its cool.

(you can hear i found it by accident, just flipping thru the dial while taping, trying to find funny or cool stuff. thems were the days...)

I'm 99.9% sure that this was V103 when they were a strictly hiphop format. Dj's Frank-Ski, Ken A and Zubee, and there were possibly a few more. They always had a live mix Friday nights that went on FOREVER. They started around 7 and went till about 2am. I have to dig through my old tapes as it's possible I have some more. I had SO many tapes from that show but I think they either wore out or got dubbed over around 92-93. I used to live in York, Pa and V103 other than the Monday night college radio hiphop show was the best thing around. V103 usually had all the exclusives for that region and every now and again they would get Ron G's feed live from NY.

*edit - If I remember correctly, Frank-Ski was the DJ on there doing the mixing for a LONG time until Ken A and Zubee did the mixing starting in 93-ish. There's always that .1% chance that the particular mix was from 92Q though. I couldn't pick that signal up most of the time unless i was actually IN b-more.

That DJ who probably did that mix, Frank Ski, was rumored to have been run out of B-more for being caught with a transvestite hooker, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed.

• i though i had nothing like the amazing schitt being posted in this awesome thread, but just now i did find one thing: its from about 0ctober 1988, i taped this off the radio in Baltimore. i dont know what station it was, but it was probably friday night because it was being mixed live. Theres nothing obscure in what the dj is playing, but its all classics - the symphony, latifahs wrath of my madness, etc, all fresh 1988 stuff, with extended breakdown/cutting sessions. its cool to hear him cutting it up, he sorta messes up here and there, but its cool.

*sniff...i love you Phil.....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My only gripe is that Phill's first links yousendit links are already tapped. Is it possible for someone to re-up those? I apparently came too late

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE RESUPPLY THE ORIGINAL LINKS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE????

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Here's some leftovers I found in the back of the fridge from the Phill dinner. DJ Hollywood Kool Moe Dee w T La Rock (reloads from Master Most post)

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Thanks Phill and everyone for all of this. great stuff.
    I dont have anything to add here, but I can contribute and show my appreciation by re-up'ing everything for those that missed it (hope this is ok with everyone).

Ive rar'd it all up here: The complete Hip Hop Lessons[/b]

But it's half a gig, so be patient. Ive got a lot of bandwidth, but if I get hit really badly, Ill have to cut it off. Please understand.

I'm 99.9% sure that this was V103 when they were a strictly hiphop format. Dj's Frank-Ski, Ken A and Zubee, and there were possibly a few more. They always had a live mix Friday nights that went on FOREVER. They started around 7 and went till about 2am. I have to dig through my old tapes as it's possible I have some more. I had SO many tapes from that show but I think they either wore out or got dubbed over around 92-93. I used to live in York, Pa and V103 other than the Monday night college radio hiphop show was the best thing around. V103 usually had all the exclusives for that region and every now and again they would get Ron G's feed live from NY.

*edit - If I remember correctly, Frank-Ski was the DJ on there doing the mixing for a LONG time until Ken A and Zubee did the mixing starting in 93-ish. There's always that .1% chance that the particular mix was from 92Q though. I couldn't pick that signal up most of the time unless i was actually IN b-more.

That DJ who probably did that mix, Frank Ski, was rumored to have been run out of B-more for being caught with a transvestite hooker, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed.

pacman, thank u 4 knowledge dropped!

that year in school (88-89) was insane for music. i lived in an apartment building and we had a second story window looking down onto basically the corner of dolphin and howard. for about 8 months, we heard "it takes two" blasting out of a passing car an average of 20 times a day (night), every single day.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    look foward to hearing these joints...

and damn, whats with american's late assed thanksgiving...no wonder there's so many american fatties, you guys got thanksgiving and xmas back to back!

• Thaks to Phill for this food. Bless everyone else who added on. I missed most of this as the holiday coincided with my B-day. But thanks for these memories.

• best thread ever? thanks phill

• THE COLD CRUSH BROTHERS VS. THE FORCE MC'S- Patterson NJ[/b]
    In this infamous battle, Cold Crush went first and had no idea that it was really even a battle... they just did their show and broke out to do another performance back in NY later that night

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=106B1A5D05937B94

Can I get a re-up on this? This happened only a couple of towns over from me.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I dont have anything to add here, but I can contribute and show my appreciation by re-up'ing everything for those that missed it (hope this is ok with everyone).

Ive rar'd it all up here: The complete Hip Hop Lessons[/b]

Thank you, Doctafunk!

• Thanks man. Appreciate it.