HIP HOP LESSONS- HAPPY THANKSTAKING EVERYONE! mp3s

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Here ya go... REAL SCHITT from the 80's, live old school hip hop. You know how I do!DJ HOLLYWOOD[/b]Classic Hollywood, singing over the Isaac Hayes "Ike's Mood" break. This is where Mary J got it from back in the days. (BTW, I know this is probably not the place to request this, but if anybody has Hollywood doing his "Risin' To The Top" routine let a real head know... my tape got ate up a couple years ago)http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=257DE7A94E3CC9FATHE COLD CRUSH BROTHERS VS. THE FORCE MC'S- Patterson NJ[/b]In this infamous battle, Cold Crush went first and had no idea that it was really even a battle... they just did their show and broke out to do another performance back in NY later that nighthttp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=106B1A5D05937B94After the CC4 left, the Doctor Rock & The Force got onstage and proceeded to RIP THE COLD CRUSH A NEW ONE with their singing stylehttp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=52C5615A7FDEE2ACFrom what I understand, when the Cold Crush found out later how the Force MCs went at them, they approached them backstage at a show with guns and the whole nine, ready to set it off and made the Force apologize KOOL MOE DEE & T-LA ROCK /w TEDDY TED[/b]One of my favorite live tapes, it's good to hear Moe Dee showing just why he is revered by other mcs like Rakim, Kool G Rap, Nas etc... most of Moe's best stuff was never put on record (all that "Wild Wild West", "How Ya Like Me Now" stuff may have been hits but that schitt was NOT that real schitt!). If Moe would've made records more like this his legendary status wouldn't be questioned by anyone. Even still, as always, And T-La Rock is also http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FB5022D132E6A0F7MARLEY MARL, BIZ MARKIE & MC SHAN[/b]Biz on the beat box, Shan on the mic rhymin' and Marley on the cut. What else needs to be said? http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BDE6AD006639E80DHAPPY REAL SCHITT HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!!!!!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The CC4 were never the same after that. R&B > Rap.......

Force MC's had newer routines and way better harmonization. It was like those cats can really sing.

MJ impression....timeless.

• Thanks for that Phill!

Particularly for the Force MC's joint.

Force MC's and Doctor Rock was one of the very first hip hop shows I saw at Smith Street Community Center in Poughkeepsie, NY in early '82.
    And they actually did 2 of those routines (the "I Will Survive" and the "Rocky" joints).
    But get this, there was actually a crew up here from Newburgh calling themselves "Cold Crush" (I'm not kidding), and they were actually really good. One of them was Kid Nice who was a disciple of Bam and put out a couple of rekids in the early 80's, and later fucked up what looked like a promising career after fucking over his manager Tommy Mottola. The real Cold Crush was supposed to come upstate and battle for the name and there's even a flyer for the event that was in a recent Wax Poetics, but I don't think Caz and them ever showed if I remember correctly. Big suprise. But that's another story.
    Anyway, the upstate Cold Crush was on the same bill as the Force MC's that night and the Force MC's did those same routines like I said but still managed to flip the names of each local crew member into their shit.
    Dope as fuck at the time, but now after hearing that tape it makes it somehow even better.
    Doctor Rock also did this routine where he was catching "Last Night Changed It All" and he kept catching the part in the middle where she goes "had a ball", "had a ball", "had a ball" all the while doing tricks with a basketball. That shit right there is what made me want to DJ.
    I've NEVER been able to find that routine anywhere and I don't know why I never thought of asking you since you seem to be the king of these old tapes.
    Let me know something good Philly Phill!!

• Doctor Rock also did this routine where he was catching "Last Night Changed It All" and he kept catching the part in the middle where she goes "had a ball", "had a ball", "had a ball" all the while doing tricks with a basketball. That shit right there is what made me want to DJ.
    I've NEVER been able to find that routine anywhere and I don't know why I never thought of asking you since you seem to be the king of these old tapes.
    Let me know something good Philly Phill!!

Yep, he does it on that same tape where they go at the Cold Crush. It's kinda messed up because i think the stage was weak and the records kept jumping... I'm not sure, I haven't listened to the whole tape in years. I'll hook ya up though, mayne.

And nah, I wish I was the king of the old school tapes... that title has to go to Troy L. Smith. I got a lot, but he's got hundreds. He digs for those tapes like i used to dig for breaks! Troy also handles most of the interviews over at Jayquan's site, The Foundation... an invaluable resource for anybody who even gives half a damn about the true history of hip hop music.

• You're the best Phill!
    I don't care what NOBODY says!

Not to keep pestering you, but I've also been looking FOREVER for this tape I used to have.
    It was from the early 90's and it was L.L. rhyming over Keep Rising To The Top at Chuck Chillout's b-day party I believe.
    The rhymes were pretty much the same as the ones from that song he did later for one of the House Party ST albums. Ya know, the one where's he's dissing Ice T and Hammer.
    "I be like Bruce Lee in that ass going 'Waaaaaaaaah!!!!"

For some reason, that whole rhyme just came off so much harder over that Keni Burke shit than whatever beat he used for the House Party joint.

Tell me ya got it Phill!!

• Thanks!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Phill, thanks for these homay! Can't wait to hear these - especially the Kool Moe Dee and Cold Chillin joints. I had a bunch of the classics (KMD vs. Busy Bee, Kane and Biz live, 20 minute show of Slick Rick & Doug E. Fresh @ The Red Parrot, a bunch of CCB/FF stuff etc.), but lost ALL of it when my HD crashed . So this is a good way to get back on track.

• nice one Phill

• Thanks!

Here's KMD crushing Busy Bee for those that don't have it

http://download.yousendit.com/34CCA9E50DCE7B5A

• One good turn deserves another... Here's a 1979(?) Brooklyn park jam with dj Grandmaster Flowers. Sorry the file is so big, I'm no expert with this internets music sharing shit.

yo...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is fantastic stuff - thanks, people.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    this thread is incredible. thanks guys.

where would one obtain this 'hip hop lessons' thing in it's entirety, phill?

• Yo, just so you know... this clip here has nothing to do with Grandmixer DST. That's a performance LL did here in Philly at After Midnight in 1985 that was played on Lady B's show on Power 99. A lot of people don't know, but this clip was one of the main things that got LL's buzz going big time right before he blew up... first this, then his cameo in Krush Groove. Man, when I heard that freestyle I was totally ... like, this is the craziest display of emceeing I ever heard. Then my cousin, the consummate rap lyric
    connoisseur, broke it down for me: "Phill, he's really not saying anything" and pointed specifically to his line about his voice metriculating like a grand piano. That schitt is still fresh anyway, f**k it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Great stuff here...

I don't remember where I got this from but here it is, THANKS!

The Krown Rulers[/b] "Kick The Ball" (Live from After Midnight, Philly 1988)

Enjoy!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    One good turn deserves another... Here's a 1979(?) Brooklyn park jam with dj Grandmaster Flowers. Sorry the file is so big, I'm no expert with this internets music sharing shit.

yo...

I'm listening to this right now. Must have been 78/79, with joints like Hot Shot and Shame. Those were big records in the UK back when I was a little punk-rocker. Amazing shit - love the emcee's "English" accent as well. If anyone can tell me what that mid-tempo joint is that he plays for about a minute between Shame and Runaway Love, I'd appreciate it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Great stuff here...

I don't remember where I got this from but here it is, THANKS!

The Krown Rulers[/b] "Kick The Ball" (Live from After Midnight, Philly 1988)

Enjoy!

That's my joint, right there!!!! I had that on a KYS tape back then, but somehow I lost it. Wasn't "Kick the Ball" on a 12"? I've somebody has that, get at me on the PMs (please!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The OG version of Kick The Ball that most people are familiar with was on the Phanjam EP. There's a remix of it on the Krown Rulers album "Paper Chase" that isn't as good. I never heard of it being on a 12".

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Alien,

Thanks, man!!! Oh yeah, anyone have some clips of those Classic Concept joints from the mid-80's. I used to like those cats. What happened to them? While I'm at it, what about the 3 Z MC's from Baltimore ("Triple Threat")?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• this thread is incredible. thanks guys.

where would one obtain this 'hip hop lessons' thing in it's entirety, phill?

"Hip Hop Lessons" (aka KNOW YOUR REAL SCHITT HISTORY) is a class I teach here on Soulstrut every now and then. As time goes on, the origins of hip hop get lost and new generations come up that really don't know where the music came from. It is my resposibility, as an elder statesman, to share my many years of hip hop experience with those who were not around to soak this all in as it happened. Unfortunately, some are resistant when you try to use words to educate, so I think it's better sometimes to just let the music speak for itself. Some will still be resistant- to that, all I can say is may God be with them. To the rest, I hope you enjoy and appreciate this REAL SCHITT that I bestow upon you. Hear it, absorb it, BE IT.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Thanks Uncle Phil, Soulstrut massive...

I feel like I just ate my vitamins. except they tasted good too..

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Thanks to all for sharing these mp3's.

• Doctor Rock also did this routine where he was catching "Last Night Changed It All" and he kept catching the part in the middle where she goes "had a ball", "had a ball", "had a ball" all the while doing tricks with a basketball. That shit right there is what made me want to DJ.

paul, i think ive heard you juggle that same part...and i gotta have it on tape around here somewhere aka the saga of Louie and Ruel vs WVKR!

seeing paul nice,cosmo baker and the soulman in the same thread is like some holy trinity shit for me. RESPECT! and thnaks for all the clips!

• Phil Most and the rest of you Hip Hop Historians are Cold

• Not to keep pestering you, but I've also been looking FOREVER for this tape I used to have.
    It was from the early 90's and it was L.L. rhyming over Keep Rising To The Top at Chuck Chillout's b-day party I believe.

I think I may have this somewhere on my HD at the lab, I'll post it if no one else obliges before I go back to work (Tuesday)...

Thanks to everyone for sharing as well !!!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    paul, i think ive heard you juggle that same part...and i gotta have it on tape around here somewhere aka the saga of Louie and Ruel vs WVKR!

Yup, I got a tape of that show myself, that was most definitely the real schitt for a new jack like me. Paul rocking "Human Nature" over the "Substitution" drums =

Speaking of that show, whatever happened to Mike O'Connors' rap group, Paul? Plaese tell me he hit you off with promo copies, I'd love to hear him on the mic.