Post-Modern Soul...?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Teena Maria? You sound white.

Psyche. I was just about to play "It Must Be Magic." Hahahah.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I rode for this album when it came out. Me and my girl at the time, it was game over on this. I had the CD and the cassette as well.

Kind of a tangent, considering it came out in 94 when "Neo" was in full swing, but this thread just made me remember it at put it on.

That title track is supernice. Not dissing, though, but I kinda remember this falling into the dreaded "Quiet Storm" category in 1994.

SG

• Nice one.

Also, James Ingram... Patti Austin?

Where were they in 88-91? Maybee?

What about -

I think there are some NJSwingish stuff on here.

I was thinking about this later Teena stuff, as well.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I rode for this album when it came out. Me and my girl at the time, it was game over on this. I had the CD and the cassette as well.

Kind of a tangent, considering it came out in 94 when "Neo" was in full swing, but this thread just made me remember it at put it on.

That title track is supernice. Not dissing, though, but I kinda remember this falling into the dreaded "Quiet Storm" category in 1994.

SG

I don't dread "quiet storm."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Braxton, Houston, Pendergrass, Natalie Cole.

Early Mariah?

Braxton - No, her seminal singles were derivative NJS.

Whitney Houston's first joint hovers between both "sub-genres".

Teddy - Joy.......yes.

Natalie Cole....not familiar w/ her post 85/86 output.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Early Mariah?

But what about The Braxtons as a group? I was thinking about them before but didn't put it down.

Also, what about Shalamar and and both Howard Hewett an Jodi Watley as soloists. Jodi is definitley a little more NJS steez but Howard got that smooth shit though dog.

Early Mariah?

But what about The Braxtons as a group? I was thinking about them before but didn't put it down.

Also, what about Shalamar and and both Howard Hewett an Jodi Watley as soloists. Jodi is definitley a little more NJS steez but Howard got that smooth shit though dog.

No Jodi but Howard Hewitt's late 80's output - trenchcoat soul for real.

The Braxtons are 90's and Toni derivative/urban influence.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I honestly don't remember anything about The Braxtons aside from their existence.

• trenchcoat soul

Mind blown. Face melted.

Soundstage with the set wet?

• I honestly don't remember anything about The Braxtons aside from their existence.

they had a song on the High School High soundtrack

but I don't remember what it was called

I also remember that none of them were as fine as Toni

And Proto-Neo Soul. 1987...

I also remember that none of them were as fine as Toni

Tamar can compete but.....

• I see we're on the same sine wave with that Darby, BATMON.

Did anyone mention Jeffrey Osbourne?

Carl Anderson's "Buttercup" is coming to mind right about now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

And Proto-Neo Soul. 1987...

Proto indeed. And actually I was quite into his mid 90s stuff to, the Vibrator album. Too bad dude lost his mind.

Also, it's official and I've broken out my "Back On The Block" CD. Sho ya right.

Did anyone mention Jeffrey Osbourne?

1986......never heard it though.

Also, it's official and I've broken out my "Back On The Block" CD. Sho ya right.

Al B. Sure/El DeBarge/Barry White/James Ingram/

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Running through it for like the 4th time in a row. Pretty much uber uber.

Running through it for like the 4th time in a row. Pretty much uber uber.

But do you have the 12" single?

Instramentals+

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Stacy Lattisaw has a song called "I'm Not The Same Girl" that is fucking banging, and not poppy.
    Shannon? She's not mod soul
    Throwing this up on here for kicks:

Also, what about Shalamar

Modern - 1983

Jodi had went solo by the mid 80's doing that Rakim collabo.

And maybe someone could speak on the Shalamar version w/ Hewitt and the 2 new cats. Hot chick and money who looked like a chick?

Al B. Sure is w/ Keith Sweat/Bobby Brown.

But Bobby Brown's first solo joint iz

• Throwing this up on here for kicks:

now thats a nice song. but ive got "80s snare sound" issues that distract me. its all "PISHHHtttt". (not as bad as the hair metal bands tho.)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Accepting mid 80s soul as the truth will bring you one step closer to being truly "Grown and Sexy".

• Proto indeed. And actually I was quite into his mid 90s stuff to, the Vibrator album. Too bad dude lost his mind.

dont sleep on '93's "symphony or damn"! some niiiice tracks on there. "let her down easy".. etc.

"Both Miki Howard and Howard Hewitt began their solo careers at a time when R&B music was in transition. Howard's debut Come Share My Love (1986) and Hewitt's I Commit To Love (1986) were released the same year that Luther Vandross and Anita Baker and their "retro-nouveau" soul (as defined by Nelson George) found their way to "crossover" audiences, a year after Whitney Houston's breakout debut (which sold 10 million copies) and the same year that Run-DMC's collaboration with Aerosmith on "Walk This Way" would forever change the (video) landscape of popular music. A year later, Eric B and Rakim, Boogie Down Productions with KRS-One, and Public Enemy would release groundbreaking full length and 12-inch recordings. By the time PE's It Takes A Nation of Millions became the most talked about political pop since Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? and Rakim was guesting on Jody Watley's track "Friends" (the first successful R&B/hip-hop hybrid recording, the music of Full Force not withstanding), it was clear that R&B's fortunes were intimately tied to the urban "noise" that it had tried to distance itself from since "Rapper's Delight" hit the airwaves in the fall of 1979. [/b]"

"It was Teddy Riley who first successfully married hip-hop's swagger with R&B's harmonies, creating the rich textured sound that would be named "New Jack Swing", leading the way for the Puffys, JDs, and R. Kelly's of the world. By 1992 a host of "mature" R&B vocalists including the late Phyllis Hyman, Will Downing, Rachelle Ferrell, Stephanie Mills and Regina Bell were being put out to (adult contemporary and smooth jazz) pasture to make way for the likes of SWV, Shai, Jade, Jodeci and later Joe, Mary J Blige, Aaliyah, and Usher -- all fine artists, but artists who clearly were given to providing for the "urban" and hip-hop faithful. Capturing their output from their 1986 debuts to their last "commercial" releases in 1992 The Very Best of Howard Hewitt and The Very Best of Miki Howard compiles the artistry of two of the "transitional" R&B performers who managed to survive and momentarily ward off the coming "old-school" purge. [/b]"

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Carl Anderson's "Buttercup" is coming to mind right about now.

Good tune! I think this qualifies as "Modern" though, as it first appeared on Anderson's "Absence Without Love" LP from '83.

I believe this was later featured on his S/T compilation LP from 87.

SG

Where does Levert fall in this category?

(POP,POP,POP,POP) GOES MY MIND - 1986

I thought THE BIG THROWDOWN was their first LP?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Accepting mid 80s soul as the truth will bring you one step closer to being truly "Grown and Sexy".
    HELL YES!

Mom used to always rock jams like the ones mentioned in this thread, when I was growing up.
    So my perspective is that this is the music that grown folk play.

BATMON, I think you owe us a Quiet Storm mix.

• wow! great job of bringing up a bunch of garbage from when i was like 15.

that al b. sure stuff was classic, how about some Junior(mama used to say). that michael narada(sp)walden cat, did he produce that al b. sure material?

i think someone asked for this.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EC2C74846A49E269