Post-Modern Soul...?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Is there such a thing? Just pondering? Cats who werent totally embracing New Jack Swing from 86 to "Neo-Soul's" emergance.Maybe we can sling around some artists who fit this bill. I was gonna consider Phyllis Hyman's late output as an example.Feel free to shoot this down, but after 85 up until Teddy Riley/Babyface/JimmyJam&TerryLewis' reigns there a whole gang of rekkids.Keith Washington?Howard Hewitt?El DeBarge?Just throwin it out there.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wouldn't this all just be considered 80s R&B? Even a lot of NJS stuff falls into this category as well I would say.

And yes, Phyllis Hyman's records would fall here. Maybe Angela Bofill stuff... Anita (who is in a class by herself IMO.)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Anita Baker(who is in a class by herself IMO.)

True. Nelson George called het "Retro-Newvo Soul".

Its all 80's R&B really - I'm just looking at cats who DIDNT let Hip Hop/NJS totally influence their sound.

Brian Mcknight?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Where does Levert fall in this category, or Alexander Oneil?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is a good thread because I just put on some Anita and have donned my slippers.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Brian Mcknight?

Brian McKnight!!!

Where does Levert fall in this category, or Alexander Oneil?

Levert as a trio were doing NJS.

Alexander O'Neil is right there.

Isnt he Mid to late 80's?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I would maybe call Levert like Pre-NJS. "Cassanova" definitely is but the early shit no so much, but kind of maybe had the sound that kind of transformed into it. AO was definitely mid 80s R&B. When did "Innocent" come out?

• Stacy Lattisaw?

Jesse Johnson?

Alexander O'Neil

Gregory Abbott?

Peabo?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Peabo oh yeah. Can't forget Luther.

• Brian Mcknight?

Brian McKnight!!!

his joint with ill and al skratch was still is killer...the epmd sample...'looked up and down and said hmmm ill take her'....loved that shit!!

I would maybe call Levert like Pre-NJS. "Cassanova" definitely is but the early shit no so much, but kind of maybe had the sound that kind of transformed into it. AO was definitely mid 80s R&B. When did "Innocent" come out?

But Casanova was that "wanna be Hiphop synth clone shit".IMO

Levert had that "urban" thang. That's why SuperLover C could reference it because of its status in the street.

Innocent & Youre a Fake.......

Stacy Lattisaw? I think her later output would qualify.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Gregory Abbott? Modern Soul

Peabo? Maybe?

Stacy Lattislaw and Gregory are really poppy kinda though.

Gregory Abbott? Modern Soul

Peabo? Maybe?

Stacy Lattislaw and are really poppy kinda though.

Stacy's version of "I Found Love On A Two Way Street" is a monster but that's Modern.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    We're showing our age with this thread.

• im way not an expert, but i always felt that there was some sort of divide from what we call modern soul, which to me is not r e a l l y different from "80s rnb" (though '80s rnb' does go later i guess), and 'todays' soul, which id define as rnb of the modern hip hop era that isnt hip-hop: d'angelo, jill scott, john legend, etc. that to me would be "post modern soul" the way post modern art was the label given to art after "modern art" sort of ended. but thats just me.

• We're showing our age with this thread.

speak for yourself old-timer

I'm still an 80's baby

would you guys consider the groups after 7 or Surface to be part of this genre?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    im way not an expert, but i always felt that there was some sort of divide from what we call modern soul, which to me is not r e a l l y different from "80s rnb" (though '80s rnb' does go later i guess), and 'todays' soul, which id define as rnb of the modern hip hop era that isnt hip-hop: d'angelo, jill scott, john legend, etc. that to me would be "post modern soul" the way post modern art was the label given to art after "modern art" sort of ended. but thats just me.

Fools just added the "modern" part to the whole equation recently. It's always just been R&B. But There's a definitive sound that was like a "coming out of the 70s" boogie like sound and a "stepping in the New Jack Swing era" sound that is right between these sounds that I THINK Batmon is getting at... right dude?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

hell

yes

im way not an expert, but i always felt that there was some sort of divide from what we call modern soul, which to me is not r e a l l y different from "80s rnb" (though '80s rnb' does go later i guess), and 'todays' soul, which id define as rnb of the modern hip hop era that isnt hip-hop: d'angelo, jill scott, john legend, etc. that to me would be "post modern soul" the way post modern art was the label given to art after "modern art" sort of ended. but thats just me.

Post Modern Soul isnt Neo Soul. Its cats not fallin into "HIPhop production".
    When New Jack Swing hit, cats started incorporating breaks into the mix like Teddy Riley.

Michel'le is proto-new jack swing....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Post Modern Soul isnt Neo Soul. Its cats not fallin into "HIPhop production".
    When New Jack Swing hit, cats started incorporating breaks into the mix like Teddy Riley.

Michel'le is proto-new jack swing....

Michel'e is West Coast New Jack Swing.

Fools just added the "modern" part to the whole equation recently. It's always just been R&B. But There's a definitive sound that was like a "coming out of the 70s" boogie like sound and a "stepping in the New Jack Swing era" sound that is right between these sounds that I THINK Batmon is getting at... right dude?

Exactly. And It continued until D'Angelo/Maxwell/Badu changed the landscape.

After 7 had Babyface as a producer who mimiced Riley's fusion combos IMO.

Surface - maybe.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I rode for this album when it came out. Me and my girl at the time, it was game over on this. I had the CD and the cassette as well.

Kind of a tangent, considering it came out in 94 when "Neo" was in full swing, but this thread just made me remember it at put it on.

I rode for this album when it came out. Me and my girl at the time, it was game over on this. I had the CD and the cassette as well.

Kind of a tangent, considering it came out in 94 when "Neo" was in full swing, but this thread just made me remember it at put it on.

No doubt.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, James Ingram... Patti Austin?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Anyone got an MP3 of "Haven't You Heard"

Nice one.

Also, James Ingram... Patti Austin?

Where were they in 88-91? Maybee?

What about -

I think there are some NJSwingish stuff on here.

• Braxton, Houston, Pendergrass, Natalie Cole.

Early Mariah?